PDA

View Full Version : why use higher rate when lower should work

grassmasterswilson
02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Random question that I thought about while working alone many days. I was spraying my 3-way the other day and the label has the rates as follows

"warm season" grasses 2-4 pints/acre
"cool season" grasses 4-6 pints/acre

My question is why wouldn't you just spray at the lower rate say 2 or 3 pints/acre. Why would you have to spray a lower rate on bermuda, centipede, etc and a higer rate on fescue to kill the same weeds? would 2 pints/acre kill clover in bermuda, but not in fescue?

Just curious.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Warm season cant take the higher rate it will kill it

grassmasterswilson
02-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Warm season cant take the higher rate it will kill it

I know that the rates are to prevent damage to the turf. My question is it the lower rate will kill say clover, chickweed, etc in bermuda. Why wouldn't the lower rate also kill the same weeds in fescue?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Up here it depends on how cold it is
when its hot the low rate will do the trick but when its cold you need a little more to get good control

grassmasterswilson
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Random question that I thought about while working alone many days. I was spraying my 3-way the other day and the label has the rates as follows

"warm season" grasses 2-4 pints/acre
"cool season" grasses 4-6 pints/acre

My question is why wouldn't you just spray at the lower rate say 2 or 3 pints/acre. Why would you have to spray a lower rate on bermuda, centipede, etc and a higer rate on fescue to kill the same weeds? would 2 pints/acre kill clover in bermuda, but not in fescue?

Just curious.

let me re-word my question. Why couldn't you just spray 2 or 3 pints/acre on ALL lawns? If 2 pints will kill the weeds in bermuda why wouldn't 2 pints kill the weeds in fescue? Just curious why you need to increase the rate on fescue and other cool grasses.

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Up here it depends on how cold it is
when its hot the low rate will do the trick but when its cold you need a little more to get good control

I 2nd that!