PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Questions

matt10486
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey everyone i have two questions first when is the best time to trim rodedemdrums (Spelling?) Also whats the best way to keep back ivy from growing up trees. i know i can pull it out but is there anything that will stop it from growing back?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

tamadrummer
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
First question: Prune them back in March/April

Second question: Get your spray guy to spray the stuff so that it is killed off to the root. It is a tough plant to kill off and if you are not licensed to spray, you need to have a spray company kill it off for you. I use only one company for spraying. They do both structural and turf.

matt10486
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks a lot !!

SimonCX
02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Prune them after they flower, any sooner won't do any harm but you won't have any flowers.

david shumaker
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I cut the ivy stems about 1 foot from the base of the tree and then spray at the base. The ivy growing on the tree will die and you can pull it off. Make sure you wash your hands and arms off good as I've gotten poison oak or ivy pulling English Ivy off trees. Like said above, Ivy is hard to kill and will have to be sprayed more than once.

Isobel
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
prune them after they flower, usually around mid-summer. Don't prune them if its already really really hot.

Also, its spelled Rhododendron.

cudaclan
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Rhododendrons should be pruned in two ways. One method is by “pinching” the tassels or truss that form after flowering. This is in May or June. This technique requires certain attention. You will have the next growth (bud) cycle directly below the truss. Try not to remove the bud accidentally. This method will diminish the “leggy” or branching characteristics in some rhododendrons. This creates a denser shrub with more blooms. If you feel intimidated as to where the new growth is, let it grow. At a later point, you can then pinch the truss. However, the longer you delay, the “woodier” it will be. Besides, who wants to see unsightly tassels with dried blooms?

The other method will require hand pruners or in aggressive situations, a saw. This skill requires more time. If not done correctly, you can introduce a host of borers (pests) and disease. Sawing limbs and branches requires a series of cuts spread throughout years. As a rule, no more than a third of the bush should be removed in a year. Do not cut above new growth leaving a branch. It will only die back.