PDA

View Full Version : Possible new truck for lawn work...

pflasch
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I've been looking at Pickups pulling an enclosed trailer... and I have been looking at the Isuzu with a box. Then I saw this 16 'Rockport Parcelport unit, with a sliding side door, on a Ford E-350 chassis. GVW of 11,500 lbs. Ground to floor height is 21.5 " Internal height about 6 1/2 feet, with a fiberglass translucent roof.
If I could get Rockport to modify it with an internal beavertail, and a full width overhead door... at least for my use, it would be near perfect for a couple of Walkers etc.

I don't have a price on the unit yet...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Pietro
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
A few guys around here use box trucks....I dont like the idea......Lets just say my truck breaks down.......I drop it at the shop, and borrow a buddies or go rent one from united rentals and hook up my trailer so I dont loose valuable time......If your truck breaks, youre kinda beat until its fixed, because youre truck IS your trailer too.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with Pietro, and plus you have no where to dump clippings. Personally my ideal rig is an F-350 dump and an enclosed trailer. Put your clippings in the back and bata bing bata boom your good to go.

STIHL GUY
02-27-2009, 10:22 PM
looks like a good idea if you have somewhere onsite to dump clippings

MowMoney
02-27-2009, 10:29 PM
A few guys around here use box trucks....I dont like the idea......Lets just say my truck breaks down.......I drop it at the shop, and borrow a buddies or go rent one from united rentals and hook up my trailer so I dont loose valuable time......If your truck breaks, youre kinda beat until its fixed, because youre truck IS your trailer too.

You can rent a truck just as easily as a trailer. It may have a liftgate instead of a ramp, but it will make due while your truck is being repaired. I have 3 box trucks with dumping waste bids for the clippings and I love them.

Carolina Cuts
02-27-2009, 10:46 PM
looks like a shuttle bus.... minus 100 kids anticipating Disney....

Two Seasons
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I really like it. What is the width between the wheel wells?

MileHigh
02-27-2009, 11:58 PM

I agree..

Plus..I hope you don't bag any clippings.

I'll stick to pickups and open trailers...;)

pflasch
02-28-2009, 12:57 AM
MowMoney,
Can you post pics of your truck with dumping waste bins?
So far, clippings are not a problem... some stay on site, or sites are mulched. Extra charge for removal, and I'm OK with that.
Business is a 1-2 man operation, upper end homes that we take our time on. NO mow and blow. Detail is what we are after. Image is everything to us!

TwoSeasons,
I believe the width between the wheel wells is just over 5 feet. With 42" and 48" decks on the Walkers, the fit is tight but do able.
I just love the low slide door with only ONE step!
I also looked at Super Lawn Trucks, but I like this idea better.

topsites
02-28-2009, 09:19 AM
They're probably at least 40 or 50 thousand new, and since it's a custom builder it could be more, too.
Seeing how they're not listing any prices that's usually the next clue that it ain't cheap.
I don't know, could run anywhere from 60-to-120 thousand I guess.

BSDeality
02-28-2009, 10:51 AM

or you just go to any of the 3000 u-haul, hertz, budget truck rental places and rent a moving truck for a day...

BSDeality
02-28-2009, 10:53 AM
you will pay a huge premium for a truck like that with the molded back end. we run an NPR with a hydraulic 10' bi-fold ramp. very much like a superlawntruck, without the SLT expense. We will never go back to a truck and trailer operation for mowing. our truck is too efficient

johnnybravo8802
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I used to own an Isuzu box truck and it was the cat's meow in a lot of ways. One problem was that it was high in the back, even with the dovetail and I bought a front mount that wouldn't go up the ramp-that was a huge..... problem!!!!!!! I felt like crying when I realized this and had already spent the money. The Ford looks lower to the ground and that's good. The thing about the clippings, or any debri, is absolutely true + it makes a mess inside the truck when you pile limbs in it-takes a while to clean up. You just can't get by without an open trailer if you haul debri and that's experience talking. The other problem with the box was that it was my only transportation and that's nuts!!!! I had convinced myself that it would work and what a moron I was:hammerhead::hammerhead:I think a box is idea as a second vehicle but not as a primary-that's my final conclusion.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
make sure you buy it with diesel if you do, if you don't i can assure you that your probably won't have any power to pull a trailer

MowMoney
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
MowMoney,
Can you post pics of your truck with dumping waste bins?
So far, clippings are not a problem... some stay on site, or sites are mulched. Extra charge for removal, and I'm OK with that.
Business is a 1-2 man operation, upper end homes that we take our time on. NO mow and blow. Detail is what we are after. Image is everything to us!

TwoSeasons,
I believe the width between the wheel wells is just over 5 feet. With 42" and 48" decks on the Walkers, the fit is tight but do able.
I just love the low slide door with only ONE step!
I also looked at Super Lawn Trucks, but I like this idea better.

You can find some pics here. Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=77760&page=6

If you go with a box truck you'll be able to place a 42" and a 48" side by side. Also you will have more head clearance and you'll be able place blowers, trimmers shovels, rakes, ect on the walls and shelves up front.Just a suggestion. Good luck with your research

hchase86
06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
if you are really serious about purchasing a cab and chassis or even a smaller box truck, i would recommend checking out what Uhaul has to offer. they have a wide variety of truck sizes and have both cab and chassis and box trucks. check out thier website: www.uhaul.com/trucksales