PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - 1/2 Zoysia, 1/2 Tall Fescue lawn

23cmcnitt23
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello-
I have a front yard that consists of 1/2 zoysia that is currently dormant and 1/2 tall fescue in the more shaded portion of the lawn. I used a lawn service the last few years and they did an OK job at controlling weeds but I was not satisfied in how they were handling a large area of the zoysia that was dying. Long story short, I self treated the area for a fungus late last summer and the pictures show what it currently looks like. I have decided to treat my lawn this year in hopes of saving money and having more control of what is happening to the lawn.

Here are the results of Soil Testing late Oct. 2008:
P=121 lbs/acre
K=243 lbs/acre
Ca=1832 lbs/acre
Mg=206 lbs/acre
Zn=16 lbs/acre
pH=5.5

It looks like weeds are slowly starting to come back now too. What is my next step to start self treatment/care of my lawn?

timturf
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Grass will need two differt fert programs!

What depth did you take your soil samples at?

Did you tell the soil lab what depth you took the samples at?

23cmcnitt23
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Their instructions were to dig to 4 inches but to be honest i probably only got 2.5-3 inches...i used a manual aeration tool to pull up the samples.

Barefoot James
02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Hate to sound like a jerk but.... bend over and pull them up - what do you got 10 weeds???

IRRITECH
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
The Last two years without water have been very tough on the zoysia. Right now you need to get a pre-emergent down for the summer weeds. I think that all you can get at HD or Lowes is a combination fert/pre-emerge. Go ahead and get it down and make sure it gets watered in ( put it down before it rains). Hit the weeds in the zoysia with a 3/4 rate of round up, if you don't want to pull them. (NOT in the fescue)

hmartin
03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
This lawn is never going to look right with tall fescue and zoysia. I would wait till spring, kill all the fescue, prep the soil, and lay zoysia sod on the lower part of the lawn. One type grass will simplify you fertilization program.

You can apply lime now to raise you PH. Shoot for something closer to 6.5.

One of the universities in Georgia probably has a website similar to this, http://msucares.com/lawn/lawn/index.html. This website can answer most of your questions.

The two weeds that you posted are henbit and carolina geranium. I would pull those few weeds. Something like Weed B Gone will rid your lawn of most broadleaf weeds.

timturf
03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Their instructions were to dig to 4 inches but to be honest i probably only got 2.5-3 inches...i used a manual aeration tool to pull up the samples.

Since you didn't fallow directions, the results and recommendations from the lab will be wrong!

When ever you do a soil test, make sure the lab knows the depth you took the soil samples.

Ph of 6.3 to 6.5 would be great

Zoysia will take the most shade of any warm season grass, so I also recommend having the lawn all Zoysia, or all turf type tall fescue.

I would recommend you get another soil test

Tim

timturf
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Since you didn't fallow directions, the results and recommendations from the lab will be wrong!
When ever you do a soil test, make sure the lab knows the depth you took the soil samples.

Ph of 6.3 to 6.5 would be great

Zoysia will take the most shade of any warm season grass, so I also recommend having the lawn all Zoysia, or all turf type tall fescue.

I would recommend you get another soil test

Tim

ted putnam
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
This lawn is never going to look right with tall fescue and zoysia. I would wait till spring, kill all the fescue, prep the soil, and lay zoysia sod on the lower part of the lawn. One type grass will simplify you fertilization program.

You can apply lime now to raise you PH. Shoot for something closer to 6.5.

One of the universities in Georgia probably has a website similar to this, http://msucares.com/lawn/lawn/index.html. This website can answer most of your questions.

The two weeds that you posted are henbit and carolina geranium. I would pull those few weeds. Something like Weed B Gone will rid your lawn of most broadleaf weeds.

Exactly what I have been thinking through this whole thread. Also, raise the canopy of those crape myrtles to allow a little more sunlight.

IRRITECH
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
If the zoysia was going to grow there it already would. The yard was probaly sodded zoysia originally. The crepes grew and no more zoysia. Ya'll don't be idiots. bermuda/fescue, and zoysia/fescue are very common combinations around here. Not neccessarily like the yard above.

ted putnam
03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
If the zoysia was going to grow there it already would. The yard was probaly sodded zoysia originally. The crepes grew and no more zoysia. Ya'll don't be idiots. bermuda/fescue, and zoysia/fescue are very common combinations around here. Not neccessarily like the yard above.

You're probably right. Can't see what's on the street side of the Crape's. No way of telling which way the house is positioned. I can see that the neighbor has zoysia all the way to the street. That by itself indicates that other than the 4 huge masses of crapes shading half of his front yard, there would normally be enough sunlight for zoysia. Are you to far north for St. Aug instead of the Fescue for the shaded area? You know, something that goes dormant like the zoysia but does better in the shade. I'm sorry, but I couldn't deal with a half green half dormant front yard. If it were me, I'd ditch the Crapes and plant zoysia. If you don't have a problem with a half/half lawn then you will need to overseed the Fescue in the Fall. It will need to be done every other year if not every year to maintain a thick stand. If you don't, it will thin and get clumpy like it is beginning to do.

quiet
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Can't see why the zoysia wouldn't overtake the fescue sooner or later. We've got plenty of crepes here, too, and I can't imagine them shading a zoysia lawn enough to inhibit growth. With your prolonged drought, maybe that's why it's taking a while.

Concentrate on a good fert program (1-0-1 ratio ferts), and a good watering program this year, and see if it doesn't just choke out the fescue. Clay soil? Water 1/2" on consecutive days!! Then let it dry out. MAKE THE ROOTS GO DOWN AND GET IT!

garydale
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
23cmcnitt23,
WHY WOULD YOU WANT A HALF & HALF LAWN?
I'm sorry, it just looks like hell.
Since you can not grow zoysia in shade I would kill off the zoysia and grow turf type tall fescue.

RigglePLC
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Good advice. Take your pick.

The ell-shaped dead spot: this is called square disease. Human caused. Is there a septic tank under the area? Is it a sandy spot that dries out in hot weather? Did you have a 57 Chevy up on blocks there? LOL! If you cannot find the cause, get a better, more experienced lawn company. The large corporations often have young guys with very little training or turf education.

IRRITECH
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Are you to far north for St. Aug instead of the Fescue for the shaded area? You know, something that goes dormant like the zoysia but does better in the shade.

Yes, St Aug will not survive the winters up here.

Typically we have either the front or the back fescue and the other ber/zoysia. Not a combo of both in the same area. The zoysia more than likely died due to lack of sun and the fescue was added to put something there.

Anyway there really isn't a perfect solution for the area without spending $$$ and without water ( no irrigation use for the last 2 years) , anything done will probably be a waste.

IRRITECH
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Good advice. Take your pick.

The ell-shaped dead spot: this is called square disease. Human caused. Is there a septic tank under the area?

Very well could be a septice tank under there. However, the zoysia around here has taken a beating because we have not been able to water for 2 years. I have several zoysia accounts that have large dead areas in them due to his lack of water. There may be rocks (lots of those around here ) and such under the soil that has caused shallow roots, but with proper H2O the grass does fine. Not being able to water has really hurt.

23cmcnitt23
04-19-2009, 11:36 AM
So 6 weeks later after putting down some Scott's turfbuilder with halts crabgrass preventer and spraying some Ortho Weed-B-Gone I think it is looking quite a bit better.

However, this weird yellow patch grew in the area that was brown in my original post. I don't believe it is a septic tank. However, the ground is unusual at that spot. It almost seems like there used to be a tree there a long time ago. Any thoughts?

garydale
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Probe the area with a steel rod,screw driver or something to see if you hit anything buried there.
We need closeup photos of grass to determone if its a different variety etc.