PDA

View Full Version : pesticide spraying

kramer56
02-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know where to go to get info on obtaining a chemical spraying license in NY. I seem to be hearing alot of this and think it would be a great asset to my company grow.

turf hokie
02-28-2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/209.html

kramer56
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
thanks i will check them out.

Ric
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Turf Hokie

Does NY not have a time requirement to work under a licensed operator before sitting for the test???????

kramer56
02-28-2009, 09:49 AM
thats what i need to find out.

turf hokie
02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Turf Hokie

Does NY not have a time requirement to work under a licensed operator before sitting for the test???????

There is a process,

If you dont have 2 years experience or a 2 year college degree or a combination you will have to take a 30 hour course.

After the course you can take the test...

if you pass you then get an apprentice license, you can now spray under a certified applicator but not purchase RUP products.

After documenting one year of experience you can get a technician license, you can now spray on your own but still cannot purchase RUP.

After one year operating as a technician you can apply for your full certification by providing documentation that you now have 2 years experience.

I believe that to be 100% accurate as I just had one of my employees send in the final work after operating under me for 2 years.

I dont know of any "fasttrack methods" but the attachement above will get him the basics and phone # to Albany where he can ask them all the questions he will need answered.

Ric
02-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Turf Hokie

I like that better than Florida's 3 years of working under a CPO to sit for the CPO test. I only have to give 5 days unspecified training and I can turn a fool lose to spray under my license. Fact is he can be spraying before the state receives his application or sends it back a spray card. He only need a copy of the application. This is abused by many companies because of mass turn over.

What I like about NY is the 30 hours of class and a test before starting to work. However you never said if there are any more tests at the one or two year level. I have always heard NY, Calf, Mich, and Florida had real requirements to get a CPO.

Fast track is not easy or legal in Florida either. Documentation with the state is required and they keep the recorders. In my own case I had both the degree and the time. But part time employee time still counts. The Buddy system still works for building time.

turf hokie
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Turf Hokie

I like that better than Florida's 3 years of working under a CPO to sit for the CPO test. I only have to give 5 days unspecified training and I can turn a fool lose to spray under my license. Fact is he can be spraying before the state receives his application or sends it back a spray card. He only need a copy of the application. This is abused by many companies because of mass turn over.

What I like about NY is the 30 hours of class and a test before starting to work. However you never said if there are any more tests at the one or two year level. I have always heard NY, Calf, Mich, and Florida had real requirements to get a CPO.

Fast track is not easy or legal in Florida either. Documentation with the state is required and they keep the recorders. In my own case I had both the degree and the time. But part time employee time still counts. The Buddy system still works for building time.

No additional testing, but you do need to take 10 hours of additional classroom/recertification training during the 2 year period. I forgot to mention that is a requirement in order to recieve the full license.

And once you get the license you must renew every year and submit recertification credits every 3. Unless you have more than one category,which I do, you can renew every 3 years and submit credits every 3

I got my license 12 years ago, I hear the testing is a bit harder than when I took it.

Ric
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Turf Hokie

The Florida CPO Test is reported to be the hardest in the nation with Calf as the next hardest test. Florida tried to get a tech test law passed but failed. I would like to see a tech test requirement passed for the benefit of TG/CL customers as well as a few other marketing companies that don't care.

turf hokie
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Turf Hokie

The Florida CPO Test is reported to be the hardest in the nation with Calf as the next hardest test. Florida tried to get a tech test law passed but failed. I would like to see a tech test requirement passed for the benefit of TG/CL customers as well as a few other marketing companies that don't care.

I agree with you. It is too easy to put someone out in the field without any kind of testing or hands on except for a 5 minute how to push a spreader.

CT it difficult as well, I dont know about a tech test, but if and when you pass your written you have to go before the board and pass a verbal test, basically defend yourself and your knowledge and show that it is a working knowledge and not just some book memorization.