PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a Landscaping Business, Need your help!

meatalex
02-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey guys!

I'm a young entrepreneur who's had experience with managing my own painting business last summer booking over 70 jobs incurring $35,000 in profit in 4 months. I'm in college now (2nd year) and I'm starting up a landscaping company just doing the little things now, such as field maintenance (mowing etc) and snow plowing in the winter.

I have enough capital to invest in a new truck (preferably would want a used and a relatively cheaper vehicle for snow plowing) and all other materials. But, I'm trying to use my money wisely so I've decided to post this thread.

I've been trying to search for some good info but couldn't find any useful ones . I was hoping you guys could help!

Seven commercial properties are ready for their maintenance and I need the materials to go along with it. Also, I'll be working with a friend as a 50/50 business partner.

All your useful input is appreciated.

Thanks!

lawnfreak09
02-28-2009, 12:51 AM
well base you equipment off of your accounts there's no need to buy a flashy $10,000 mower if you don't need it just keep your overhead low and you'll do fine. good luck

mowerbrad
02-28-2009, 02:34 PM
When you buy a truck just buy one, don't get two just to have one for plowing and one for mowing, its a waste of money and just stupid. Use the same truck all year. But when your plowing, just be careful and make sure to shift properly (ie, shifting from forward to reverse when completely stopped). Buy a decent used truck either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, buying used you will avoid most of the depreciation that incures very quickly when first purchasing a vehicle. As for your equipment, buy new a new trimmer and blower. Right now you may be able to find a 2008 left over mower for a good price new. But look for the deals, they are out there. I would suggest looking for a 48"-52" wb, they will be much cheaper than a commercial ztr.

turf&snow98
02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
If you going to buy a truck go at least 3/4 ton, they are built much better. Mowers... 48-60" walk behind scag or exmark is your best bet.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I would recommend buying a 2004.5 (LLY Engine) Duramax or newer, the first model engine (LB7) has injector issues, but regardless, buy a duramax, they have the rock solid allison transmission, you will not be disappointed!!!

ChristianJ318
03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Also, I'll be working with a friend as a 50/50 business partner.

Having a 50/50 partner is a bad idea, especially if the guy is your friend. Someone ultimately needs to be able to make the final call on things if you guys can't agree on something. Speaking from experience, partnering with a friend is an overall bad idea! I thought since my now ex-friend and I got along so well and were both very knowledgeable about the business we were in, everything we be great. Notice I said ex-friend...

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Having a 50/50 partner is a bad idea, especially if the guy is your friend
i do have to agree with him on this matter. when u have a partnership in a business thing can go down hill quick. i seen this happen, my uncle and dad did electrical work together for 5 year. finally they got tired of each other trying to be the boss. they split there own ways and didn't talk for a while. if it with a friend it could distroy your friendship. As far as equipment look for as every one has said a used walk behind. and at least spend the money and get some commercial trimmer and blower. and with truck if you are going to be plowing stick with a 3/4 ton are a 1 ton better for plowing, from what i have been reading. my 2 cents worth