PDA

View Full Version : pesticides and pets

Surferbum21
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
okay so i am still new to this and i have a very important question. i sprayed my mom's yard 3 days ago with pend aqua and trimec. i took my dogs (my children as of now) over there b/c i would be gone all day working n hate leaving em at home for extended periods. I went to check on them and my girl is completely yellow where she is white. that scares me. I know everyone says keep of until dry and to really keep pets of for 1 or 2 days. should i be worried about my pups being out there on the treated grass? she only got the front watered in and not the back where they were at.

Marcos
02-26-2009, 05:52 PM
okay so i am still new to this and i have a very important question. i sprayed my mom's yard 3 days ago with pend aqua and trimec. i took my dogs (my children as of now) over there b/c i would be gone all day working n hate leaving em at home for extended periods. I went to check on them and my girl is completely yellow where she is white. that scares me. I know everyone says keep of until dry and to really keep pets of for 1 or 2 days. should i be worried about my pups being out there on the treated grass? she only got the front watered in and not the back where they were at.

Does this dog have a habit of rubbing itself into the grass?
Or... is the grass unusually tall right now?

IF... you followed label mixing instructions for BOTH products, you should be O.K. with pets.
But the area you're talking about didn't get watered in...
I assume the grass was allowed to dry thoroughly first, before pets were allowed out, right? :confused:

The effect of the broadleaf weed control (trimec) would be my higher concern, vs. that of pendimethilin.
What you're seeing with the yellow staining is a signature symptom of a comparatively benign substance, when you consider the vast difference in the LD 50s of both products.

Surferbum21
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
yea it has been 3 days.

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
were the kids/dogs playing on it the day you sprayed?

Runner
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome to pendimethilin. It will turn your world yellow. There are a couple of questions raised here, that are very good and relevant questions. To first address Tombo's question, I believe the dog(s) were not put out on this grass until 3 days later, is this correct?
But the question of the dog rubbing it's belly is a good one...however, even if laying on the yard,..it could do this - especially if the grass became slightly damp, or it had a dew on it. The second question, was the grass long...This is one I'd like to know....A good reason is,..if it IS ling, this pre-M is going to have a harder time reaching the soil. Regardless, this stuff should have been watered in - first, to avoid photo degradation, and second, for the safety of pets who are knowingly going to be placed on the turf. Give the dogs a good bath, and eventually, the stain will wear off. I believe they will be ok, though. Watch for things like hyperactivity and decline of appetite just in case.

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
If the lawn was left alone for a day I dont see a problem at all. think of it like this. When people use pesticides/herbicides/fungicides the LD and LC are based of taking an exact dose of that and injesting that. When we apply these chemicals they are diluted and dispersed by water so that dose has now been spread out. When you spray a lawn your taking that applying it on the lawn which again is filtering out that chemical to even a smaller percentage. Then its being filtered out with the plants uptaking it, volitilization, and through the sun absorbing it. So now the particles of the chemical are so dispersed and filtered that they pose not much of a threat. Secondly studies have shown that caffiene has a higher LD and LC then 70-80 percent of the chemicals on the market. Most of the harmful chemicals are pesticides, which in this case was not sprayed, so i would not worry about it. At the golf course, when i spray fairways with fungicides and pesticides mixed in the same tank when im done no sooner then 10 minutes later golfers are going through, and no problems have ever occured and that is 10 minutes after i sprayed, not a day.

Surferbum21
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
thanks guys. i'll make sure my mom waters it in real good this time and next time before i put the kids on the yard. it obviously worried my wife b/c she is covered in yellow and it worries me b/c what if this was a client? i mean what could i do or say to them to calm them down and that nothing will happen?

Runner
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Most of the harmful chemicals are pesticides, which in this case was not sprayed, so i would not worry about it. At the golf course, when i spray fairways with fungicides and pesticides mixed in the same tank when im done no sooner then 10 minutes later golfers are going through, and no problems have ever occured and that is 10 minutes after i sprayed, not a day.

Pendimethilin is a pesticide.
Also, if you are letting people on the greens 10 minutes after they are treated, you are breaking the law.:hammerhead:

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Also, if you are letting people on the greens 10 minutes after they are treated, you are breaking the law.:hammerhead:

Pendimethilin is a herbicide. Im talking pesticides like gets rid of insects, sry i should of been a little more descriptive on that and said insecticides.

Unfortunately try telling that to golfers, that the course is closed 2 days every 2 weeks. The club wants nothing to do with that. Plus like i said the chemicals thay we spray are not that toxic and they are mixed in a 300gal sprayer, once that is mixed and sprayed and volitilization, plants absorbing it, and the suns affects the concentrate on the grass is so meager, it wont do anything. Unless the person wnats to go around and lick every inch of the fairways that i sprayed.

Runner
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah,...I was just explaining that herbicides are pesticides. And any pesticides with pets shouldn't be taken lightly...atleast looked into.

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Pendimethilin is a herbicide. Im talking pesticides like gets rid of insects, sry i should of been a little more descriptive on that and said insecticides.

Unfortunately try telling that to golfers, that the course is closed 2 days every 2 weeks. The club wants nothing to do with that, every golf course does it. It may not be 10 minutes after it but a couple of hours yes. Plus like i said the chemicals thay we spray are not that toxic and they are mixed in a 300gal sprayer, once that is mixed and sprayed and volitilization, plants absorbing it, and the suns affects the concentrate on the grass is so meager, it wont do anything. Unless the person wnats to go around and lick every inch of the fairways that i sprayed. Its kind of the same situation you are in. After you are done spraying a lawn do you site their and make sure people dont walk on the lawn, or do you fence it off? As soon as you leave someone may walk on that lawn or the homeowner may send their dogs out, are you breaking the law then? If you give warning that you are spraying, what else can you do? If a person wants to walk in it, its their call.

RigglePLC
02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Pendimethalin is rather low in toxicity. LD 50 is greater than 5000 milligrams per kilogram. This probably means they were unable to kill the rats at the highest amount that they could be fed(5000). They also fed dogs at a high level for 2 years--with only slight symptoms in the liver.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/pendimethalin-ext.html

Follow the label. You will notice they say nothing about keeping dogs off the treated area. People must stay off until dry, or the dust has settled.

Scotts has used Pendi for years, they would have been sued to death if there were any real problems. You may prefer to use the granular next time. It falls down into the thatch layer--white dogs stay white. Less mess on white fences, drives, vinyl sideing and your clothes.

tombo82685
02-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Pendimethalin is rather low in toxicity. LD 50 is greater than 5000 milligrams per kilogram. This probably means they were unable to kill the rats at the highest amount that they could be fed(5000). They also fed dogs at a high level for 2 years--with only slight symptoms in the liver.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/pendimethalin-ext.html

Follow the label. You will notice they say nothing about keeping dogs off the treated area. People must stay off until dry, or the dust has settled.

Scotts has used Pendi for years, they would have been sued to death if there were any real problems. You may prefer to use the granular next time. It falls down into the thatch layer--white dogs stay white. Less mess on white fences, drives, vinyl sideing and your clothes.

yea i posted earlier in this thread that caffiene has a higher lc and ld then about 70-80% if the pesticides on the market. The most toxic pesticides are the insecticides which wasn't used in this case

NattyLawn
02-27-2009, 12:27 AM
It must be a PA thing that some applicators have trouble understanding that a pesticide is a blanket term that encompasses all herbicides, insecticides, etc...I think it's time for harder testing. It seems wrong that you have to pass a common sense "core" test and then all your categories are open book. The pesticide thing was icing on the cake, especially with a college degree and golf course experience. Thanks for making us look bad.

heritage
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Read the Label........The Label IS the Law.

It's in there :)

Pete

mngrassguy
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
It must be a PA thing that some applicators have trouble understanding that a pesticide is a blanket term that encompasses all herbicides, insecticides, etc...I think it's time for harder testing. It seems wrong that you have to pass a common sense "core" test and then all your categories are open book. The pesticide thing was icing on the cake, especially with a college degree and golf course experience. Thanks for making us look bad.

I was thinking the same thing but you beat me to the punch.

I worked at a golf course for a few years and we at least kept people off until dry. 10 mins? That's just plain irresponsible let alone illegal.

About the dog? Things should be fine. I no longer use Pend. because of staining. Dimension won't do that.

foreplease
02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Our category tests in Michigan are not open book but I have to agree with Natty. It was a little like watching someone step on a rake. I thought "that's going to smart, I wonder if the handle is going to hit him in the crotch too."