PDA

View Full Version : flower bed maintenence

cjohns05
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a customer that wants me to clean out there beds and remulch. they want to me put down preen but i was wondering if it would be better just to lay down fabric since the bed will be cleaned out.

RGM
02-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I do both on beds if I can the fabric is nice but weeds can still come up in the mulch on top of fabric.

Carolina Cuts
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
fabric sucks and so does Preen...
for sh1ts and giggles I loaded up my OWN flower beds (fabric from new construction) with a ton of Preen... guess what? Weeds still grew....

If the customer wants Preen, put it down.... but I never had any luck with it... OR fabric

cjohns05
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
i know the weeds will still grow with fabric but it is alot easier to pull out.

Horizon Lawn
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
use the preen it will prevent weeds that havent germinated from coming up but it will not get the ones that have already germinated. If you use a good mulch that will take care of alot of the weed issues. If you use cheap wood chip mulch then yes weeds will grow like crazy. If you use a good high quality mulch that has been turned properly you wont have as many weed issues with the oones that have germinated the mulch will kill them.

ooo
02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I think fabric is a waste under mulch, and preen....who knows

afg
03-01-2009, 03:35 AM
preen sucks.... snapshot.

Horizon Lawn
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
snapshot does work better than preen but it is alittle pricey.

Dreams To Designs
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Fabric is unnecessary under mulch or stone, unless it is a pathway. It will trap soil and seeds and weeds will grow on it, perennial weeds can still grow under it.

Preen will stop annual weed seeds from sprouting, but still cannot stop perennial weeds.

Snapshot has two chemicals in it that allows it to prevent annual weeds from sprouting but also kills most perennial weeds.

Proper bed preparation and sustainable, organic mulching practices will control the majority of weeds and continue to feed the soil as it decomposes.

Kirk

GracesLandscaping
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
fabric is a PITA in the long run... preen sucks...

robertsturf
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
If you plan on installing flowers do not install the weed mat. Also if you plan on mulching regularly do not install weed mat. It doesn't allow the mulch to decompose properly. We have a property we already removed 6" of mulch from because of it and we are going to have to do it again. At the same property around the trees we have installed the same amount of mulch for the last 4 years and do not have the problem, because they don't have weed mat.

Az Gardener
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Use the money budgeted for weed control and just plant so many flowers that the weeds can't compete. If the bed is too big to do this tell the customer they can't afford seasonal color they need to consider perennials and flowering shrubs with a much smaller area for seasonal color.

Think Green
03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Weed fabric harbors moisture at the undersurface of the material and reduces the release of natural gases from the soil. The natural process of mulch decomposition does not occur as needed to loosen soils so what benefit from the mulch is needed?. Fertilizers do not penetrate the fabric efficiently. As the moisure accumulates, it draws some or most shrubbery and flower roots toward the surface where they are tangled in the mesh of the fabric. As mulch is layered on the fabric, it will be a miracle until the 2-3 year mark, when weed seed matter blows in and roots in the decomposed top layer.
I have seen Bermuda growing on top of the fabric and nothing underneath it. Root rots and mulch rots are seen occassionally! We will use fabric as a means of erosion loss by adding it to slopes and then topping it with rocks. Pathways are excellent as the fabric keeps the materials on top in place,,,,except pea gravel!!!!and some mulches.
To answer the question of Preen!--------------------It really isn't efficient unless worked into the first 2-3 inches of the soil at the time of planting. Then you will want to cover that soil with 2-3 inches of mulch after that............ Once that barrier is established with watering , then don't walk on that bed, it will break the barrier.