PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use One Ap?

LawnTamer
02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi everybody,
Whoopass and I attended a conference today. There was a rep from Agrium Advanced Technologies, out of the Chicago area. He was pushing a product called One Ap.

One Ap is a 36-0-6 w/ 8% N-fate and 3% sulfur, you can also get it with prodiamine. It uses a proprietary coating that lasts up to 180 days, it relies on heat, and bacterial action for breakdown. The product is aptly named, as the whole Idea is that you only make one HEAVY application (about 2.5#N/k) and this feeds the lawn for 6 months. I was a little skeptical, but he had pics of lawns 5-6+ months after application date and they looked fabulous!

So, I am thinking, at the very least, this has merit for apps on commercial properties, as well as maybe pushing it as a 'green' option, as the slow, constant release of fert all but eliminates leaching and volitalization, as well as dentrification, you end up using 40-50% less total product.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Thoughts?

Jason Rose
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
If it really worked... It sounds good to me! Even if it lasted just most of the year, and then come back in late october/first of november and made a 'winter' application of just normal fert.

Of course you would still have to check in on the properties for weed pressure, but for guys that don't make their living spreading fert every day, it sounds like a winner to me. I'd love to be able to apply a good preemergent with a season long lasting fertilizer, around the end of March, when I have all kinds of time to do it.

I wonder what the costs on such a product is, and availability?

I'm looking hard at MESA this year, for my 2nd and 3rd apps. Price wise, it's not out of the ballpark like I thought it would be. A little $$ extra would be well worth it to me if it kept growth down and kept the turf a darker green and longer.

LawnTamer
02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
It is expensive. On unirrigated properties the recommended rate would cost about $5.50/k (that is with prodiamine), on irrigated properties you need to go a little higher, so it costs about $7/k.

Of course a sales rep is going to show the pics that look favorable, but these lawns were beautiful, very thick and healthy.

One big plus would also be that you wouldn't have any growth spikes... you know, the ones you get for 2-3 weeks after using urea.

R & R Yard Designs
02-28-2009, 12:40 AM
We have been using it for the part year, and yes guys it does work, it works great on our condos and townhomes that are large, if you have any questions just let me know.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I'll let you know later this year. I'm using it on a 24 acre irrigated facility (the one with prodiamine) I'm a skeptic.......We'll see:)

pieperlc
02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
How do you guys price it? I get paid per application. Is it a money maker or are you using it to get the other maintenance work?

grassman177
02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
that cost would be hihger than i even get for the jobs in some cases. the product loks greeat, the price tells me forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is just plain crazy. i use a 70% slow release N that degrades the same way and it is not even near the price of $5-7 per K. no way. you would have to charge more that round just to break even!

Jason Rose
02-28-2009, 10:44 AM
If you add up what 4 apps of fert cost, it's about the same. You could make one app in the spring, and then CHARGE the customer like normal every 2 months for fertilizer applications. Like a payment plan.

Your labor is cut by 75%, and now you can use the time that was spent spreading fert every 8 weeks to make other money. Of course you would have to spray the weeds at some point... And the situation I'm describing would only work in an ideal world...

grassman177
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
yeah, i may check into this. what i use does similar thing and i have cut down on fet use in other apps. always looking for better at cheaper. results always wini over price though.

PSUTURFGEEK
02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
If your looking for a product that will work like this use something that has lots of years behind it like Polyon by Purcell which is actually owned by Agrium. You will get amazing staying power, your looking at like $50.00 for a fifty # bag. If you need more info I still have a nice program saved that actually shows how it breaks down it's a nice selling tool due to it's cost.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
The product would have specific uses.

If I use it, I'll apply it Round 1, and then run liquid for the other 4 summer apps, running weeds/insecticide. That way, I'm still there for the customer and they don't have to have an explanation...

Think Green
02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Whooopasss,
Thank you for the added description to the question that I was wondering.

If a LCO is selling 4-7 applications of product and you only apply one fert for the growing season, then what about the other arrivals and flags they are used to seeing.
It would be easier however to sell the client 3 applications: one heavy preemerge-one heavy postemerge or whatever, and one fert that will account to 3. But I don't think that they will fall for the bait unless you can offer them proof in pamphlets.
I have seen products like this used primarily in the Superintendant Industry. It is swinging toward the residential market................

You need more Cowbell--HUH?

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
If a LCO is selling 4-7 applications of product and you only apply one fert for the growing season, then what about the other arrivals and flags they are used to seeing.

My thoughts are this: I'm selling them season-long fertilization, weed control, and pest control. If I am successful in doing that, what do my methods matter?

I would be out spraying for the weeds every 6 weeks, I'd be treating with bifenthrin multiple times, I'd possibly be running Imidachloprid, too. The yard sticks would be needed because of the pest and herbicides... and I'd be doing my job that I promised to do.

Basically, I feel no need to inform them of what formulation of fertilizer I'm using.

AND, truth be told, this stuff is MORE expensive than just applying my normal liquid apps... I'd just be hoping to make it worth its while in the amount of labor saved and the reduction of wear and tear on my sprayer.

You need more Cowbell--HUH?

I got a fever... and the only prescription is...

Think Green
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree with you 100% and was only implying that once a pattern is established with the older customers that have relied on seeing you and watching you apply products. They are the ones that are going to be hard to change over to a new product. Commercial applications are the butter on the bread. We don't have to explain anything. Do the work--slap the flag in the ground--go on!
We don't offer lawn insect control unless we have a hard year on ticks, fleas, and those pesky Bermuda Army worm that comes during the dry season and occassionally chinch bugs..
Saving money in return applications is a good thing........residentially, our trips provide extra money while we talk to the customer and bring up other things around the house that need attending....

No harm intended and no hard feelings taken!
Thanks for the response.!

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I agree with you 100% and was only implying that once a pattern is established with the older customers that have relied on seeing you and watching you apply products.

Haha. The only difference they'd see is that I added a heavy granular application, in addition to all the other stuff!

No harm intended and no hard feelings taken!

Same here. LawnTamer and I are just exploring our options.

grassman177
03-01-2009, 01:05 AM
options a re good. i change all the time to go with the weather and season

zimmatic
03-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I am going to dethatch if needed/wanted then apply fert w/dimension and then gallery 75 for season long control of broadleafs, Then in about 20-30 days apply 1 app of season long fert. I am going to try this approach only on a few properties to see how it works. Then I would only have 2 services maybe 3 if I have weed break outs along curbs or sidewalks IF the gallery preemergent breaks down. Im sure I will have some issues just have to work through them.

Jason Rose
03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
They make a preemergent for use in lawns that works on BROADLEAF weeds? Where have I been??? Does it really work?

zimmatic
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes they do I am going to try it I found the best price for united supply for 155/lbs and 1 lbs does one acre There is also a thread on here about gallery

rcreech
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Was the product using their Duration?

http://www.agrium.com/1681.jsp

If I had to bet it does as I just posted on here back in Nov or Dec about it.

I have looked at it...and even better they have the SAME product (no pesticides just N) called ESN. Only thing is since it is from the AG side it is about 1/2 the price.

Was going to test some this year...but not sure!

http://www.agrium.com/ESN/index.jsp

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Was the product using their Duration?

Yeah. It's a blend of some quick release Ammonium Sulfate + Duration 45 + Duration 90 + Duration 120 + Duration 180 .

rcreech
03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah. It's a blend of some quick release Ammonium Sulfate + Duration 45 + Duration 90 + Duration 120 + Duration 180 .

Not sure of the cost...but you may be able to buy some of the Duration 180 and mix with ESN and Urea or Ammonium Sulfate.

I know the ESN is pretty much Urea cost/ton + $50.

Just something to think about!

Think Green
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
rcreech,
I scanned over the product from Agrium, but didn't see if the stuff is labeled for use on Commercial and residential lawns.

I am sure it is labeled somewhere else named differently. Can anyone give me a name of the product. What rings my bell is back in the early 90's I read about the use of plasticoat fertilizers and co-polymer ferts. Is this the same stuff?
I am just making sure that what I read on this forum is used for lawns and not in the agricultural side. Even though they may be the same product, some states are anal about the difference.

rcreech
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
rcreech,
I scanned over the product from Agrium, but didn't see if the stuff is labeled for use on Commercial and residential lawns.

I am sure it is labeled somewhere else named differently. Can anyone give me a name of the product. What rings my bell is back in the early 90's I read about the use of plasticoat fertilizers and co-polymer ferts. Is this the same stuff?
I am just making sure that what I read on this forum is used for lawns and not in the agricultural side. Even though they may be the same product, some states are anal about the difference.

It is straight fertilizer...so there isn't a label.

The product is called ESN and the agrium ag retailers (CPS and UAP) should be carrying it.