PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk trucks?

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
What is everyone using here? I bought a Dodge Cummings Diesel with the hopes of using for many years in my business. I have had nothing but trouble with it and some major, MAJOR repairs in a short time. I know lots of people swear by Dodge and swear by Diesels but I am so FED UP. I am contemplating a Toyota Tundra because of the tow capacity. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Fred B
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
We personaly use DOdge one ton duallys and will be going to the 5500 series. I am not goiung to defend Dodge but you can always get a lemon in any manufacter. We have never had any major problems with our trucks that being said. One thing you may want to consider and it dosn't matter what brand you buy, and that is what the GVW of the truck is. It is always better to go on the high side rather than the low.

mowerbrad
02-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I've got a GMC 2500 diesel (6.5 diesel). I haven't had any major issues with the truck but anytime I have repairs that need to be done it always costs more than it would on a gas truck. But with that said I will only buy diesel trucks.

S.A.L.
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
What are your needs?
You've provided no useful information.

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
First sorry to hear that, New or used? Engine or 518/618 47re/48re transmission issues?? What generation 2nd or 3rd gen? of the Cummins ISB you running?. For me the Dodge & Cummins diesel has been the best truck combo I have run to date, we really happy:). Diesels are not for everyone or every business. Unless your driving over 25,000 miles a month, or towing over 10,000 lbs, I would say go gasoline; because the diesel choice, then becomes a personal preference or want more than necessity. We have beat this topic up in the truck & trailer forum for years now. Generally a diesel will cost less to operate, and save you money on fuel economy. I recently had some seat time in a buddies 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the I Force V8 crew cab. Compared to my Dodge Cummins it was a slug, cab was not as big either my legs were cramped,, Japs are small people:rolleyes:. It was nothing special, I really was expecting much more, the transmission was smooth shifting, of course I will find issues with anything gas too. I have the diesel bug, and it's nasty you don't want it:nono:.

However that does not help you, when these diesels are on, nothing gas can touch them towing or Power & torque. When their off or broke down, we hate them, and want gasoline. I have had my fair share of diesel trouble, over the last 20 years engine & tranny problems for both 6.2 & 6.5 GM diesels, 7.3L Fords. So IMO it's really up to you, and if you want to stick with diesel. Going back & forth does not help either,

What is everyone using here? I bought a Dodge Cummings Diesel with the hopes of using for many years in my business. I have had nothing but trouble with it and some major, MAJOR repairs in a short time. I know lots of people swear by Dodge and swear by Diesels but I am so FED UP. I am contemplating a Toyota Tundra because of the tow capacity. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

luckydooley
02-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I bought a brand new 08 Tundra 5.7 v8 couple weeks ago. I love it and would suggest one to anyone. I have had a lot of haters because I did not buy "american". On the other hand its almost like joining a club, I get waves from other tundra drivers, kinda like the motorcycle people do.

My Tundra has 10,600 lb tow capacity. Good Luck!

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
You purchased what you needed, and it works for you, the hate is directed at what your driving not you. you know what atheists say about gatherings of humans ie: clubs, church's or groups their for the weak minded.:rolleyes:

I bought a brand new 08 Tundra 5.7 v8 couple weeks ago. I love it and would suggest one to anyone. I have had a lot of haters because I did not buy "american". On the other hand its almost like joining a club, I get waves from other tundra drivers, kinda like the motorcycle people do.

Lawnut101
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I just bought my first Diesel 2 months ago. I have been very impressed with it so far. It makes a great truck for snow plowing. I also have a 5.4L gas, and I have no complaints with that either. I will probably mainly buy diesel from now on, but I'm not against gas.

luckydooley
02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
you know what atheists say about gatherings of humans ie: clubs, church's or groups their for the weak minded.:rolleyes:

See what I mean about the haters?

I cetainly didnt buy it to be part of a club or group, I was actually kinda suprised! However, I see nothing wrong with humans gathering, I dont think our race would have gotten this far if we hadn't.

FYS777
02-28-2009, 07:41 PM

what year is it? and what engine

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Yeah, well my '06 Dodge was mostly made in Mexico and the Toyota I am considering was built in the USA. So much for American vs. Foreign anymore!

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 08:32 PM
what year is it? and what engine

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 6 cyl. Cummings Turbo Diesel
purchased used in late 2007(my bad) with low miles (30k).
Bent drive shaft
Ball joints
computer issues regulating voltage so that my batteries basically blew up
valves
a bunch of other little minor annoyances
and the last straw was the transmission...

Beautiful truck. Had waited a long time to get exactly what I wanted. Planned to have it for a loooong time. Diesels last forever, right? Great on fuel. But paying for the truck AND forking over a couple thousand in repairs was not fun. Plus, the whole "Dodge experience" purchasing from a dealer SUCKED. They clearly just don't give a damn about the consumer any more.

I am sure I just got "one of those" but after the shitty way Dodge treated me when I bought the truck and the amount of problems I had in less than a year, there is no way I want to touch another Dodge! I really wanted to stick with Diesel too, if only stupid Toyota would get going on their Tundra Diesel!! :laugh:

Thanks for the replies though, it's cool to know what everyone else uses.

luckydooley
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, well my '06 Dodge was mostly made in Mexico and the Toyota I am considering was built in the USA. So much for American vs. Foreign anymore!

Exactly! We went through all this in a thread I started a couple weeks ago when I bought my Tundra.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=261460

Bottom line is Toyota trucks are made in America and many "domestic" trucks are made elsewhere. Never could pound it into some of these guys heads though. There defense "but the profits go back to Japan". My take, "Oh well! I provided jobs for American assemblers and at least somone is profiting. Better than buying a truck from a company that is not profiting, but rather being subsidized by my tax dollars." :confused:

Probably just started another sh!t storm.

capnsac
02-28-2009, 08:34 PM

I don't know if this has been said because I am just posting after reading that you want a Tundra and I immediately scream NOOO in my head. The gas mileage is horrible (to put it lightly) on those trucks, and gas is the ONE thing that can make or break your cost of business. Just my .02, stick with a diesel of some sort, albeit Dodge, Chevy, or Ford.

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't know if this has been said because I am just posting after reading that you want a Tundra and I immediately scream NOOO in my head. The gas mileage is horrible (to put it lightly) on those trucks, and gas is the ONE thing that can make or break your cost of business. Just my .02, stick with a diesel of some sort, albeit Dodge, Chevy, or Ford.

Yes! This is really something that I am pondering, because I just KNOW gas will be back up in the $4.00 range this summer. For awhile though Diesel was almost $1.00 more than gas, which even with my slightly better fuel economy was not working out.

delphied
02-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I just bought a Chevy 1500 with a gas V6 and 4x4. It will easily pull my 3000 lbs of mowers and trailer. It was made in America too. Buy what you want but dont expect a pat on the back for buying a foreign make.

FYS777
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Bent drive shaft
Ball joints
valves

Beautiful truck. Had waited a long time to get exactly what I wanted. Planned to have it for a loooong time. Diesels last forever, right? Great on fuel. But paying for the truck AND forking over a couple thousand in repairs was not fun. Plus, the whole "Dodge experience" purchasing from a dealer SUCKED. They clearly just don't give a damn about the consumer any more.

I am sure I just got "one of those" but after the shitty way Dodge treated me when I bought the truck and the amount of problems I had in less than a year, there is no way I want to touch another Dodge! I really wanted to stick with Diesel too, if only stupid Toyota would get going on their Tundra Diesel!! :laugh:

Bummer, sounds like some one had it jacked and had it chiped, then thrashed it for a year and then removed all that and sold it to you,
bent shaft and you didn't feel that when you drove on a test drive??

FYS777
02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
that should have still been under warranty, but if it had that other stuff on it probably why it doesn't have one, voids it. had an 05 and now an 07, awesome trucks,

MileHigh
02-28-2009, 08:54 PM
All I know is that my 04 PSD was made in Kentucky..

And that Tundra from San Antonio or wherever $purchase$ is going right back to Japan.

capnsac
02-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes! This is really something that I am pondering, because I just KNOW gas will be back up in the $4.00 range this summer. For awhile though Diesel was almost $1.00 more than gas, which even with my slightly better fuel economy was not working out.

Oh I don't think we will see that figure for a while yet. Maybe in 2011 or so, but it is going to hover in the $40-50 per barrel range for a long time. I just hope that gives us enough time to invent more fuel efficient cars and trucks so that we won't be under the thumbs of OPEC any longer. You can count on gas being around $1.90 on average diesel/unleaded (for my area)

Which means you can do twice the business for the same cost as last year, gotta love that :weightlifter:

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Bummer, sounds like some one had it jacked and had it chiped, then thrashed it for a year and then removed all that and sold it to you,
bent shaft and you didn't feel that when you drove on a test drive??

Found out later it definitely had a plow on it. Dodge replaced some parts to hide that fact. When I stopped taking it to Dodge for repairs was when I found out all sorts of things...I did not notice the bent shaft until maybe two weeks after I bought the thing. That WAS covered under warranty but it was an argument with Dodge. There was a whole bunch of other stuff they replaced before they would finally replace the drive shaft, had to go back and forth like 3 or 4 times before they were finally like "oh yeah the drive shaft is bent".

luckydooley
02-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Here we go again.

I just bought a Chevy 1500 with a gas V6 and 4x4. It will easily pull my 3000 lbs of mowers and trailer. It was made in America too. Buy what you want but dont expect a pat on the back for buying a foreign make.

Are you sure it was made in America? They are assembled at many plants across the world. I think the biggest one is in Canada. Anyway, I wasn't lookin for a pat on the back, thanks anyway.

All I know is that my 04 PSD was made in Kentucky..

And that Tundra from San Antonio or wherever $purchase$ is going right back to Japan.

Where does the $purchase$ from your domestic go? Oh yeah there is no profit, actually Im subsidizing your purchase with my taxes.:laugh: So now I am paying for my fiscally irresponsible neighbors mortgage, and your truck too! It just keeps getting better.:hammerhead:

FYS777
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Found out later it definitely had a plow on it. Dodge replaced some parts to hide that fact. When I stopped taking it to Dodge for repairs was when I found out all sorts of things...I did not notice the bent shaft until maybe two weeks after I bought the thing. That WAS covered under warranty but it was an argument with Dodge. There was a whole bunch of other stuff they replaced before they would finally replace the drive shaft, had to go back and forth like 3 or 4 times before they were finally like "oh yeah the drive shaft is bent".

Sorry to hear that, they should have come forth with that info, do you have any lawer friends sounds like a case to me,

Roger
02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Several posts have discussed weights being pulled. All new truck literature discusses the towing capacity, and how great the truck works for towing (as do some LS threads).

What the literature does not discuss is what weight limits can be stopped. It is one thing to be able to tow XXXX weight, but it can be another thing to stop truck and trailer. Yes, some trailers have breaks, but most single axle trailers do not and rely upon the truck brakes.

My 2003 F250 SD works just fine for towing my single axle trailer, loaded with mowers (ZTR, hand mowers), grass clippings, and other equipment. But, I learned last Summer it does not stop truck/trailer well in a panic situation. A small car suddenly made a decision to turn left on a 40mph road, at the base of a slope, two-lane state road. She didn't have time to put on turn signal, and found traffic coming in the opposite direction, leaving the lane blocked.

I was not close, and saw the situation developing. I thought I had plenty of length to stop. But, with full brake, the length was running out. Faced with the choice of a rear-end, or baling out on the right side, I took the right side. The consequences were not severe -- ran over a planter in a yard, and took out a mail box post. The front valence got torn up, but no other damage on my truck.

I was surprised to learn how little braking power I really had when needed. The ABS worked perfectly, and my wheels did not skid. When I talked with a friend of mine at an auto shop who deals with both autos and small trucks, he was not surprised -- he has seen the results of similar incidents in his body shop. He reminded me, "just because the towing levels are below ratings, does not mean you can stop truck/trailer in a panic."

Two weeks after this incident, my right rear caliper broke, tearing up the rotor and brake lines. The good news is that when it broke, I was in a controlled situation, and did not loose control because of no brakes. Was the breakage due to the panic stop? I don't know, but the proximity of the two events makes me wonder.

I'm sorry this is a bit OT, but several posts discussed towing with their trucks, and I am just adding an incident that my alert others. Towing capacity does not equate to stopping capacity.

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear that, they should have come forth with that info, do you have any lawer friends sounds like a case to me,

My wife is a lawyer, she's working on it. Dodge dealerships have been going out of business around here like crazy. There are really only two left. And the one I dealt with is closing within 6 months or so I hear.

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry this is a bit OT, but several posts discussed towing with their trucks, and I am just adding an incident that my alert others. Towing capacity does not equate to stopping capacity.

Thanks for sharing that, it IS something important to remember. What a close call, souds like you're one hell of a defensive driver! :)

LCPullman
02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I've heard of a few problems with the Cummins in the 03+ range, too tight of tolerances in the factory.

I personally think that the Duramax-Allison Combo is the best at present. But any of them can have problems.
I can't recommend the GM 6.5 though, constant electronic injection pump problems and cylinder heads that crack and start using coolant.

LCPullman
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I was surprised to learn how little braking power I really had when needed.

I found that out as well. We have a half ton, and I don't like pulling more that 1500-1800 pounds without trailer brakes.
Our 3/4 tons have much better brakes.

WH401
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Bent drive shaft
Ball joints
valves

First off, it's "Cummins"

Second,
What "valve" problems did you have?,
What were the "minor annoyances" you had?
and What problems did you have with the transmission?

Other than those things and the the battery regulation, it sounds like you just experienced the risk you take when buying a used vehicle.

WH401
02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I've heard of a few problems with the Cummins in the 03+ range, too tight of tolerances in the factory.

Enlighten us, please.

FYS777
02-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Enlighten us, please.

post #21 :usflag: check

WHIPPLE5.7
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Unless you are pulling 10,000+ lbs. around daily a gasser is way more cost effective. Thats not my opinion but its a fact that has been proven. Without the extreme pulling power of a diesel being needed they are just way too costly. My next truck will be a F-350 with the 5.4 V8. Its a real slug on power but truck itself is heavy duty and the cost savings vs. diesel truck is like $10,000. Right now I'm running a GM 1500 and 2500. They both have there downfalls but the repair cost haven't put me out that much and they are used pretty hard. I've heard of Dodges that go 400,000 miles and others that die at only 20,000. I've always liked GM better on a personal level but with Ford being the only company not financially screwed I know I'm going with them next myself.

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Just bought a '99 2wd F350 crew cab long bed with only 58k on it for a song. I'm not sure I trust Fords... but the price vs. value was too good to pass up. Danged thing better last me about a decade (with no drivetrain issues)...

Big Red Ferris
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
i have a diesel with 100000 on it 6.0 it had its problems @ 80-90k seams fine now but diesels are getting the pinch by the epa cat pulled there on road line off bc emi's, and from what ive heard detriot is putting urea pumps on the 2011 so the burn hotter thus marking less reliable and they took the sulf out the diesel and i personaly think our old diesels are gonna wear alot faster now your gonna see hotter temps from the exaust gases runin the older motors and your longgevity on these new diesels may not be the 200 k mark like the old 7.3 or 6.5

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
No wonder you left out the vital information:nono: This was a USED TRUCK you made it sound like it was new:rolleyes:

You purchased a used Dodge Cummins that was a plow truck:laugh: YOUR FAULT, add a chip or straight exhaust the Cummins will twist a driveshaft like a pretzel.

Add to the fact your wife is a lawyer, we have a winner

Would you take a used ZTR back to the dealer a complain like this??????????

Bent drive shaft
Ball joints
valves

quiet
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
~Think all of our properties are graded smooth as a pool table down here? Or is we jes' to stoopid to raze them deks cuz we is too bizzy drinking a beer, hootin' and hollerin' and shootin' at critters while we is mowin' to see them holes?~
--Quiet

I'm speechless! I've been quoted! A quote from one of my responses in a thread - from several years ago - is actually in someones signature line?

capnsac - I hope you took the quote in context!

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Kinda lonely driving a Tundra around, having someone wave made you get excited:) The Tundra will never have that sexy Cummins diesel rumble, that sucks the paint off your Tundra going buy.

No matter how you slice it, dice it, drink it with a chaser if you must. Toyota's world headquarters are not in the United States. Toyota has brought their factories to the USA to continue their propaganda, which you have bought. Toyota does hire US autoworkers to build your Tundra, to comfort guys like you. The majority of our deficit is owned buy Japan, China & Korea. Know you took part in that figure going up:) Sleep well:waving::drinkup:

See what I mean about the haters?

I cetainly didnt buy it to be part of a club or group, I was actually kinda suprised! However, I see nothing wrong with humans gathering, I dont think our race would have gotten this far if we hadn't.

WH401
02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
post #21 :usflag: check

That post has absolutely nothing to do with mine.

turf&snow98
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
simple... 3/4 ton trucks (Heavy duty brakes, HD rear, HD trans, HD suspention ) manual transmissions are great too because clutches are cheap and easy to replace, automatics burn out and are expensive to rebuild or repair. Gas engines are enough for the average person, v-8's pull trailers fine and push snow fine. Diesel....umm... seems like a lot of extra potential headaches for a couple more miles per gal and a little more pulling power... I like diesels, but i hate trucks being down for days/weeks followed by a hefty repair bill for those high dollar diesel parts.

luckydooley
02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Pitbull, just blow these guys off. I too made the mistake of buying a dodge. I bought a 2006 dodge caravan for my wife, instead of buying a toyota sienna, like my better judgement told me. She wanted to save a couple bucks. Bought it from a highly reputable local dodge dealer at the end of october 2006, it had about 16,000 miles on it, warranty, all that. Well long story short nothing but problems! We have less than 45,000miles on it now. Top end rebuilt twice, new brakes, power steering resevoir leaked, just to name a few of the problems. My wife drives it like a baby, so not her driving. Tried to trade it in, oops its only worth half what we paid for it! Oh well, lesson learned, well pay it off, trade it, and never buy another dodge again.

Kinda lonely driving a Tundra around, having someone wave made you get excited:) The Tundra will never have that sexy Cummins diesel rumble, that sucks the paint off your Tundra going buy.

No matter how you slice it, dice it, drink it with a chaser if you must. Toyota's world headquarters are not in the United States. Toyota has brought their factories to the USA to continue their propaganda, which you have bought. Toyota does hire US autoworkers to build your Tundra, to comfort guys like you. The majority of our deficit is owned buy Japan, China & Korea. Know you took part in that figure going up:) Sleep well:waving::drinkup:

Dude give it up and get a life! You have somthing wrong with you if you find your cummins rumble sexy. Your not as smart as you think you are, and must be the lonely one to get on here constantly preaching about how smart you are while belittling everyone else. The way you act on here Im sure real life friends are somthing your a little short on.

Im sure you blame my purchase of a toyota in february of 2009 is the sole cause of the big three bankruptcy, china owning our country, and the collapse of our economic system. I on the other hand would lean to believe china owns so much of our country because liberals keep printing and spending money like theres no tomorrow. You can thank Obama for bumping that number up oh... $800 billion or whatever his new porkulus bill amounted to, where do you think that money came from. Same with big three auto bailouts, china pays for those too.... educate yourself man

No matter how you slice it, dice it, drink it with a chaser if you must. Your dodge sucks, and if left to their own devices, with NO bailout, will be bankrupt and out of business by the close of 2009.

FYS777
02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
That post has absolutely nothing to do with mine.

sorry ---------

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Dodge Carvan was you "dodge" thats a truck too right:rolleyes: Yes I agree with you on that purchase should have went with the Sienna. You talk about your dodge carvan like it's a truck.

Real trucks have nosparkplugs:dizzy:

Pitbull, just blow these guys off. I too made the mistake of buying a dodge. I bought a 2006 dodge caravan for my wife, instead of buying a toyota sienna, like my better judgement told me. She wanted to save a couple bucks. Bought it from a highly reputable local dodge dealer at the end of october 2006, it had about 16,000 miles on it, warranty, all that. Well long story short nothing but problems! We have less than 45,000miles on it now. Top end rebuilt twice, new brakes, power steering resevoir leaked, just to name a few of the problems. My wife drives it like a baby, so not her driving. Tried to trade it in, oops its only worth half what we paid for it! Oh well, lesson learned, well pay it off, trade it, and never buy another dodge again.

Dude give it up and get a life! You have somthing wrong with you if you find your cummins rumble sexy. Your not as smart as you think you are, and must be the lonely one to get on here constantly preaching about how smart you are while belittling everyone else. The way you act on here Im sure real life friends are somthing your a little short on.

Im sure you blame my purchase of a toyota in february of 2009 is the sole cause of the big three bankruptcy, china owning our country, and the collapse of our economic system. I on the other hand would lean to believe china owns so much of our country because liberals keep printing and spending money like theres no tomorrow. You can thank Obama for bumping that number up oh... $800 billion or whatever his new porkulus bill amounted to, where do you think that money came from. Same with big three auto bailouts, china pays for those too.... educate yourself man

No matter how you slice it, dice it, drink it with a chaser if you must. Your dodge sucks, and if left to their own devices, with NO bailout, will be bankrupt and out of business by the close of 2009.

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
No wonder you left out the vital information:nono: This was a USED TRUCK you made it sound like it was new:rolleyes:

You purchased a used Dodge Cummins that was a plow truck:laugh: YOUR FAULT, add a chip or straight exhaust the Cummins will twist a driveshaft like a pretzel.

Add to the fact your wife is a lawyer, we have a winner

Would you take a used ZTR back to the dealer a complain like this??????????

I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was anything it wasn't. I thought I was more protected buying it from a dealer. Also, buying from a dealer gives me protections under lemon law. Unfortunately, they hid things and took things off the truck to conceal the fact that it had been used as a tow truck. I totally take responsibility for it being MY FAULT. I should have just bought the Tundra I was going to buy last year instead of getting all giddy about the Diesel truck that would "last me forever". Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas all go forever, it's just too bad they haven't made any solid Diesel work trucks. The Tundra seems to come the closest. The Titan is also pretty good. The Ridgeline is pretty, but not all that useful as a serious work truck.

Yes, I am a *winner* for having a wife that is a lawyer. She's been a big help to me in starting this venture. :)

FYS777
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I think pitbull started this on purpose, happen between you guys every time some one ask something about a truck, good grief. not your fault pit they have done this on other post, anything about trucks gets there dander up. always ends up the same way, arguing, my trucks better bigger than your truck, nananana. no my truck is, no no mine,:laugh::laugh::laugh::usflag:

Pitbullawns
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I think pitbull started this on purpose, happen between you guys every time some one ask something about a truck, good grief.

I swear I didn't! I didn't realize I would be causing trouble. Should have suspected though...

FYS777
02-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I swear I didn't! I didn't realize I would be causing trouble. Should have suspected though...

I think its that time of year were most are getting cabin fever or something like that, the wife is telling them get out of the house and go to work or something like that,:laugh::laugh:

LCPullman
02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Enlighten us, please.

Hmm, I know one guy, engine started knocking terribly, loss of power. Had to replace all the injectors and there were some major components in the valvetrain too. That was only 100,000 miles on the engine compared with over 300,000 miles with no problems on that guys older cummins.
Another guy wound up with a whole new engine because of the same problem, but I don't know the details on that one.
I don't think maintenance was a problem in either case.
I was told that these weren't entirely isolated cases either.

nosparkplugs
02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Get you a Terota Tunder :) I have been hoofing to much diesel fumes over the last 20 years. Was the Dodge Cummins lemon you purchased a Plow or Tow Truck, it's changed again:confused:

I wasn't trying to make it sound like it was anything it wasn't. I thought I was more protected buying it from a dealer. Also, buying from a dealer gives me protections under lemon law. Unfortunately, they hid things and took things off the truck to conceal the fact that it had been used as a tow truck. I totally take responsibility for it being MY FAULT. I should have just bought the Tundra I was going to buy last year instead of getting all giddy about the Diesel truck that would "last me forever". Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas all go forever, it's just too bad they haven't made any solid Diesel work trucks. The Tundra seems to come the closest. The Titan is also pretty good. The Ridgeline is pretty, but not all that useful as a serious work truck.

Yes, I am a *winner* for having a wife that is a lawyer. She's been a big help to me in starting this venture. :)

David Haggerty
03-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I looked and looked at an Isuzu cabover when shopping for a new truck. With a landscaper bed and the automatic Asin (not asian) transmission they're a nice package.
It was a little small for my needs.

ashelton
03-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I have a Tundra with the big I Force V-8, Crew Cab. I absolutely love the truck, however the bed is not made for anything of substance. I have owned chevy's all my life, and I hate to say it, but they don't compare to my Toyota. I have also heard that Toyota is working on a Diesel, don't know if it is true, but it would be great if they did.

delphied
03-01-2009, 07:45 AM
I looked and looked at an Isuzu cabover when shopping for a new truck. With a landscaper bed and the automatic Asin (not asian) transmission they're a nice package.
It was a little small for my needs.

That is funny in a way. I live about 3 miles from the Chevy Heavy duty truck plant . They actually build that Isuzu at that Chevy plant here in Flint. Im sure they build the GM version along with it on the same line.

Pitbullawns
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Get you a Terota Tunder :) I have been hoofing to much diesel fumes over the last 20 years. Was the Dodge Cummins lemon you purchased a Plow or Tow Truck, it's changed again:confused:

Duh, yeah, I wrote "tow" I meant "plow" truck. God help me, maybe it did both!

WH401
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Hmm, I know one guy, engine started knocking terribly, loss of power. Had to replace all the injectors and there were some major components in the valvetrain too. That was only 100,000 miles on the engine compared with over 300,000 miles with no problems on that guys older cummins.
Another guy wound up with a whole new engine because of the same problem, but I don't know the details on that one.
I don't think maintenance was a problem in either case.
I was told that these weren't entirely isolated cases either.

I'll give you that one, a leaking injector here and there has been a minor annoyance on the common rails. But, there few and far between compared to say the problems the 6.0 had.

S.A.L.
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
My next truck will be a F-350 with the 5.4 V8. Its a real slug on power....

Go with the V10. It gets better mileage in the Superdutys then the V8. The V8 has to work too hard compared to the V10 which results in more fuel used.
Check out the club...http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/820985-what-are-the-advantages-to-a-v10-over-a-v8.html

:weightlifter:

GravelyGuy
03-01-2009, 04:16 PM

WTF are you talking about? I was getting over 20 MPG highway consistently before I switched over to heavy Toyo M/T tires. I posted a thread a while back to prove it. I can dig it up if you would like. Loving my Tundra, strong engine:drinkup:

FYS777
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
WTF are you talking about? I was getting over 20 MPG highway consistently before I switched over to heavy Toyo M/T tires. I posted a thread a while back to prove it. I can dig it up if you would like. Loving my Tundra, strong engine:drinkup:

I get 19.5 highway with my cummins quad cab, 13 in town pulling 16 foot trailor, with equip.

GravelyGuy
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
We won't discuss my highway mileage with trailer, haha. City with trailer isn't bad though.

South Florida Lawns
03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I was gonna take out a big loan on an 06 mega cab and make it fast. But now I just want a plain work truck in the late 90's with an manual trans. a real non BS truck. I don't think I can go wrong with a truck like that for around 7k. I also think it would be a good platform to build the engine up. I want at least a lil bit of power to pull away from mustang gts, and soccer moms in SS trail blazers :laugh:

capnsac
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM

We won't discuss my highway mileage with trailer, haha. City with trailer isn't bad though.

How does that make any sense?

GravelyGuy
03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Mileage at 70 on the interstate with trailer is pretty bad. I was referring to unloaded before.

capnsac
03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Mileage at 70 on the interstate with trailer is pretty bad. I was referring to unloaded before.

Oh so we drive our trucks around unloaded to the jobsite?

FYS777
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
He did kinda tell on himself didn't he??

capnsac
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2009f150/ Watch the durability portion of this video. It will make you think twice about the tundra

CrystalCreek
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.fordvehicles.com/2009f150/ Watch the durability portion of this video. It will make you think twice about the tundra

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I thought that Toyota was going to loss it's bed. Since everone turned this thread into a pizzing match, I'll join in. I love my '04 F350 PSD. Has never let me down. :weightlifter:

To the original poster....I am sorry to hear how Dodge screwed you over. It sounds like they knew the truck was trashed, changed some simple parts, and sold it to an unknowing consumer. It could have happened to anyone here. All dealers do this, but this is the second case of a dodge dealer doing it. The other one I know of was my brother with his cummins. Sorry to say, but this is one family that may never drive the cummins again. Good luck with your truck.

GravelyGuy
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Not sure what you mean by this, anyways, what gas truck does get good mileage towing heavy loads at highway speed? I get above average mileage towing city which is almost all I do anyways.

Also, frame flex is not a bad thing when hauling/towing heavy loads. Boxed frame=marketing hype. Why aren't the Ford 3/4 ton+ boxed?

capnsac
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I thought that Toyota was going to loss it's bed. Since everone turned this thread into a pizzing match, I'll join in. I love my '04 F350 PSD. Has never let me down. :weightlifter:

'05 F-350 PSD owner right here, loving every mile in it!

Pitbullawns
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

To the original poster....I am sorry to hear how Dodge screwed you over. It sounds like they knew the truck was trashed, changed some simple parts, and sold it to an unknowing consumer. It could have happened to anyone here. All dealers do this, but this is the second case of a dodge dealer doing it. The other one I know of was my brother with his cummins. Sorry to say, but this is one family that may never drive the cummins again. Good luck with your truck.

Thanks man! Sorry to hear about your brother. Are you driving a Powerstroke? I have had good luck with those before. Was considering that as well or the GMC Duramax, I have a good friend who swears by them, he tows all sorts of crazy things and has never had an issue. Sad about Dodge, I have always liked them, but after this experience I wouldn't go near another one, too many other good options out there!

FYS777
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Not sure what you mean by this, anyways, what gas truck does get good mileage towing heavy loads at highway speed? I get above average mileage towing city which is almost all I do anyways.

about going empty with trailor,

Lakewlc
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

that TOYota was rough to watch. :usflag:

CrystalCreek
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks man! Sorry to hear about your brother. Are you driving a Powerstroke? I have had good luck with those before. Was considering that as well or the GMC Duramax, I have a good friend who swears by them, he tows all sorts of crazy things and has never had an issue. Sad about Dodge, I have always liked them, but after this experience I wouldn't go near another one, too many other good options out there!

Ahhhh, Dont worry, both me and my brother are now ford men. But he want for the 5.4. I am in a 6.0 Powerstroke. I too, have the diesel bug. I have heavily modified the engine. It is a 6.0. I did the headstuds and EGR delete as well as some things that I keep seceret. I can tow a house at nascar speeds:laugh: All three make good trucks. I would personal buy a chevy right now. There diesel has the least changes this year. I would give the ford 3 years. The new scorpion engine comes out in '10. Dodge has a pretty good foundation with the 6.7, but they too are having problems. Its a crap shoot. Like I said, the older diesels are the best(pre-emissions). The auto makers will figure out the new diesels with time. The world needs big iron to keep things moving.

Now, If you can keep a seceret and promise not to tell NoSparkPlugs, I would buy a ford with the V10 in it. I cant see spending $10000 grand on a diesel motor. The V10 is an awesome motor, gets about 14 to the gallon, and is a lot cheaper to run then the diesels. Oh,,, they also have plenty of power. I love my diesel, but I think it will be my last if the auto makers do not figure the new ones out. Good luck.

brandon9996
03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Ive had 3 powerstrokes so far and now ive an 06 6.0 Powerstroke Fx4 Lariat for my work truck and an 08 GMC All Terrain Z71 for my personal truck. My first truck was an 2005 F-250 Harley Davidson 4x4 and my second one was a 2008 F-250 Harley Davidson which i just sold last month. I got to admit i really like the 6.0's