PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding over erosion control fabric

TomberLawn
02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm doing an estimate for a commercial property that has a little bit of grass growing, but not much. I'd like to overseed with a fescue or blend of fescue and other grasses. The property is pretty new and the erosion control fabric is still somewhat visible. Is it ok to overseed over the mat? Can/should I aerate over an erosion control mat?

tombo82685
02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
to be honest, if your going to grow grass their, then their is no need for the erosion control mat, because the grass fibrous roots will keep the soil in place and act just like that erosion mat.

muddstopper
02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
I wouldnt try areating over the erosion mat, it would most likely get tangled up in your areator tines and create a mess. The mats are designed to hold the seed and plant roots in place until they can properly establish. There are many different types of matting material. The straw type excellisor matting can be hydroseeded directly overtop of, but the thicker coconuthull type matting really needs to be hydroseeded before the matting is layed down. There are mats called Turf Reinforceing Mats or TRM's that are designed to help establish grass in high flow drainage areas. These type mattes are usually coconut fiber with double fishnet lined material woven into the fabric. I usually hydroseed these before laying the mat and then will go back over top of the mats with additional hydroseed slurry. The grass under the mats is what usually becomes the finished product, but the top covering gives the faster growth. The grass roots will penetrate the material to reach the soil underneath, but you get better grass establishment with seed to soil contact. I wouldnt expect much establishment of the grass seed if they are broadcast directly over the mat material.