PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Hydrexx, Uflexx & Umaxx

LawnTamer
02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi guys,
just wondering if any of you have had experience using any of these technologies to try to get more even feedings and to try to to reduce N waste through leaching, dentrification or volitazation.

Apart from the volatility of N pricing, I would like to reduce the amount of N I am using for environmental reasons. I have been told that by using these products one can reduce N use by 25-30%. Has anyone experienced this?

FdLLawnMan
02-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I used UMAXX last year at 3/4 lb/M and got at least 12 weeks of green during a very wet summer. I will be doing the same thing this year. I believe it to be a very high quality source of nitrogen. UMAXX has twice the amount of HYDREXX that UFLEXX does. My sales rep says that UFLEXX lasts about 8 weeks.

MStine315
02-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Getting a good 8 weeks out of UFlexx at .75 lbs. here. Swear by it. I use 1/4 lb. soluble and 1/2 lb UFlexx in Spring and fall and 3/4 lb. Uflexx straight in summer. I am planning on trying some UMaxx this summer on some hard to spray areas to see if I can reduce number of fert. visits.

LawnTamer
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you find you get a darker green with Hydrexx/Umaxx/Uflexx?

pieperlc
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
What releases the urea? Microbial, moisture dependent? Just curious.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-28-2009, 10:52 PM
What releases the urea? Microbial, moisture dependent? Just curious.

The way it works is this (correct me if I'm goofing it up, peeps):

Most urea volatizes and leaches as ammonia. Grass can uptake/consume ammonia as fast as it can get it (like the way grass grows crazy fast after a typical liquid application). True Nitrates, however, are only taken up as the plant needs it.

Hydrexx blocks the urea from breaking down and releasing the ammonia and, therefore, the Nitrates sit still in the soil until the grass is ready to utilize them. You end up with steady growth and better utilization (less waste) of the urea put down.

humble1
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
So who makes it is it? Is it the same as mesa line?

FdLLawnMan
03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
So who makes it is it? Is it the same as mesa line?

Agrotain is the manufacturer of all three.

humble1
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Agrotain is the manufacturer of all three.

Thanks for the info I just shot them an email

MStine315
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Is it the same as mesa line?

I am trying an alternative this year that is, indeed, from Lebanon Seaboard. It's called LSN. A little cheaper than Uflexx, but rumor has it that it's made by Agrotain as well, just marketed by Lebanon. I'm also switching from convential Poly coat sources to an LSN granular. Should be interesting.

http://lebturf.com/pdfs/PIS2242687.pdf

pieperlc
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I am trying an alternative this year that is, indeed, from Lebanon Seaboard. It's called LSN. A little cheaper than Uflexx, but rumor has it that it's made by Agrotain as well, just marketed by Lebanon. I'm also switching from convential Poly coat sources to an LSN granular. Should be interesting.

http://lebturf.com/pdfs/PIS2242687.pdf

Are you trying out the nutrilife? If so, what does it add to the cost if you don't mind me asking.

pieperlc
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
The way it works is this (correct me if I'm goofing it up, peeps):

Most urea volatizes and leaches as ammonia. Grass can uptake/consume ammonia as fast as it can get it (like the way grass grows crazy fast after a typical liquid application). True Nitrates, however, are only taken up as the plant needs it.

Hydrexx blocks the urea from breaking down and releasing the ammonia and, therefore, the Nitrates sit still in the soil until the grass is ready to utilize them. You end up with steady growth and better utilization (less waste) of the urea put down.

That helps, thanks. So correct me if I'm wrong with this. Stabilized nitrogen release is unaffected by moisture and temperature. So it will release the same whether it is May, July, or November.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Stabilized nitrogen release is unaffected by moisture and temperature. So it will release the same whether it is May, July, or November.

So long as it remains available to the plant. There will still be issues with leaching if the CEC's of the soil are too low - that's unavoidable. And it IS tied to plant metabolism. So it will still have SOME growth fluctuations - just nothing like when you dump straight urea on it.

MnLefty
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Guys-

Go here for a simple presentation on how stabilized nitrogen works.

http://www.agrotain.com/demos/uflexx_demo.swf

Tons of info all over the Agrotain website.

pieperlc
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I saw that. I was just looking for some unbiased info. Thanks

heritage
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Are you trying out the nutrilife? If so, what does it add to the cost if you don't mind me asking.

We are going to Try the Nutrilife this season, in our early rounds. It is priced lower than the Mesa, and Similar to SCU (in cost). I believe it will be another OUTSTANDING product, and it will drive the price up in the future.

There is even a product available with Nutrilife AND Mesa blended together!

I think it will be the Future of High Quality lawn app products.

Time will tell.

I think Nutralife is a form of Yeast which fixes N to the soil, but not exactly sure.

Enjoy,

Pete

heritage
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Oops,

Sorry for the hijack :)

I like Hydrexx at the HIGH Rate, for 14 weeks green with a full Lb 46-0-0 urea soluable.

Neat mode of action.

Pete

pieperlc
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I think we might have held it hostage too.

MStine315
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM

I'm trying to decifer all my chicken scratch from Jan. when the pricing was all over the map, but it looks like it was around $1.25 a bag more for the Nutrilife product vs. the same Lebanon product without the Nurtilife. Fwiw, I'm not hanging my hat on the Nutrilife working. There was a thread last fall about it, I'll see if I can find it. I kind of wonder if it's snake oil, but we'll see. But, I paid a solid $1.50 less per bag with the nutrilife than what Lesco quoted me for 24-0-11 50% Poly. So it was king of worth it to try.