PDA

View Full Version : how often to mow?

MIlawncareservice
02-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I am in process of getting ready to start submitting proposals and in the estimates what is the best way to write in how often I mow their grass?

so far I this for #1 of estimate,
1;) lawn is to be mowed everytime it reaches a height of at least 6"

Also, how often show I really be mowing?? Is 6" to tall? I am going by a book I read that said not to cut more than 1/3 off at a time and cutting 6" to 4" "sounded" good to me but I am clueless!

basicly whats the normal height for commercial grass to be mowed? kind of like how we all plow 2" here in Michigan for commercial lots.

thanks

lawnfreak09
02-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Well every account will be different but i usually keep things around 4.5" or try to until august anyway lol

MileHigh
02-28-2009, 01:59 AM
You got it all wrong...

It's not like a 2" trigger in snow...If it was..you would have no scheduling..it would be chaotic.

You mow on a schedule...weekly, bi-monthly (everyother week), and sometimes on 10 day or monthly intervals... In my area, we base our maintenance season off of around 26-28 cuttings...

Sometimes I will skip a weekly account because of lack of growth...but not many times..and last year was a drought.

Most of the grass I mow gets mowed down to 3 to 3.5 inches..of course there are some grass conditions that call for 2.5 inches around here.

It's going to take longer to mow grass in the spring when it's growing like crazy...but the price will all average out...cause in the dead of the summer your barely cutting squat off faster then hell burns itself.

dwight1moore
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
i try to keep grass around 4inches unless its the drought season like btwn late july through august. during that time you have to watch what your doing or all the grass will be brown. buts thats just my area im sure it varies from place to place.

mowerbrad
02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
With grass, keep it on a schedule. I would push the weekly or bi-monthly mowing, don't be pushing the every 10 day thing though, it is too much of a pain. Now there are some exceptions with mowing like if your in a drought and the grass isn't growing much, then you may skip a week. But keep it on schedule and when writing it in your estimates just say the grass will be mowed every week or every other week.

turf&snow98
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
In PA i mow about every 5 days in the spring, every 7 on avg temp months, makes it easy to schedule, when it is burnt in the summer i skip a week or 2, depends what they look like. It avg's out in the end.

supercuts
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
its an absolute nightmare to vary from a weekly or every other week schedual. in some case lawns do need to be done bi-week (which means twice in one week even though most on here think it means every 2 weeks). if you get into the 10 day cycle it falls on weekends and is difficult to schedual. also, when you get booked the days are full and then your 10 lawns get dumped in with them. try not to do that if possible

LawnMan883
03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Here i just cut every 7 days. If there is nothing to cut i do other stuff like weeding or care of bushes. my customers like knowing which day iw ill arrive and its easy to schedule. When the grass grows faster in the spring i usually just collect the clippings so the lawn looks great no matter what. I Also include the weekly fall leaf vaccuuming too and price accordingly. it seems to work best for me. Do what works best for you and you will get the hang of it. I started off with just a monthly price and then only servicing when it needed it but it tended to upset customers when they only saw me 1-2 times a month in the dry season.

Tommy Boy
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
First off we do not cut grass, you contract with us for service visits, if the turf needs mowing, then we mow. We have a 7 step service visit that dictates the work to be performed. We show up based on the level of service the customer requests and has signed a service agreement with us. Weekly, every 10 days, or twice monthly. This way we get paid based on the visit, not the mowing.

Attached is our service vist document, hope this helps

jeepwrite
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
its an absolute nightmare to vary from a weekly or every other week schedual. in some case lawns do need to be done bi-week (which means twice in one week even though most on here think it means every 2 weeks). if you get into the 10 day cycle it falls on weekends and is difficult to schedual. also, when you get booked the days are full and then your 10 lawns get dumped in with them. try not to do that if possible

The term bi-weekly means every other week, or every two weeks. Bi-monthly, bi-yearly... every two months, every other year... The Latin word bi translates into two.

The term semi-weekly means twice a week. Semi-annually means twice a year. The Latin word semi translates into half.

Tommy Boy
03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
The term bi-weekly means every other week, or every two weeks. Bi-monthly, bi-yearly... every two months, every other year... The Latin word bi translates into two.

The term semi-weekly means twice a week. Semi-annually means twice a year. The Latin word semi translates into half.

Dude, there is a thread on this very topic..

http://http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=263903

Bottom line who cares..... If it has feathers it's a duck

jeepwrite
03-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I apologize for not reading every single thread on this forum.

terraman21
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
hey man just keep it to once aweek in the spring and and if needed twice then yeah and summer when it doesnt need cut dont cut it that is how basic it is. but remember about the summerwould you rather have a customer calla and say why didnt you cut it?? or have them say whyd you cut it?? some of our customers go a 2 weeks in the summer just cause of how there lawn is

RegalLawnCare.Com
03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
We offer 3 mowing frequencies:

1. Weekly Mowing
2. Weekly in Spring, Bi-Weekly Thereafter
3. Bi-Weekly

This year, we are dumping every 10 day mowing - the scheduling is too much of a pain-in-the a#$#

Also, we bag the clippings the first cutting of the year for all customers (on large lawns, we only bag the front yard)

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
03-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Why not just put on your proposals "Mowing all turf areas as needed" I don't really feel its necessary to be so specific you mention the exact cuts per year, but you could give someone weekly or bi-weekly service based on their budget and needs. Kinda like tommy boys 7 step service, sometimes you may be only weeding the flower beds, and other times mowing every week based on the time of year.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
03-02-2009, 12:36 AM
First off we do not cut grass, you contract with us for service visits, if the turf needs mowing, then we mow. We have a 7 step service visit that dictates the work to be performed. We show up based on the level of service the customer requests and has signed a service agreement with us. Weekly, every 10 days, or twice monthly. This way we get paid based on the visit, not the mowing.

Attached is our service vist document, hope this helps

So how do your levels work? You mentioned on the level of service, what do you have a 7 step, 10 step, or etc. type system?

Tommy Boy
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
So how do your levels work? You mentioned on the level of service, what do you have a 7 step, 10 step, or etc. type system?

NYC

Go up to my first post on this I posted our service plan in PDF, it works well for us, one guy or a crew of 4 can do this. It's a service visit and we service the property based on the conditions and time of year. Sometimes in the summer we do all 7 steps, other times we my just do beds and blow off, crew leader is the person who makes the call.

Hope this helps

Dave_005
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I do weekly mowings, Every Week on the Same day (weather permitting). it's to much of a pain to try and scedule in bi-weeklys, and 10 day cuts.

hackitdown
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I do weekly in May, June, July no matter what. Customer lawns with sprinklers get weekly all season no matter what.

For customers with no sprinklers, August, Sept, Oct depends on weather. If it is hot and dry, I will stretch it to 10 or 14 days.

I fill August with pruning. I fill September with aeration/seeding. October brings leaves, which causes longer mowing visits, so they pay extra.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I agree with above, make a set schedule for each of your custs, whether it be weekly, bi-weekly, or whatever. In the spring, you will want AT LEAST weekly, if not more often. Then in the heat (and dry) of the summer, you will be backing off to 10 days to 2 weeks. It usually averages out ok unless weather extremes.

Most importantly, make sure YOU DICTATE your visits. DO NOT be on call where your customers can jerk you around on an unset schedule. To cure this ailment, make up an agreement that your customers sign/date.