PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Armadillolawncare
02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I turned on a zone today and noticed right away a lack of pressure and this is what I found. I think the lower pipe is 1" and the upper is 3/4. I already removed the rotor and the riser. This system is 36 zones and run off a well with a pump. Why was this connected this way? Do we need to do anything to special to repair it?

TRILAWNCARE
02-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice boots..... :laugh::laugh:

mitchgo
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Why was this connected this way? Do we need to do anything to special to repair it?

Because the person who installed it or repaired it sometime before was a idiot.
Was that new 1"x3/4" ST 90 elbow your install with all that glue mess???

if not...

My guess is this.

The bottom pipe is the original installer.
Then after several years the homeowner wanted to extend the zone, so some irrigation person extended the zone at the very last head of the zone and felt that the piping was too deap. So the raised it up and extended with 3/4 with hopefulness to have pressure.

Wet_Boots
02-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice boots..... :laugh::laugh:nice padding of your post count :)

mitchgo
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
ERRRR!!!!

I Just got my 12 station dci receiver only at sprinkler warehouse for like 380 bucks. Got it this morning!!

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
looks like hack work...

1 slip cap and cover that sh!t back up

and is that T broken too?

TRILAWNCARE
02-26-2009, 09:45 PM
nice padding of your post count :)

Something I picked up from watching you.

mitchgo
02-26-2009, 09:45 PM
hmmmmmmmmm

mitchgo
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
ERRRR!!!!

I Just got my 12 station dci receiver only at sprinkler warehouse for like 380 bucks. Got it this morning!!

apparently I can't have multiple lawnsite tabs open ready to post. If i click reply on one it will jump to another tab!

Armadillolawncare
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought a shot of my boot was mandatory for posting here.

Armadillolawncare
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
The exposed el at the end is where the riser with rotor was attached.

Armadillolawncare
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
The t is broken andd since the exposed el is where the riser and rotor go the t is my leak.

irrig8r
02-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Yeah, it's kinda like the secret handshake... but don't tell anybody...

TRILAWNCARE
02-27-2009, 12:18 AM

The exposed el at the end is where the riser with rotor was attached.

The t is broken andd since the exposed el is where the riser and rotor go the t is my leak.

Who's padding the count? :dizzy:

Sprinkus
02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks like a looped discharge to me. They do that to reduce friction loss in the zone piping.

Well, that probably would have fooled my helper! :laugh:
It's probably where someone tied in to add another head.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Put the tee in with a 3/4" thd and use a 6 by 3/4 " cut off nipple for the up pipe to have some play in this faustian comedy.

DanaMac
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
You're lying. Those things don't happen in Texas. With all the testing and licensing, no way someone down there could have done that :)

Mike Leary
02-27-2009, 10:23 AM

It is, unless you're padding the post.

Armadillolawncare
02-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Sprinkus was partially correct when he diaganosed that the pipe was added to allow the addition of another head. I decided to see which extra head was added and followed the very shallow pipe. Much to my surprise it led to another 13 heads on the front of the property!! Well here is the pic of the repair.

mitchgo
02-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Sprinkus was partially correct when he diaganosed that the pipe was added to allow the addition of another head. I decided to see which extra head was added and followed the very shallow pipe. Much to my surprise it led to another 13 heads on the front of the property!! Well here is the pic of the repair.

aww dude! I hope you didn't learn that sprinkler head connection in your class!. That's the worst way! All it takes is someone to step on that pop up to bust that nipple or crack the pipe just before the elbow!

Always use funny pipe my main man!

FYS777
02-28-2009, 02:21 AM
aww dude! I hope you didn't learn that sprinkler head connection in your class!. That's the worst way! All it takes is someone to step on that pop up to bust that nipple or crack the pipe just before the elbow!

Always use funny pipe my main man!

I call it silly pipe because its kinda funny. your right connect it different one step bang, time to dig again, oops:laugh::laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Nice clean looking repair Army but the problem still exists. Hunter makes some 1/2" by 6" pre made swing joints you should stock. Learning how to make a swing joint is mandatory in sprinkler service. i like to use marlexs myself.

Sprinkus
02-28-2009, 09:56 AM
13 heads?! I think that's a new world record!
Just hope that the grass, and pipe, in that area never gets aerated.

And as others have stated a swing joint or other flexible connection at the rotor would be a good idea. I'd probably use a KBI sch80 swing joint here.

DanaMac
02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes swing pipe or swing joint is a must.

Riser = piker

But it keeps me in business by repairing them all the time

Mike Leary
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes swing pipe or swing joint is a must.

The ninety should have been rolled over to the horizontal with a threaded end. A barbed ell into the fitting, 6" length of swing pipe, another barbed ell and a Marlex ell before the head,that gives it ease of adjustment and protection from mowers, etc.

DanaMac
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
The ninety should have been rolled over to the horizontal with a threaded end.
A barbed ell into the fitting, 6" length of swing pipe, another barbed ell and
a Marlex ell before the head. That gives it ease of adjustment and protection
from mowers, etc.

BINGO!! Not enough people rotate the ell with the threads to the side. Makes sense to me.

Kiril
02-28-2009, 10:48 AM
BINGO!! Not enough people rotate the ell with the threads to the side. Makes sense to me.

Yes, does make sense, but not necessary in all cases as long as your swing joint is not vertically restricted. One place I always spec a rotated elbow is along hardscapes where vehicle is a concern.

Armadillolawncare
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the comments. I didn't think of using the swing joint until I had already purchased the parts I needed for the repair and was partially done with the repair. I went to my truck and dug around for a swing joint but only had 1/2 in swings and needed a 3/4 swing. As you might imagine I have virtually no inventory of spare parts. I have one tool box with a few rotors and spray heads along with a few joints and my tools. I have been purchasing double what I need for every repair so I am slowly building an inventory. I will definately add 3/4 swing joints asap.

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Armadillo even though there was no swing joint is was pleasant to see a clean glue joints and no trash in the hole.

Kiril
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the comments. I didn't think of using the swing joint until I had already purchased the parts I needed for the repair and was partially done with the repair. I went to my truck and dug around for a swing joint but only had 1/2 in swings and needed a 3/4 swing. As you might imagine I have virtually no inventory of spare parts. I have one tool box with a few rotors and spray heads along with a few joints and my tools. I have been purchasing double what I need for every repair so I am slowly building an inventory. I will definately add 3/4 swing joints asap.

If it were me I would go back and fix it.

Mike Leary
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
If it were me I would go back and fix it.

It would be a easy fix, and you'll never do a repair like that again. :clapping:

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I concur. Even though it is probably buried you will save a lot of time now.

irrig8r
02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
The ninety should have been rolled over to the horizontal with a threaded end. A barbed ell into the fitting, 6" length of swing pipe, another barbed ell and a Marlex ell before the head,that gives it ease of adjustment and protection from mowers, etc.

I'll second that.

Armadillolawncare
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
By popular demand I will go back and fix it. I will get out there next week and add the swing joint.

hoskm01
02-28-2009, 08:32 PM
By popular demand I will go back and fix it. I will get out there next week and add the swing joint.
Nice work Dillo. Cant believe someone actually took advice from the circus here.

Let the customer know good and clear that you came back, without extra charge (I assume and hope) to "upgrade" the joint with a part that you were "out of" before.

Good work.

Waterit
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Yes, does make sense, but not necessary in all cases as long as your swing joint is not vertically restricted. One place I always spec a rotated elbow is along hardscapes where vehicle is a concern.

Never occurred to me to put the end 90 on the vertical, we always lay threaded T's and 90's over to the side so that you are screwing the barbed ell in when putting the head in the ground.

Hope I don't lose my dork dweeb piker hack doofus status over doing something right:laugh:

Armadillolawncare
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Heres the swing joint added. Actually got some more business by going back out today. They asked for a bid to move 5 rotors about 2 feet each and add one rotor to a zone.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Heres the swing joint added. Actually got some more business by going back out today. They asked for a bid to move 5 rotors about 2 feet each and add one rotor to a zone.As Earl Hickey would say, Good Karma :)

Mike Leary
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Heres the swing joint added.

We would have tracked you down if you had not posted a pic. :clapping: Umm, pics with boots or bare feet are de rigueur around here.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Honorable mention for getting a thumb in front of the lens.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Good for you man. Very good. :clapping::clapping::clapping: Yes karma has rewarded you

irrigationgrl
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh goodness gooly gosh jimminy crickets! Your original problem, you have now made worse. Yes! head repair was completed properly and all is well there. If I could add these attachments, I could visually point out that the depth of the shallow top line that runs to 13 more heads is now even shallower than before. After your repair, you can see that by the 90 being exposed. damngaggins i hate when I can't add pics!

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Does anybody doubt that irrigirl is she?

hoskm01
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Not since her second post a month ago.

Kiril
03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm wondering what happened to our other new female "irrigator"? Did I chase her away? :(

@Armo

Good for you. It makes you stand out from the crowd when you take the care to do something right. :clapping:

Mike Leary
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Some of us know those things as true.

irrigationgrl
03-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Ah here we are....I should probably fix the text in the last pic so you can read it. But I get a twisted kind of perverted joy when I visualize you old men grabbing for your glasses and peering intently in order to read it.

irrigationgrl
03-05-2009, 01:45 AM
actually the original problem does not still exist. Let me re-phrase that. The cause of the original problem still exists and is now even more vulnerable to breakage. That is SuCH a cutsie lil kneeling pad he has though. I commend him on the style and color combo.

irrigationgrl
03-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Who?:confused:

mitchgo
03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah I see what your saying. I didn't see that before. The elbow is actually higher then the rotor. And the elbow does seem even higher then the first picture before the repair. There is also quite a bit of leaves too.

We also don't know what's left of the picture. Does it go uphill/ downhill? Is the pipe exposed elsewhere other then the elbow?
The Area just from the picture seems to be in some kind of shrub/ wood zone. A couple shovels full and a few minutes of manipulating the dirt grade can fix that issue.

Obviously he didn't install the system so we can't guarantee the debt of the pipe.

I guess If I was doing the repair and I noticed the top pipe so high up I would spend a few minutes trying to locate the pipe several spots a few feet away to see if it was just as shallow.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
actually the original problem does not still exist. Let me re-phrase that. The cause of the original problem still exists and is now even more vulnerable to breakage. That is SuCH a cutsie lil kneeling pad he has though. I commend him on the style and color combo.
At least hes got the environmentally friendly recycled material kneeling pad.

Not everyone is used to being on their knees all the time, Girl.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
At least hes got the environmentally friendly recycled material kneeling pad.

Not everyone is used to being on their knees all the time, Girl.

I've never been one to use knee pads or any kind of pad to put on the ground for my knees. One of my guys has a gardening style pad. I may get one this year though.

Armadillolawncare
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Man I love that knee pad! Often enables you to stay dry and definately makes it less painful on the knees.

Kiril
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I've never been one to use knee pads or any kind of pad to put on the ground for my knees. One of my guys has a gardening style pad. I may get one this year though.

Nor I, and I blow out doubled front pants on a yearly basis because of it.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Nor I, and I blow out doubled front pants on a yearly basis because of it.
As long as youre not blowin out the seat of them, thats okay!

Kiril
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
As long as youre not blowin out the seat of them, thats okay!

No, I'll leave that side for Mike.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
You can get pants with the kneepads built in.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
You can get pants with the kneepads built in.

too bad I pretty much always wear shorts

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
too bad I pretty much always wear shorts

Not that you should...

http://our3cents.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/man-shorts.jpg

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
:::Oatmeal spewed over keyboard:::

TRILAWNCARE
03-05-2009, 12:00 PM
:::Oatmeal spewed over keyboard:::

Think thats bad, get a load of this one.....

Just to save the day..

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Definite boob job on the right. Don't they know that "anything over a mouthful is wasted"

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Not that you should...

I don't like you anymore........

AI Inc
03-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok, whos been taking pics in san fran?

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't like you anymore........
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Definite boob job on the right.

And...... what is wrong with that?

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Better built for comfort.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Better built for comfort.
Were they built for speed, or built for comfort?

Did you motorboat her? You motorboated her didnt you, you motorboatin son of a bitsch.