PDA

View Full Version : anybody going to PLUS2009?

David Gretzmier
02-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I've gotten the PlanetChristmas.com email newsletter for around 16 months or so, and it looks like PLUS2009 will be a decent Christmas vendor/education show in Louisville,KY, the last weekend of July. It costs about 500-650 bucks for Pro's depending on when you register, and was wondering if anyone out there has gone or is planning to go.

I can drive to Louisville in a day, and I have a friend there that can put me up for a few nights, so basically I am looking at 900 bucks or so for the weekend for food and gas thrown in.

There will be vendors there with booths, and classes for installers and serious homeowners.

anybody know if it is worth it?

hotrod1965
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
PLUS is going to be more focussed on the home owners. I was invited as a vendor, but we are not going.

It will be a whole different outlook than how a pro installer looks at things. Most of the people there focus on getting the most lights they can on thier house, animation and blow molds... I don't think there really is a value for an installer to go.

they will have some cool classes on how to build some custom things and how to program some things, but that typically isn't the focus of a pro installer.

turf hokie
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont have any input other than I wont be going. Christmas Decor conference is around the same time.

David Gretzmier
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
It was my understanding from reading the emails I've gotten that this year they are trying to reach out to pro's. I agree they will have classes galore for homeowners. but they also seem to have a designated curriculum for installers as well.

I found out tonight I may be going to honduras during that particular week anyway. we'll see.

hotrod1965
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Now that I have read it a little closer... looks like Brad Finkle is teaching some classes.

David Gretzmier
03-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I know brad, He's been around awhile and has a few books out. knows his stuff.

hotrod1965
03-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure it's worth the $800 to go. Product wise, you are not going to see anything you haven't already seen before.
If I was fresh in the business, it would be worth the money to spend a couple days with Brad's training.

David Gretzmier
03-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I need classes in marketing, taking the business from 3 crews to 6, temp employee training, capitalizing land and buildings, and warehousing, Office management, etc. I think there are more than a few guys out there that are at my level and above, but probably not enough to show up at plus to warrant a class for experienced pro. Brads books and literature lends itself more to the beginner to where I am.

This is also one of the weaknesses of Holiday Bright lights and Brite Ideas. The training is geared towards the new guy and the guy that has been doing it a few years.

I'm sure Christmas Decor has advanced business expansion training, as training is what they are best at. Perhaps I wil happen across a DVD someday, but they guard those DVD's like gold.

turf hokie
03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm sure Christmas Decor has advanced business expansion training, as training is what they are best at. Perhaps I wil happen across a DVD someday, but they guard those DVD's like gold.

Yes they do, ....I am not there yet (may never be) but they do everything they can too help us all from day one to the guys that are doing 6 figures. But alot of that has to do with the fact that as we are successful so are they, just the way a franchise (anyone of them) is set up.

I am sure as the other guys businesses grow and they realize that there is a need they will try to fill it..??

David Gretzmier
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
You would think that. but the reality is most folks who do Christmas lights for all the franchises were doing something else first. And once you max out your current crews, be they lawn, landscape, or chemical guys, they rarely want to grow the Christmas side beyond what is comfortable for thier current trucks and employees.

I'm fairly unique in that it is my main business that I purchase trucks and hire folks for. Most of the guys I run into that only do this for a living are municipal and mall guys, not residential and business. And I only run into them at the Dallas markets where I look at new Christmas product. So although Christmas Decor may have some advanced business management training, simply by virture of being the oldest franchise out there, I'm really not holding my breath that Brite ideas or Holiday Bright Lights is going to go down that road. Mainly that there is not much demand for it, so I cannot see them offering it.

turf hokie
03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
That is the truth David, and at the same time it is a shame. I have had to expand my labor pool every year since my second season. I actually would prefer to have Christmas be my mainstay in many respects. I know not everyone views it as you and I do, I treat it as a seperate business and not as just an "add-on" or something to keep us busy.

There are not many companies out there that want to take it to the next level but the vendors that dont recognize the few that do and react to it, are doing the entire holiday business a diservice(sp?).

Those that take to the next level help break the learning curve for the rest of us.