PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Fireplaces

Mid-Ohio Scaper
02-28-2009, 03:56 AM
I'll start with one I through together for a client last year.

Lawnworks
02-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Was that a kit?

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Yikes.

I sure hope that block is rated for use with fire............................

The construction looks nice, you did a good job.

But man oh man......that sure does look extremely LEGO-EY. The modular block industry has it's place for some things. Then there are other things where they just need to staw away.

Dountman
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Finished this one last fall.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Looks good man! I'd like to see it lined with fire brick but than who gives a **** what others think.:)

cudaclan
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I was under the impression that only materials rated for fire (high heat) could be used. Cement (portland) based materials cannot withstand high heat. Additionally, they are air-dried and not kiln fired. Water trapped (absorption) in the material can have detrimental consequences when high temperatures are applied. An air-gap with a fire brick lined box is safer.

Dountman
02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Our chimney was built using a Hutch Chimney insert. Basically a pre-built metal fireplace set on top of fire bricks. We then built around that using blocks, there is at 6" between the insert and the block in all directions. No adhesives are used either everything is held together using Fire-Stop Mortar.

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Before I read Casper's most recent post I noticed the metal liner inside. Kinda interesting.

Casper, might you have any pictures of the fireplace during construction? I'd like to see how it's all assembeled.

I really do not like this modular block idea, but that doesn't mean we won't do them.

I do not like this idea of mixing concrete products and fire. Many many moons ago in shop class a guy was working with a cutting torch. The heat from the torch caused the concrete floor to explode in his face. I burn piles of brush on my property, and the land is infested with alotta natural rock. Well, when the fire is alive and burning you get pelted with pieces of stone!

Dountman
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
DVS these are the only two pictures I could find and they do not do much justice. One mainly only shows the flue, the other shows a bit of the insert, however it was before we decided we did not like the way it was starting too look and ended up tearing it back down.

Also agree with you on the block. We were told using the insert and the precautions that we used the block will not have any problems. Time will tell I suppose, this is the first one we have built, I guess its one of those learning experiences.
-Colin

Bru75
02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Here are a couple pics of one that I'm building in my back yard. I've been working on it for about a year and a half - in my spare time. Seems like my only spare time is when it's freezing cold or blazing hot, though. The second one is as far as I got before cold weather caught me.

zedosix
02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Nice countryside Bru

Bru75
02-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice countryside Bru

Thanks! If you like that, here's the view from my front porch.

BrandonV
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
here's one we did last summer, I'll take another photo this week when I go down to discuss lighting but the big circle now has a tile artwork my sister-in-law did, very neat.

2low4NH
02-28-2009, 09:13 PM
that one is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! i wanna start doing outdoor fire places but weonly build rumford style indoor freplaces! no realmarket for them around here

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Casper! I like that flue and liner idea. I just be me referrin back to those pics one day if the need arises.

What brand block is that? And is it a kit?

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice countryside Bru

That REALLY is BEAUTIFUL country where Bru is.

I have friends that live in that neck of the woods. A couple years ago they had their wedding at her parents property. A real simple wedding. But the scenery made it one of the nicest weddings I been to.

And considering Bru isn't all that far from Washington DC - when you go to that area, with the beautiful mountainscenery, it's hard to believe that DC isn't very far.

Also, Bru - your fire place is looking very nice so far!

DVS Hardscaper
02-28-2009, 10:01 PM
brandon - that fireplace/hearth/stonework is amazing! did your guys do that or did you sub it to a mason? either way - thats incredible! And a must have on the home page of your website!

Bru75
03-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks, DVS. I've got a long way to go with it. I eventually want to build a flagstone patio with a seat wall in front, kind of like Brandon's but on a smaller scale. I hope to use it to create more interest in this kind of work in my area.
Brandon, that fireplace is beautiful!

BrandonV
03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
we have a mason that we try to keep busy, we do all the design and heavy lifting for him and he'll throw up the rock. we used to do the masonry with the landscape crew but you loose too much time, when our current guy finally retires we'll bring it back inside all the way but not before.

Dountman
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Holy! Nice work Brandon. That thing looks sweet, nice work.

DVS, its Unilock Brussels Dimensional block, not a kit.

McVey Landscaping
03-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Ok this is my question. I have done patios, walks, several retaining walls, never a fire pit or fire place. Are you using a block adhesive or what to keep the dry look. Help! I would like to build a fire pit in my shop for a demo to get more clients. I have welded a 1/8 inch 3 foot square metal insert with a grate for a fire place. Just curious did not know how well a PL block adhesive will hold up under radiant heat.

McVey Landscaping
03-02-2009, 05:03 AM
here's one we did last summer, I'll take another photo this week when I go down to discuss lighting but the big circle now has a tile artwork my sister-in-law did, very neat.

That is flipping nice!

2low4NH
03-02-2009, 09:01 AM
you could always line the inside of it with fire brick that will reduce the radiant heat

cudaclan
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Adhesive will not withstand high heat. No comments on the dry stack method.

http://www.rumford.com/articleRefmortar.html

Ok this is my question. I have done patios, walks, several retaining walls, never a fire pit or fire place. Are you using a block adhesive or what to keep the dry look. Help! I would like to build a fire pit in my shop for a demo to get more clients. I have welded a 1/8 inch 3 foot square metal insert with a grate for a fire place. Just curious did not know how well a PL block adhesive will hold up under radiant heat.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Adhesive will not withstand high heat. No comments on the dry stack method.

http://www.rumford.com/articleRefmortar.html

Your link said nothing about adhesive???? Was it to let us know what will work with high heat????

Drew Gemma
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I am no fireplace pro but our supplier will guarrante the block if you line everything with fire block and or a chimney liner which are made right down the road from our supplier. Only problem around here is ppl just don't want to pay for anything real nice. So we end up building a pit style ring with a drain and a few course of block yuck!

2low4NH
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
i dont think i would use refractory cement on the the outer blocks. if you have ever used it before it tends to chalk up over time on the out side. i would only use it on the firebox. and the flue tile.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Anyone see this fireplace in the Belgard catalog on page two?

Danscapes
03-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Here are the kits that I have used, and a link to the website. You stack the interior then mortar your stone to it.
www.isokern.net

2low4NH
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
those isokern kis are nice but 1200 bucks for something i could build on site for much much cheaper i cant justify it. i have thought about picking a couple up to do some pre made units to sell on the side.

Danscapes
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
The time savings I think is worth every penny, I have built a small one (just the fireplace with no add-ons) in two days, start to finish.

2low4NH
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
maybe i will look into them a little more. i just didnt think they would save much time after your done wrapping inside and outside of the box.

McVey Landscaping
03-04-2009, 05:32 AM
I can't wait. As soon as I get off 7am, I'm heading to get a load of blocks. I have spoke with a friend who owns a local salt glazed pottery business, said he would hook me up on fire blocks. I am going to build one from scratch in my shop, then tear it down or leave on a skid and move it. Can you tell I just a little excited. Will post some pics later. :dancing::clapping:

2low4NH
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
okay so im bored and i feel likeposting a few pictures. here's two fireplaces i did at one job. one is a traditional rumford style fireplace the other is a gas insert.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/radarblue95/Picture024.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/radarblue95/Picture026.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/radarblue95/Picture300.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/radarblue95/Picture298.jpg

crab
03-04-2009, 11:13 PM
nice job,not my taste but youre mortar looks very clean.

2low4NH
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
not my style either. i cant stand that bubbly look. i prefer flat square stone. but you gotta do what the customer wants. i had about 200 other picsbefore my hardricve took a poop. the mud is special i have a little style to how i joint up my work

BrandonV
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
hey guys I took some pics today w/ my sister-in-laws tile work. the homeowner is getting furniture to match the tile, pics aren't the best since the sun was in my face but oh well. if any of yall ever have a client who might want a tile mural like this hit me up, she's a starving artist so to speak... the tile is a fired glaze, so it's permanent

Bru75
03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Once again, beautiful!
Nice location, too.

Supertiger
03-06-2009, 08:41 AM
that is beautiful work, at first i thought it was stain glass window. I wonder how that picture would look if it where stain glass with some low voltage lighting behind it.

2low4NH
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
nah not on a fireplace. although i built one that hada 52" plasma screen pop out of it and spin 360

riverwalklandscaping
03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
needs a pizza oven lol

tatmkr
03-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I have always used an insert or fire brick. Now that any guy with a saw thinks he can build I had to adapt. Now I mention both methods to the customer and the dis/advantages of each way.
The one with the pergola:
-Insert $7500-$8000 (which it has)
-Without $4500-$5000

2low4NH
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
what are you doing on the lower priced one? i can cut a fire box in about 2 hours for a standard rumford box so labor isnt really an issue for price its only the added cost of material. i have only done 2 outdoor units both are fire pits that were unlined one was natural stone the other was wall stone.

trailboss
03-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Heres one that we did a while back. This was before the roof went on the back patio.

trailboss
03-10-2009, 12:13 AM
A couple more after the roof and doors.

2low4NH
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
whats up with the 4" cored block in the fire box?

btammo
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have any structural pics? I am curious of the transition between the firebox and the chimney area. I guess i should read up on the construction aspect of the fireplaces first, but anyway.

trailboss
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
whats up with the 4" cored block in the fire box?

I think that the homeowner put a couple of blocks in there temporarily to build a fire on. They didnt have an iron wood rack yet.

2low4NH
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have any structural pics? I am curious of the transition between the firebox and the chimney area. I guess i should read up on the construction aspect of the fireplaces first, but anyway.

depends if you go with a prefab unit our you build a traditional style unit. the spot you are talking about is the throut or smoke shelf. it can be built with brick the prefab units are several interlocking units. its pretty straght forward it angles and shrinks using a step and cut method. if you have never done a box before a prefab unit is your best bet.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I think that the homeowner put a couple of blocks in there temporarily to build a fire on. They didnt have an iron wood rack yet.

You mean to tell me the home owner spent thousands of dollars with you to build the fireplace and then some and you couldn't even supply the $100.00 rack to build a fire on????????? What gives????
Not to take away from the structure it looks beautiful!!!

2low4NH
03-11-2009, 11:17 AM
people spend $20K+ for us to build indoor fireplaces i have never given them a rack. if they can afford my work they can afford a rack.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
people spend $20K+ for us to build indoor fireplaces i have never given them a rack. if they can afford my work they can afford a rack.

WOW!! I can't believe you guys! :dizzy: If I spent 20 grand with anyone to build me a fireplace I'd expect it to be fire ready when it was done, rack included! That's like buying a $50,000 new truck and not getting floor mats! Sure it's a small issue, but hey, I just dropped tens of thousands of dollars for your product the least you could do is have it ready to do whatever it is it was built to do.
But hey that's just me, I expect a full product for my money. JMO

trailboss
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
When we left the homeowner wasnt sure if they wanted to do a gas starter or gas logs. Either way I normally dont buy the accesories - I leave that to the homeowner. Its kinda like that $50k dollar truck - I usually dont use the floor mats that come in it. I buy the spillproof heavy duty mats. People have to go buy the fireplace poker,stoker, broom, shovel, storage rack, wood etc... It's part of having a fireplace. Just my opinion.

Drew Gemma
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
the extras are just that extra It's called business making a profit is okay everyone else does it or you go out of business

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-12-2009, 01:08 AM
the extras are just that extra It's called business making a profit is okay everyone else does it or you go out of business

If a $100 rack is gonna make or break your profit margin you better rethink the whole way you do business.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-12-2009, 01:19 AM
When we left the homeowner wasnt sure if they wanted to do a gas starter or gas logs. Either way I normally dont buy the accesories - I leave that to the homeowner. Its kinda like that $50k dollar truck - I usually dont use the floor mats that come in it. I buy the spillproof heavy duty mats. People have to go buy the fireplace poker,stoker, broom, shovel, storage rack, wood etc... It's part of having a fireplace. Just my opinion.

That I can understand, the homeowner wasn't sure about gas or not.
But when it comes to the $50,000 truck, you're right I don't use the mats that come with the truck either but it's the principal of the whole thing. When I spend a large sum of money I want the whole package, unless I tell the salesman otherwise.

I just like to make my customers feel like they got the most for their dollar and in this day and age people don't get that very often. When I take care of my customers it comes back to me ten fold by word of mouth alone, and if that means buying a $100 rack for their wood to sit on so be it. If they trust me enough to spend tens of thousands with me, then they can trust me to do the best job and not skimp on the small stuff. That's just the way I do business.

2low4NH
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
WOW!! I can't believe you guys! :dizzy: If I spent 20 grand with anyone to build me a fireplace I'd expect it to be fire ready when it was done, rack included! That's like buying a $50,000 new truck and not getting floor mats! Sure it's a small issue, but hey, I just dropped tens of thousands of dollars for your product the least you could do is have it ready to do whatever it is it was built to do.
But hey that's just me, I expect a full product for my money. JMO

i have had customers drop 6K on a harth stone if they want it to be ready for a fire with bellows and pokers a broom shovel and wood rack thats fine if they ask for it i will figure it into the price. you dont need a wood rack in a fireplace it justmakes it better. maybe you should go price fire places there not cheap. i have done many many fireplaces where the face of the fireplace is worth more then i make in a month. if you want a "baller" status fireplace that is gonna cost 20K plus its usually going in a home where it will only be used for decoration or used just on holidays. why should i give a customer a rack when i beat out the next guy on the bid.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
i have had customers drop 6K on a harth stone if they want it to be ready for a fire with bellows and pokers a broom shovel and wood rack thats fine if they ask for it i will figure it into the price. you dont need a wood rack in a fireplace it justmakes it better. maybe you should go price fire places there not cheap. i have done many many fireplaces where the face of the fireplace is worth more then i make in a month. if you want a "baller" status fireplace that is gonna cost 20K plus its usually going in a home where it will only be used for decoration or used just on holidays. why should i give a customer a rack when i beat out the next guy on the bid.

Apparently I've touched a nerve.
I'm not telling you guys how to do business. If you want to put a rack in, cool.
If not, so be it.
I just know what I would want out of my 20K "baller" fireplace, and what I would expect out of the contractor. That's all I'm saying.
20K is a sh*t load of money for a fireplace and if I'm going to drop that kind of jack on anything I want the full package.
I mean, if I'm rich or not. Am I alone in wanting the most for my money????????????? Am I asking to much?????????????
For you guys maybe I am, but I give give my customers their money's worth, weather they spend 5K or 20K. They get the whole package, a fireplace that's ready to burn in the moment I leave.
That, my friends is just how I roll.

2low4NH
03-12-2009, 01:13 PM
20K is average we range from 5-24k on INDOOR fireplaces. they are all ready to burn when we leave. we add alot of extra to our units like cold air return high quality clean out and ash dump doors. i buy all high end material i dont cut any corners its a matter of you get what you pay for im the 4th generation of the company i think we are doing alright.

btammo
03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah you cant cut corners on any indoor unit and it should be ready to burn when you leave. It is too much of a liability to not have it ready.

btammo
03-12-2009, 05:11 PM
depends if you go with a prefab unit our you build a traditional style unit. the spot you are talking about is the throut or smoke shelf. it can be built with brick the prefab units are several interlocking units. its pretty straght forward it angles and shrinks using a step and cut method. if you have never done a box before a prefab unit is your best bet.

Do you have a picture of this? Or a picture of the fireplace before the veneer? Thanks

2low4NH
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
i might be able to pull something up in a day or 2 gotta look through some memory cards. i dont use the prefab units but you can see those sytems online.

btammo
03-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah i dotn want a prefab unit either. I will be doing this at my house this summer. Thanks for your help.

billwlod
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Has anyone done any pizza ovens

2low4NH
03-14-2009, 08:01 PM
i did one but it was like 8 years ago

billwlod
03-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Have any pics of construction? Im looking for ideas. Im going to include it in a outdoor kitchen Im building on my deck.

Ground Effects NH
03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Has anyone done any pizza ovens

Have any pics of construction? Im looking for ideas. Im going to include it in a outdoor kitchen Im building on my deck.

Look at youtube pizza oven construction you'll find a ton of ideas and videos.

2low4NH
03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
8 years ago i didnt even own a digi camera. never looked at youtube for ways to build gotta check that site out more

kootoomootoo
03-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Our chimney was built using a Hutch Chimney insert. Basically a pre-built metal fireplace set on top of fire bricks. We then built around that using blocks, there is at 6" between the insert and the block in all directions. No adhesives are used either everything is held together using Fire-Stop Mortar.

How do you stop this from rusting..it is metal and it is Outside.
I called Hutch and they said its not for outdoor use and once it starts rusting there is other issues.

2low4NH
03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
regardless if its metal its going to rust if its inside or outside. metal inserts are never very nice in the long run they get over heated warp burn out and rust. you will always be better off using real masonry methods building ovens or fireplaces. fire brick can take a huge amount of heat before seeing any damage. i have seen fire brick glowing beat red with out them being effected much. you make metal glow red it warps and melts.

capelawncare.com
03-20-2009, 12:26 AM

I am about 1/2 way thru building one right now. You can either buy a kit for a few grand, or build the whole thing yourself.

If your a sadist, like myself. You will build it yourself. The DIY way is relatively easy, but a real time consuming project. Not something you are going to bang out in a few days. (Notice the time frames, the owners posted in their webpages.)

The difference in price for the kit, very well maybe worth the labor involved in building.

Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.brickoventampa.com/

http://www.villagok.dk/brickoven/index.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-oven/

http://www.deltabluesfestival.net/pizza_oven.htm

http://www.woodfiredpizza.org/index.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html

Have fun oven building.....

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Is it me or do outdoor pizza ovens sound like a waste of time and money????
I barely have time to make a frozen pizza let alone a pizza from scratch, then take it outside to bake.
I just wanna sit by the fire and drink beer, forget all of the work of cooking a damn pizza in a thousand dollar oven you may use a couple of times a year.

trailboss
03-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I barely have time to make a frozen pizza let alone a pizza from scratch, then take it outside to bake.
I just wanna sit by the fire and drink beer, forget all of the work of cooking a damn pizza in a thousand dollar oven you may use a couple of times a year.

Thousand dollars nothin' - I know it sounds crazy to me too. But if somebody wants one we will build it.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Thousand dollars nothin' - I know it sounds crazy to me too. But if somebody wants one we will build it.

Oh, I agree! If somebody wants to give their money away for a pizza oven I have no qualms about taking it.

Ground Effects NH
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I am about 1/2 way thru building one right now. You can either buy a kit for a few grand, or build the whole thing yourself.

If your a sadist, like myself. You will build it yourself. The DIY way is relatively easy, but a real time consuming project. Not something you are going to bang out in a few days. (Notice the time frames, the owners posted in their webpages.)

The difference in price for the kit, very well maybe worth the labor involved in building.

Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.brickoventampa.com/

http://www.villagok.dk/brickoven/index.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-oven/

http://www.deltabluesfestival.net/pizza_oven.htm

http://www.woodfiredpizza.org/index.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html

Have fun oven building.....

Thanks for all the links:waving:

capelawncare.com
03-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Its a labor of love. You can do quite a bit more then pizza in them. You can BBQ in them. As well as bake breads.

A good friend of mine already has one, and he has talked me into building ours. Its a great way to entertain. Not to mention drink beer. Besides the BBQ that comes out of that thing is spectacular.

capelawncare.com
03-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the links:waving:

No problem, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Ground Effects NH
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
No problem, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

The wife an I have been talking about a outside fireplace to entertain on the weekends for sometime now. we have a fire pit burning all summer as it is now. I love the idea of a outside fireplace, combined with a pizza oven. Ice cold draft beer for the guys, wine for the girls. Ya, I could enjoy that.:drinkup:

capelawncare.com
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
The wife an I have been talking about a outside fireplace to entertain on the weekends for sometime now. we have a fire pit burning all summer as it is now. I love the idea of a outside fireplace, combined with a pizza oven. Ice cold draft beer for the guys, wine for the girls. Ya, I could enjoy that.:drinkup:

Its a great way to entertain... Pour a cold one, light the oven.... Drink a few cold ones while the oven heats up.... Slap together a few pies... Drink another cold one.... Put pies in the oven... 3 minutes later Pizza.

Repeat process until beer is gone...

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Its a labor of love. You can do quite a bit more then pizza in them. You can BBQ in them. As well as bake breads.

A good friend of mine already has one, and he has talked me into building ours. Its a great way to entertain. Not to mention drink beer. Besides the BBQ that comes out of that thing is spectacular.

Its a great way to entertain... Pour a cold one, light the oven.... Drink a few cold ones while the oven heats up.... Slap together a few pies... Drink another cold one.... Put pies in the oven... 3 minutes later Pizza.

Repeat process until beer is gone...

I can dig that. It's just different strokes for different folks.

You've got me curious about the BBQ angle of it. How exactly does that work? Is there a grill part that I'm not seeing? Is it like a smoker?
Because that's a time consuming project I can get behind!!!! Smoking pork and brisket is an all day event a beer drinker can do easily. Low heat on the fire, good moisture, wood chips, plenty of charcoal, and at least a case of beer. Bam! Melt in your mouth meat!
In fact all this talk of pizza making and smoking has got me ready to fire the smoker up!!! :drinkup:

2low4NH
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
its a mix between a smoker and a BBQ its higher heat but still gives it the smokey flavor

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM

I think the outdoor fireplaces are a waist. Can you really get good heat out of them? I think it is more practical to have a firepit that everyone can sit all around it instead just in front of it. The ovens and fireplaces I think are more suited for LARGE properties with 750sqft plus patio's. Just my thought's, but I'll build whatever they want.:)

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I think the outdoor fireplaces are a waist. Can you really get good heat out of them? I think it is more practical to have a firepit that everyone can sit all around it instead just in front of it. The ovens and fireplaces I think are more suited for LARGE properties with 750sqft plus patio's. Just my thought's, but I'll build whatever they want.:)

I'll second that also!!! I'll never put a fireplace or pizza oven at my house just for that reason, only one side of heat. I'll stick with a nice big fire pit.
I'm torn, I love building custom fireplaces, yet I still can't justify spending the money for one. Guess I'll leave it up to the people who just like spending money because they can. And I'll be right there to take it. :dancing:

capelawncare.com
03-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I can dig that. It's just different strokes for different folks.

You've got me curious about the BBQ angle of it. How exactly does that work? Is there a grill part that I'm not seeing? Is it like a smoker?
Because that's a time consuming project I can get behind!!!! Smoking pork and brisket is an all day event a beer drinker can do easily. Low heat on the fire, good moisture, wood chips, plenty of charcoal, and at least a case of beer. Bam! Melt in your mouth meat!
In fact all this talk of pizza making and smoking has got me ready to fire the smoker up!!! :drinkup:

You cook at different temps for different things. Pizza is done at about 750 degrees, with a small flame in the oven.

Bread is done at 400 with no flame or coals, after the hearth has been mopped down lightly with water. The oven will stay hot for 7-10 hours after a good firing.

Grilling is done by placing a metal grill inside the oven. You can sear meat, or cook it as would on any grill this way. Over coals or flame.

And BBQ, works the same way. I have even seen rotiserrie's inside of ovens. as well as gaucho style racks for meat. You can close of a portion of your chimeny for more of smoker too.

I have even eaten steaks cooked right on the hot coals.

They are pretty versital

2low4NH
03-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I'll second that also!!! I'll never put a fireplace or pizza oven at my house just for that reason, only one side of heat. I'll stick with a nice big fire pit.
I'm torn, I love building custom fireplaces, yet I still can't justify spending the money for one. Guess I'll leave it up to the people who just like spending money because they can. And I'll be right there to take it. :dancing:

who says you can only have one side of heat on a fireplace? the only differnce between a fire pit and a fireplace is the chimney. you can have a 4 sided fireplace with the chimney supported on the corners. you cant really have an oven on it but you can have an open fireplace

Bru75
03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Fire pit + people sitting in a circle around it = smoke in somebody's face.
A properly designed fireplace will take the smoke up, up and away.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Fire pit + people sitting in a circle around it = smoke in somebody's face.
A properly designed fireplace will take the smoke up, up and away.

If you have a fireplace open on four sides you're gonna get the same result as a fire pit. Any crosswind will blow smoke in somebody's face. The only thing different is you're spending a bunch more money on a decorative top for a perfectly good fire pit.

I know not everyone will agree with my assessment, and I'm open to hear how your way will work better.

I guess I'm old fashioned and just like to keep it simple and not real flashy.

Bru75
03-21-2009, 01:49 PM
If you have a fireplace open on four sides you're gonna get the same result as a fire pit. Any crosswind will blow smoke in somebody's face. The only thing different is you're spending a bunch more money on a decorative top for a perfectly good fire pit.

I know not everyone will agree with my assessment, and I'm open to hear how your way will work better.

Spending more money is good if you're the guy building it!
That being said, I'm willing to build whatever the owner wants, I just believe that fireplaces are more apropriate for some projects.
As for the open fireplace, I'm kinda with you on that. I think 2low was just saying that you could do it that way.

billwlod
03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
A pizza oven would ad value and apeal to your home. A fire pit is a must but I prefer the cast iron pits that you can push off to the side and not waist the space in the hot summer season. I also agree that the stand up fire places are a waist of money and probably would get old fast becoming an expensive decoraition. Money that could have been spent on artificial turf or a wack of plants that would give more of a visual impact

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-21-2009, 02:12 PM
A pizza oven would ad value and apeal to your home. A fire pit is a must but I prefer the cast iron pits that you can push off to the side and not waist the space in the hot summer season. I also agree that the stand up fire places are a waist of money and probably would get old fast becoming an expensive decoraition. Money that could have been spent on artificial turf or a wack of plants that would give more of a visual impact

or a Waterfall:)

2low4NH
03-21-2009, 03:25 PM

a properly designed fireplace open on all sides or not causes an updraft. thats how all chimneys/fireplaces work. a slight crossdraft wont effect draft at all. strong winds will. but that will happen on any fireplace regardless if its open on all sides or not. around here they can be used year round even in the summer we have nights where it drops in to the 50's

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Spending more money is good if you're the guy building it!
That being said, I'm willing to build whatever the owner wants, I just believe that fireplaces are more apropriate for some projects.
As for the open fireplace, I'm kinda with you on that. I think 2low was just saying that you could do it that way.

I really couldn't agree more with you! If I'm the guy building it and you want to spend some serious cash to outdo your neighbor, then bring it on!!!!! I'll build the most elaborate thing money can buy!
I'm just saying, for my money I'll keep it simple. I'm not a flashy kind of guy. I like a nice patio with a nice size fire ring, add some friends, adult beverages, and you've got yourself a good time. No need to outdo the "Jones's"