PDA

View Full Version : unexpierenced people tryin to start lawncare business???

Lawn-Guy
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
i do not understand why so many un expierenced people are trying to start a business up blindly,granted im in the middle of starting my company BUT i have over 15 years expierence. i see all of the people asking what equipment do i need how do i do this or that,why would u want to get involved in something you know nothing about imo that would just increase the risk of failure that much more.yes anyone can cut grass but it takes someone with expierence and certain skills to make it profitable.like i said anyone can cut it but it takes skill to manicure and maintain it. i just do not understand this...
i just figure if your gonna start a business why not get involved in something you have expierence and or knowledge of?

sorry just had to rant

PROCUT1
02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
If you know business, it doesnt matter what the nature of the business is. The rules are the same.

Carolina Cuts
02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
i do not understand why so many un expierenced people are trying to start a business up

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

WELCOME TO LAWNSITE!

bohiaa
02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
I always had a hard time at autp parts stores, seems about mid to late 80's they started employing women and high school kids.

I never did understand it,

I took my truck in to have the front end alined, " BREAK CHECK " here in Houston,

walked in the guy said " rather over weight kid " may I help you, I said 1 min pls,
walked over to the door to check there employees, he said sir you cant go in there.
I said can you guys do an alinment, he said sure, I said let me see the person that you employee, to do this task, SURE ENOULF A 20 YEAR OLD KID COMES OUT.

I say, have a wonderfull day.

JPsDuramax
02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I always had a hard time at autp parts stores, seems about mid to late 80's they started employing women and high school kids.

I took my truck in to have the front end alined, " BREAK CHECK " here in Houston,

walked in the guy said " rather over weight kid " may I help you, I said 1 min pls,
walked over to the door to check there employees, he said sir you cant go in there.
I said can you guys do an alinment, he said sure, I said let me see the person that you employee, to do this task, SURE ENOULF A 20 YEAR OLD KID COMES OUT.

Never judge a book by its cover. I have been surprised many times over. Yes, it is a risk to let someone younger take over, but sometimes they know their sh!t as well or better than an "old" person (Think "old timer's" or CRS diseases:laugh:).

Just my 2 cents worth.

P.Services
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM

you my friend are lost. those kids know what they are doing, they have been to school for it or they have been trained. im 21 and was a certified mechanic for four years. just because they are young does not mean they dont know what they are doing.

RickR1818
02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
i do not understand why so many un expierenced people are trying to start a business up blindly,granted im in the middle of starting my company BUT i have over 15 years expierence. i see all of the people asking what equipment do i need how do i do this or that,why would u want to get involved in something you know nothing about imo that would just increase the risk of failure that much more.yes anyone can cut grass but it takes someone with expierence and certain skills to make it profitable.like i said anyone can cut it but it takes skill to manicure and maintain it. i just do not understand this...
i just figure if your gonna start a business why not get involved in something you have expierence and or knowledge of?
sorry just had to rant

Easy, relatively low overhead cost to get started, not a lot of education needed to cut grass, and in this line of work cheap advertising actually works. Door hangers and flyers arent going to cut it if you do more technical work. And look at it this way it took you 15 yrs to start this? In fifteen years I hope to have sold my company and onto something else by then.

M&SLawnCare
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM

That's just as ignorant of a statement as if i said i'ld never hire you because your too old to be able to reliably handle a mower in the heat all day.

There are a lot of horrible young mechanics out there, however there are just as many horrible old mechanics that don't have a clue what they are doing on anything newer than a 1970 vehicle. I worked in a dealership as a technician, got my associates degree in auto technology, Chrysler certified, and ASE certified. You can't judge a persons abilities based on age. Expecually for something as simple as an alignment where a monkey could handle that as a computer does almost all the work for you.

LKNBigFish
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
its a job thats easy and cheap to start and it takes no formal education. were you an expert 15 yrs ago when you started? Does competion bother you?

lifetree
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Welcome to lawnsite!

... Lmao ... !!!

J.R. Services
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I think he has a point, to a degree. There are a lot of people trying to start their own business that do not have a clue what they are doing. But... I don't think anything is wrong with that as long as they work hard and are willing to learn. I've been mowing since I was 8 years old because my father passed away and I was the only child and had to step it up. At 11, I was making J&R Mowing signs on my computer. At 16, I had 6 jobs and was working full time for a big time lawn service guy who taught me the specifics that I needed in order to have my own business. And finally, at the age of 18, I have my own business.

Roger
02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
..., not a lot of education needed to cut grass, ...

This is an understatement!

As a couple of others have stated, it is clear that many who want to get started in a business have little business acumen. The reasons cited for wanting to "cut grass for a living" are often so wrong. The first major questions to ask: Do I want to be an entrepreneur, do I want to be a small business owner, am I cut from the right cloth to be a business start-up, am of the right mind to be marketer, salesman, financial manager, collecting agent, mechanic, am I under capitalized, etc? But, usually the questions being asked are along the lines of which mower to buy, how do you like my door hanger, what should I name my company, and so forth. These are not the right questions for an entrepreneur.

Midstate Lawncare
02-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Stop reading the new flier and wich mower thread and work down to the business management thread. Manage your businessBEFORE your mower. All mowers cut.... not all owners manage.

Hoots
02-26-2009, 10:05 PM

How do you know that these two "kids" have not been doing this job since they were 16?

My wife is an assistant store manager at a farm and ranch store. She has had countless older guys come in with an attitude like yours. They will be in there for advice on many topics, equine and weed control are some. They ask to speak with one of the guys there because "she won't know what I need". It is HILARIOUS when the worker guys track her down in the store to ask her a question. The customer then stands there with a puzzled look.:confused::laugh:

Back to the topic. Roger, you said it. The new guys that are laid off grab a mower from Walmart and think they are in business with now salesmanship, marketing, accounting.........

Some are right, it does not take much to cut grass. But to do it successfully is a whole different ball game.

FourTrees
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
i do not understand why so many un expierenced people are trying to start a business up blindly,granted im in the middle of starting my company BUT i have over 15 years expierence.

It takes less than 15 years expereince to become a doctor. Reminds me of an old Tommy Boy line......

i see all of the people asking what equipment do i need how do i do this or that,why would u want to get involved in something you know nothing about imo that would just increase the risk of failure that much more.

Is that not what Lawnsite is for, or do you like the plethora of my mower is better than yours threads?

yes anyone can cut grass but it takes someone with expierence and certain skills to make it profitable.like i said anyone can cut it but it takes skill to manicure and maintain it. i just do not understand this...

Please every eight year old can cut grass and the more he cuts the better he gets. There is no need to spend years perfecting your art of mowing, before stepping out on your own. They will either learn and grow or fail and leave.

Can anyone tell yet that I am so disappointed in this thread?

So do you also have a problem with overweight old people trying to make a living. Oh and women well they just can't handle anything. Forget the fact that there are so many women out there making so much more money than you in more complex jobs.

Good luck out there, with that attitude.

The worst part about this thread is not only the un-American judgmental attitude, but the eloquence with which it was not written.

I think he has a point, to a degree. There are a lot of people trying to start their own business that do not have a clue what they are doing.

Just because you started at 11 with no clue why judge someone that starts at 21.

But... I don't think anything is wrong with that as long as they work hard and are willing to learn.

You do try and redeem yourself after, but why question them if you understand why someone would try and better their life.

This is America people, that is why we love this country. America is were a parts guy can eventually own the largest car enterprise in a state.:usflag:

gdigman23
02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
truth is people are just scared right now because of the economy...you wouldnt see this 5 years ago..everyone wants to have something on the "side"..extra security even if its not real..Customers always come back to the professionals in every industry..not even a worry

nickroqs
02-26-2009, 10:29 PM
What's to complain about? If more qualified people were getting into the business it would make less work for you, and all the rest of us..

Stillwater
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM

sorry just had to rant

What you are ranting about is nothing new it was like this in the 70's

CLARK LAWN
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM

the worst part of this post is the 20 year old doing the ALIGNMENT probably knew how to spell it.
Most ALIGNMENT shops all have computer laser systems alot of older guys chose not to learn the new system, the 20 year old probably had a better concept on what he was doing than the 50 year old that still wants to use chalk lines and tape measures

1wezil
02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just because they are young give them a break !They could be doing things a hole lot worse . It's better to ask how to do thing if you not sure .............:confused:

Lawn-Guy
02-26-2009, 11:31 PM
its a job thats easy and cheap to start and it takes no formal education. were you an expert 15 yrs ago when you started? Does competion bother you?

no i wasnt a expert 15 years ago but then again i wasnt startin a compny 15 years ago either i feel i earned my education in this field ive been in it for the good and the bad the easy work and the hard im not neccasarly sayin some one shouldnt do this im just saying that yes any one can cut grass but theres more to running this business than just cutting grass unless that person is gonna be one of the "stop chop blow go" type companys that give everyother company in this field a bad rep i take pride in my work and they way it turns out and how my customers feel about me n my services.
bottom line all im saying is you would think someone would want some kind of formal inside insight on how this industry PROPERLY operates before going and spendind 10-40 thousand dollars on equipment to find that 3 months later they can not stand this. as far as does compition bother me NO my work and attitude stand out and speaks for itself i honestly believe that some competition is good

Jason Rose
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
On the topic of people with NO experience getting into the lawn business, here's what gets me... The folks that go out and buy mechanical equipment, that comes with a manual, and some with a nice "how to maintain and operate" video and they still come on here and are suprised to learn:
That you have to sharpen blades?
I don't know how to get the blades off.
I take my blades to the dealer to get them sharpened, You can do them yourself?
How do I change the oil?

I guess some people were raised different. I was always under the impression that if you worked with machines you should have common sence and learn how to use tools.

As for the topic of not wanting the "kid" to help at the parts store etc. I'm 'only' 30, and I feel the same way. Sorry. But usually it's real easy to spot the one that's just there for a check versus one that may actually give a chit.

Lawn-Guy
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
It takes less than 15 years expereince to become a doctor. Reminds me of an old Tommy Boy line......

Is that not what Lawnsite is for, or do you like the plethora of my mower is better than yours threads?

Please every eight year old can cut grass and the more he cuts the better he gets. There is no need to spend years perfecting your art of mowing, before stepping out on your own. They will either learn and grow or fail and leave.:

-ok yes a 8 year old can cut grass but there is far more to running a landscaping/lawn maintance company than just cutting grass there are book keeping skils estimating skills people skills knowledge of chemicals and the list goes on. and yes lawnsite is here to help everyone, but with that said when some one gets on here and says"what equipment do i need to start a comopany" is just crazy i feel if you want to be in this business you should know enough about it to atleast know what tools you will need, if joe blow get on here and ask this question and everyone says you need a "super stealth double flux capiciter weed whacker with ultra vibration dampening pom poms" some one would go looking for it bottom line running a business takes dedication and sacrifice if they dont even have a clue as to what tools they will need it just doesnt show that much dedication, i guess problem is you see all of these lawn care companys come and with in 3-4 months boom there gone some one made the comment "it has taken you 15 years to get yours going" referring to me but you know what yes it has but i have every single one of my ducks in a row i owe no one i believe that is being responsible and just increasing my chance of success....

Lawn-Guy
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
On the topic of people with NO experience getting into the lawn business, here's what gets me... The folks that go out and buy mechanical equipment, that comes with a manual, and some with a nice "how to maintain and operate" video and they still come on here and are suprised to learn:
That you have to sharpen blades?
I don't know how to get the blades off.
I take my blades to the dealer to get them sharpened, You can do them yourself?
How do I change the oil?

I guess some people were raised different. I was always under the impression that if you worked with machines you should have common sence and learn how to use tools.

As for the topic of not wanting the "kid" to help at the parts store etc. I'm 'only' 30, and I feel the same way. Sorry. But usually it's real easy to spot the one that's just there for a check versus one that may actually give a chit.

i agree 100% if i can not fix it my self i want to make dmn sure that the one that is has plenty of expierence and is reliable and actully takes pride in his work. but lets be honest if you cant change oil or blades this is prob the wrong business for you.

Dependable Lawncare
02-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Speaking for myself, I worked MANY jobs over the years before arriving at the conclusion that I was capable of running my own show. The main reason I went into business for myself was that many of the jobs I worked, the bosses I had were buffoons and my fellow employees were lazy and unmotivated. I figured if I was going to be the best worker at a company, and I was smarter than the people I was working for, there was no reason for me to stay unless I would be paid the best.

I did not know a hell of a lot about the biz when I jumped in. I had worked part time mowing one summer about ten years before where I learned the basics. I figured what I didn't know I could learn quickly, just like every other job I have had.

I simply applied my work ethic and business sense to my new "job" and the transition was fairly easy.

But there are few businesses where getting in the ground floor is relatively inexpensive like it can be in this one. That doesn't mean anybody can do this though. It is easy to hang up a sign, but if you are like one of those buffoon bosses or lazy fellow employees that were the bane of my existance, you won't stick around. There is enough competition in the lawn business to take you down if you don't deserve to be here.

dmcdade
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I kind of like this topic..as I am new to the business as well but not to lawns.

I've always maintained my own lawn and my parents because I take pride in my lawn and yard. So why am I going into business?

I started by business plan last year after being sick and tired of not moving up the ladder in Sprint. I chose the lawn care industry because I know how to take care of a yard, I know how to manage a business, I want to foster relationships with my neighbors and I wanted to create jobs on a part-time basis for the high-school kids during the summers. Start-up is relatively cheap as long as you do not finance everything. The trick with lawn care services is to maintain a flow of income that dwarves your liabilities. As long as a person has good grasp on management, time management and can control debt to income ratio's this is a good business to get your feet wet in small-business.

Anyway's that's why I am doing it.

STIHL GUY
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
people think you can mow a lawn a week and call yourself a pro. they dont what it takes to build a relaible business and make a lawn look nice

Grits
02-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I try not to worry about other people's businesses. Focusing that energy into your own business will yield great results.

Stillwater
02-28-2009, 12:07 AM
I try not to worry about other people's businesses. Focusing that energy into your own business will yield great results.

OMG, thank you for posting this their is nothing more true than this....

Tommy Boy
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
The perception is that is an easy thing to start, we are knuckle dragging grass cutters, I welcome new folks, not worried about the competition, but most folks don't last the season. they start out cutting a few friends or the church. Then life hits, it's hard work and most American's do not have the stomach for it. The ones who are committed will thrive and grow business very season. And guess what, the education never stops, that's why you see me in here so much.

Take classes, go to industry related training, get on the fourms, and become a lawn care professional, not just a guy with a trailer...

My 2 cents worth....

GreenOpie213
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Well bohiaa as a 21 year old ase. Cert. Mechanic and a lawn care business owner on my second year solo and 6 years exp. Would you hire someone that never cut grass before i didnt think so. Just like the shop you went into you think they hired that young kid if he had no idea what he was doing no. I think you need to not post stupid comments and just read what other people post.

daveyo
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
If you know business, it doesnt matter what the nature of the business is. The rules are the same.

I have your quote hanging in my office, reminds me not to expand into something I know nothing about :dizzy:.

Roger
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I have your quote hanging in my office, reminds me not to expand into something I know nothing about :dizzy:.

Don't be so fast with your assessment. I've seen many very smart business people enter a business they know nothing about, and turn it into a great success. In fact, this is the better of the two paths. I would consider success more likely for the smart business person to take a business about which they know little, or nothing, than for the person who knows the technical parts, the mechanics, etc. very well, but is a poor business person.

One good example of the second case is farming. Somebody may know the equipment, the applications of chemicals, the harvesting, etc., but is a poor businessman. This is pretty commonplace, and is why agri-business has emerged -- smart farmers, but unable to make a business work, over against smart business operator who hires the technical know-how for the farm operation.

I know a man locally who has been very successful. He has started eight different businesses, built them to a viable entity, sold them for a huge profit, and went on to the next one. In many of the success stories, he knew little about the products or services of the business, but knew how to build, expand, and operate a good business entity. He knew marketing, sales, financial leveraging, how to read and understand P/L sheets, how to build a staff, etc. Clearly, he has been very, very successful, and still is starting businesses and turning them into a successful venture. He is very wealthy, and, more importantly, enjoys his work.

daveyo
03-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Don't be so fast with your assessment. I've seen many very smart business people enter a business they know nothing about, and turn it into a great success. In fact, this is the better of the two paths. I would consider success more likely for the smart business person to take a business about which they know little, or nothing, than for the person who knows the technical parts, the mechanics, etc. very well, but is a poor business person.

One good example of the second case is farming. Somebody may know the equipment, the applications of chemicals, the harvesting, etc., but is a poor businessman. This is pretty commonplace, and is why agri-business has emerged -- smart farmers, but unable to make a business work, over against smart business operator who hires the technical know-how for the farm operation.

I know a man locally who has been very successful. He has started eight different businesses, built them to a viable entity, sold them for a huge profit, and went on to the next one. In many of the success stories, he knew little about the products or services of the business, but knew how to build, expand, and operate a good business entity. He knew marketing, sales, financial leveraging, how to read and understand P/L sheets, how to build a staff, etc. Clearly, he has been very, very successful, and still is starting businesses and turning them into a successful venture. He is very wealthy, and, more importantly, enjoys his work.

I never said go into a business not being a smart business person, re-read what I said. I know extremely successful people, millionaires, a friend of mine started at the bottom as a cashier at a fast food chain over 30years ago, remember Ginos? He worked his way through getting to know the business in and out. Long story short he owns, several friendlys, wendys, a steel factory and office buildings Why? He knew his business on every end. Another friend of mine also a client, owns several Stewarts root beers, he also owns several radio stations, he used to be a DJ, he actually still does voice overs he loves his business. My point being is I don't like it when people choose to know all the rules, there are millions and millions of successful people all with different stories I'd like to think I'm one of them, my opinion though is I'll be more successful knowing my business venture still growing, still learning thank the good Lord.

Paradise Yard Service
03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Since just anyone (even an 8 year old) can mow a lawn, henceforth I will refuse to respond to questions such as 'how high/low I should cut the ti-dwarf'. Thats because we all know the answer and would just be wasting time on useless chatter.

Aloha

Stillwater
03-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Since just anyone (even an 8 year old) can mow a lawn, henceforth I will refuse to respond to questions such as 'how high/low I should cut the ti-dwarf'. Thats because we all know the answer and would just be wasting time on useless chatter.

Aloha

Ah.. Really? then why did you post this, Ego maybe? it is apparent the purpose of lawn site totally escapes you. Why are you hear?

Paradise Yard Service
03-02-2009, 01:59 AM
My point was that we seem to sell ourselves too short when we say 'just anyone' can mow. These kinds of statements I feel are not very well thought out.

Aloha

Cosmic Hippo
03-03-2009, 02:35 AM
This thread has inspired a Hippo rant which I invite you all to read in a new thread entitled, "Why the all hostility?"

The Hippo's lawnsite persona might not survive the response to its rants, but it could not be suppressed.

rjgolfer
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Is any of this chest pounding helpful to anyone.....my God this is a dreadful thread!!