PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall replacement

tadpole
02-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I am usually posting over in the Pond section, but I need to ask for assistance from all of you Hardscape gurus.

I will be starting a natural pond restoration shortly. Part of this project involves replacing an existing wooden bulkhead/retaining wall that measures 80' x 4'. I plan on using fairly large ledge rock installed in a typical stagger step in order to get a natural look. My question is how do I figure approximate tonnage needed. It will be limestone ledgerock from SEMCO. I, so far, been given figures ranging from 8 tons to 45 tons. What can you guys offer in advise? All help greatly appreciated.

stonebender
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Limestone weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 lb per cubic foot. You have 4 X 80=320 square feet of wall face. If your stones are 1 foot deep that's 320 cubic feet X 160lbs= 51,200lbs or 25.6 tons. If your stones are 2 feet deep you can plan on 51.2 tons and so on. There will be some variances of course with the limestone being natural and not cut to an exact depth and gaps in between the stones. Just keep in mind 160 lbs per cubic foot and adjust based on how deep your stones will be on average.

tadpole
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks stonebender! Having the basic data on a material does help simplify and more accurately estimate.