PDA

View Full Version : Mulching around trees for HOA

StBalor
02-28-2009, 07:48 AM
I have an oppurtunity to bid on a job mulching around the trees for a HOA. There are a few hundred trees.
I have done plenty of mulching in my time but i am wondering how do i figure out how much mulch i need? Can someone who has experience doing this plese give me some help?
Trees have not been done in a few years. All trees will need to have an edge dug around them and grass pulled away from trees. Then Mulched.
I am thinking 2 guys 20 minutes per tree to Edge, weed and mulch. Does this sound about right?
Also, they want a seperate price on mulch and labor. Was told if i was to high on the mulch that they would get the mulch and i would supply the labor. If they supplied the mulch, my labor price would need to go up. My reason for thinking this is because instead of working from a truck, i now have to go and load their mulch from a set location every time i need mulch. Am i thinking right?

Smallaxe
02-28-2009, 08:21 AM
In what setting are these 100 trees?

Why is there a need to edge these trees? Is this a lawn setting? or a backyard apple orchard?

StBalor
02-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Median strip, between sidewalk and curb.

Smallaxe
02-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Let them buy the mulch, you just control delivery. Even have the driver spread it out for you, like they would a gravel driveway.

Smallaxe
02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Median strip, between sidewalk and curb.

Maybe a cement truck with the extension tube would be best there. :)

The mulch won't reach from tree to tree? Is this area going to be mowed in places after the mulching is complete?

StBalor
02-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Man smallaxe, you are confusing me. The trees are 20' apart all through the community. Along the sidewalks.

BrandonV
02-28-2009, 09:05 AM
first things first how much mulch will you need? how big is the circle? 3.14 x r^2, then run your mulch depth calc.

White Gardens
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
There's no way for use to try and calculate that amount of mulch without seeing it, even with pics it would be hard to guess.

It could take anywhere from 4 yards to 20.

Do yourself a favor and go rent a bed-edger for the job. It will make things much faster.

Also, ask the head of the HOA and see how much mulch they've been charged for in the past. Sometimes they have no problems giving up numbers like that.

LB1234
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
This almost sounds like something I would run, not walk from. Judging from what you are saying it sounds as if they are worried about one thing and one thing only, the price. The point about the mulch and them supplying it is utterly stupid. Most of us only mark up materials by 10% anyway, depending on how much it is it may not even account for much after you take into account your discount as a contractor..may be more.

Have you thought contracting our a mulch blowing company. No need to have mulch delivered, dumped, and spread. Basically comes in on a truck and there is no cleanup. That way you would only be responsible for bed prep.

As for the bed prep. Rent a bed shaper...but since you are planning on going around hundreds of trees I can gaurantee that you will need to break out the shovel due to the roots you are inevitablly going to hit.

As for the grass around the trees. Spray it a week to 10 days BEFORE you do the bed prep/mulch install. Simply mark the beds out in white marking paint and either spray yourself or contract out if you don't have a license. That way you don't have to worry about hauling out all that grass. good luck.:waving:

Smallaxe
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Man smallaxe, you are confusing me. The trees are 20' apart all through the community. Along the sidewalks.

Ok they are 20' apart, and in line. Now I got the picture. :)

My biggest concern is how do you keep it from becoming a mess? I would use above ground edging, even those short picket fence type things, to keep the mulch off the sidewalks and streets. Spray the borders a couple time a summer if you are mowing grass inbetween.

Farming out a mulch blower would be the most cost efficient method of placement. 3-5 feet out from the trunk. Area of a circle is "Pi R sq".
3.14 X radius squared.
[If that is correct] divide by 3 to get 4 inches of mulch.

Frontier-Lawn
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
go with a 3' circle around the tree and go get 3cf bags from JDL and your set.