PDA

View Full Version : Water features....

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Went to a sustainable living landscape seminar at the Fort Collins senior center. The last couple were these new age Buddhist types with reversed roles from Boulder. He had perfected that wussy NPR voice and even started the seminar with a flute. She was a loud strongly opinionated NE lawyer turned landscaper. Her accreditation's were that she had studied Tibetan Buddhism. I have spent a career fighting these types. Their lecture was on moving beyond sustainability. The thing I found so offensive though was this emphasis on water features. I blasted the couple in the survey at the end so I hope they read it. Other than that the booths were neat. Met the local earthworm man. If I can get enough space I may start up an earthworm farm again. The local pawn shop is selling a pepper roaster. Seems perfect for separating the worm from the castings. Used the worms to eat all his trash. Also some guy here has created a method to turn pine slash into fertilizer. CSU can't figure out how it works but say his slash is excellent fertilizer.

AI Inc
03-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Dosnt it have a real high PH?Pines are very acidic

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Dosnt it have a real high PH?Pines are very acidic

I'll find the article but the soils here are alkaline so it is a benefit.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Here is the article

http://smallwoodnews.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3183

AI Inc
03-01-2009, 08:15 AM
In NH , that stuff is sent to a wood fired electrical power plant. We also have one that burns 90%constrcution debris. Changed from slash to debris shortly after Mass made it ilegal to dump any constrcution debris in a landfill anywhere in Mass.

hoskm01
03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey Pete. We presented last year as a part of a series at the Senior Center. Talked about irrigation and conservation for two hours. Not a bad gig.

DanaMac
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey Pete. We presented last year as a part of a series at the Senior Center. Talked about irrigation and conservation for two hours. Not a bad gig.

The good thing is, you can go back and give the same presentation again because they won't remember the first one :laugh:

hoskm01
03-01-2009, 09:53 AM
The good thing is, you can go back and give the same presentation again because they won't remember the first one :laugh:
At least half the crowd was glossed over. A few actually knew what a sprinkler was, and we sold some service and an install, so it was worth it I suppose.

ARGOS
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
The last couple were these new age Buddhist types with reversed roles from Boulder. He had perfected that wussy NPR voice and even started the seminar with a flute.

Thank you for starting my day with a hardy laugh.

DanaMac
03-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Thank you for starting my day with a hardy laugh.

I liked it too. I may be a tree hugging liberal, but no way am I a new age, kumbaya, flute playing wussy. Gotta get in harmony with the earth and sun and moon. Gotta have a balance of beer, booze, boarding, and saving the animals and trees. Damn patchouli smelling hippies.

Mike Leary
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
The last couple were these new age Buddhist types with reversed roles from Boulder.

When I lived up there, the locals pronounced it, "bowldarr".

DanaMac
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
When I lived up there, the locals pronounced it, "bowldarr".

It is The People's Republic of Boulder.

hoskm01
03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
It is The People's Republic of Boulder.
You have to have a remote to get the gate open.

DanaMac
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Weird city. Very expensive to live.

I threw up out my buddie's 5th floor dorm window in the early 90s while visting Boulder :) Just thought I let you all know. Nothing like straight tequila.

ARGOS
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
NPR and Fox News are both part of the evil empire.

Mike Leary
03-01-2009, 11:44 AM

I don't think we'll look there for a KOA when we come north. :dizzy:

Kiril
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Their lecture was on moving beyond sustainability. The thing I found so offensive though was this emphasis on water features.

......... Details?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
......... Details?

Lots of running water in streams. Waterfalls over rocks. One job was huge water pools with narrow pathways.

Mike Leary
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Lots of running water in streams. Waterfalls over rocks. One job was huge water pools with narrow pathways.

Hmmm, other than aestetics and cooling,was there a reason to waste water and power for pumps?

hoskm01
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Hmmm, other than aestetics and cooling,was there a reason to waste water and power for pumps?
Hardly does much for cooling, lest you run it over a set of fins and a fan through it too!

Mike Leary
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Hardly does much for cooling, lest you run it over a set of fins and a fan through it too!

Waterfalls provide some cooling, but the trans evaporation is not a viable trade-off.