PDA

View Full Version : how sensitive is tall fescue grasses?

heyakoni
02-27-2009, 12:35 AM
why does fescue grasses dry out and die if its not put into the ground immediatly. does it tolerance have anything to do with that issue?

Stillwater
02-27-2009, 02:35 AM
What species are you referring to?

muddstopper
02-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I dont understand the put into ground statement, are you talking about fescue sod? Are you planting from seed? Clarify you question and we can try to help.

TScapes
02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
why does fescue grasses dry out and die if its not put into the ground immediatly. does it tolerance have anything to do with that issue?

I agree with everyone else.... your wording of your question makes no sense. Can you try to explain yourself again? Are you refering to the actual seeding process or sod?

heyakoni
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I was told by many sod farms in my region that they will not carry aany fescue type of sod because its not as tolerant as the other grasses in there stock. In other words, because its cut the first week in april...it need to be put on the ground fast or theres a strong chance of it dring out and could die beforee its sold. My question is how could it die so soon on a pallete compared to any other grass on a pallete? sorry

TScapes
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
you basically have 48 hours to put out the sod once it is cut, regardless of the turf type. Fescue is not very tolerant of hot weather, as opposed to bermuda and zoysia. If you go with fescue, you will need to make sure you water it really good and regularly through the summer.

Runner
02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Do you guys even get any type of fescue sod down there? All we have is KBG up here.

Stillwater
02-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Do you guys even get any type of fescue sod down there? All we have is KBG up here.

If all you have is KBG then you have tall fescue aswell, Their is no such thing as a exclusive 100% KBG sod you would not want that anyway all northern grass sod farms mix tall fescue or a hybrid of a fescue with KBG

Stillwater
02-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I was told by many sod farms in my region that they will not carry aany fescue type of sod because its not as tolerant as the other grasses in there stock. In other words, because its cut the first week in april...it need to be put on the ground fast or theres a strong chance of it dring out and could die beforee its sold. My question is how could it die so soon on a pallete compared to any other grass on a pallete? sorry

Who told you this? for your area tall fescue hybrids and mixes are extremely popular.

Smallaxe
02-28-2009, 07:15 AM
This is an interesting site about different grasses, growth habits, and a big Tolerance Chart. I like most sites that include an Identification Key.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/index.html

My guess about sodding a pure fescue stand - is that - it would not hold together well in the roots.
I have a lawn that is pure fescue for several years now. It grows well and is healthy, but I don't think it is ready for sod yet.

Runner
02-28-2009, 02:25 PM
If all you have is KBG then you have tall fescue aswell, Their is no such thing as a exclusive 100% KBG sod you would not want that anyway all northern grass sod farms mix tall fescue or a hybrid of a fescue with KBG

Actually, our area sod farms carry a solid bluegrass mix - 100%. It is done with few different blends of bluegrass, but 100%, all the same. They DO have some available now and then that is grown with some perennial rye mixes, but they are few and far between. As far as the tall fescues go, I have grown tttf in many different applications, and personally, like it...especially with no irrigated type areas. It takes a bit more potassium for upkeep, to keep it thick, but is well worth it. We of course also have the K-31 seed available, but that doesn't count.

naughty62
03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
We have a few non irrigated properties that were seeded with ttf/rtf .most have a large southern facing slope and do quite well in the heat .We used a mix with 10% bluegrass .We have never been called for a overseed so goood so far .