PDA

View Full Version : Shrub Trimming

Lawn_Enforcement
03-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Got a question about shrub trimming..... I have done it before now were at March 1 and weather in Ky is extremely unpreditable theres a trace amount of snow on the ground but the day before thunderstorms and in the 60's. My question Is trimming shrubbery like boxwoods, taxis, and or hollys to name a few bad idea to trim in these unpredictable weather changes. I would guess its ok since there very hardy and an evergreen?

TScapes
03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Depends on how much you are planning on taking off. Boxwoods could get burnt if you take off too much. Hollies are much more responsive to harder pruning and actually respond well to it, especially rejuvenative pruning. Worst case is that you would have some tip burn and have to prune it out once the new flush of growth happens.

Just don't prune when it's below 32 degrees or before a hard freeze.

lawnpro724
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't do any major trimming or pruning until the temps are staying above freezing doing so will cause the plant undo stress.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I would think it would be ok to trim them up if you don't plan on taking off too much. Its supposed to be getting into the 70s here for highs soon and 40s for lows. I plan to trim up some bushes at a cleanup in a week or so and I think it will be just fine so long as I don't take of a whole lot.

Isobel
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Don't do any major trimming or pruning until the temps are staying above freezing doing so will cause the plant undo stress.

how is pruning now causing undue stress?