PDA

View Full Version : Running Lights On Tool Box

EagleGrounds
02-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey,

I would like to put 2 yellow running lights on each side of my truck box. I have 2 options that i am considering.

A:

Mount them on the side, and put them all out to a 4 Pin trailer receiver, run it under my truck, and then plug it in at the 4 pin.

or

B:

Mount them and run the wire into the electrical system and place a switch inside my cab to be able to turn them on and off from inside.

I would like to do A because it would be easier, but i want to do B because it would be nicer and i could use it while pulling 4 Pin trailers.

If i went with B, how would i do it? I know nothing about electrical and lighting systems.....

Thanks!

seabee1
02-28-2009, 11:13 AM
if it were me ,i would run a extra ground and running light wire out of the back of the trailer plug and up through the pick up box stake pocket from the bottom ,and use a two wire plug to connect to the light's ,so you can remove the box later .that way you can still use the trailer plug ,and not forget to turn the switch off. :usflag:

Bigred350
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Ive got 2 lights on both sides of my tool box. I ran the wires through the tool box then through the bottom of the bed. The ran the wire to the tag light wire and spliced into it. And just ran a ground to the frame.

Dirt Digger2
03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
you could always just splice the 4 pin wire under the bumper too...

I would go with B, it is how my running lights are mounted, that way you can always turn them off if you ever have to make your truck not as recognizable in the night time...i have had to do that before too..haha

what i did was just tap into one of my fuses in the fuse panel, run the wire to the switch, then run the next wire out of the switch, out of the cab and into the light...

you can easily tap a 10AMP fuse if you are only putting 4 running lights on, especially if they are LED's

EagleGrounds
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I have purchased my lights, and i am going to wire them up, i bought a quick disconnect to mount on the outside of the tool box in the event that i ever need to take my toobox out, but thats very unlikely, but from there i am going to run the wire to my rear tail lights and tap it in to my parking light wire, so it comes on with my headlights!

Does anyone see a problem with this or should it be fine?

IdealLawnCare
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a workable plan to me.

Bigred350
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
sounds perfect to me. post some pics when done.