PDA

View Full Version : Northern Illinois fertilizing

lalorslawncare
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I have owned a small family LC company for about ten years now. I have provided full service maintence including fert and weed control to maintence customers. I currently have about 22 fert accounts using about a ton of product per application. I have previously used lesco spreader and synergy sprayer to do applications. however recently I had a minor back injury and am nervous about pushing fertilizer spreader over larger properties some are 1+ acres. I have a line on a used perma green magnum. I would like to know opinions on these machines and possibly some marketing tecniques to increase client base to justify purchase of this machine. And yes I am insured and licensed for pesticide application Thanks

rcreech
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I have owned a small family LC company for about ten years now. I have provided full service maintence including fert and weed control to maintence customers. I currently have about 22 fert accounts using about a ton of product per application. I have previously used lesco spreader and synergy sprayer to do applications. however recently I had a minor back injury and am nervous about pushing fertilizer spreader over larger properties some are 1+ acres. I have a line on a used perma green magnum. I would like to know opinions on these machines and possibly some marketing tecniques to increase client base to justify purchase of this machine. And yes I am insured and licensed for pesticide application Thanks

Do you have your pest license???? :laugh:

It doesn't take much to justify a ride on machine in my mind!

Why do you only have 22 customers after 10 years?

Guess that doesn't matter, but if you have a ride on you can grow like gang busters!

The PG magnum is a great machine, expecially for smaller lawns (under an acrs).

Good Luck!

lalorslawncare
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
yes I have pesticide license
I only offered applications to full season maintence customers (mowing,cleanup, snow removal) previously I have about 70 of these and I am a solo operation looking to slowly expand.
What marketing would you recommend.
thanks for the help

rcreech
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
yes I have pesticide license
I only offered applications to full season maintence customers (mowing,cleanup, snow removal) previously I have about 70 of these and I am a solo operation looking to slowly expand.
What marketing would you recommend.
thanks for the help

I was just kidding about the license. Didn't you see my little laughy guy? :laugh:

I like post cards myself...but I am not sure there is a silver bullet. As everyone always says referrals are the best and cheapest way to pick up business.

Good Luck...but I would think hard about picking up a ride on! Makes the work fun ad easy, and most of all-effecient!!!

Good Luck!

mngrassguy
03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I hurt my back/shoulder a few years ago and just hired a temp to ride with me for 3 months and push my spreader while I sprayed. With only 22 accounts you should only need someone a couple of times a month.

JRCO makes a nice spreader that fits on most ZTR's.

Keep in mind your still going to have to lift all those 50# bags. If you lift correctly, it will be the twisting that'll get ya.

lalorslawncare
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Thumbs UpThumbs Upactually i hurt my back planting flower bulb.. lost feeling in my toes for 3 months. chiropractor has put me back together though.
As far as spreader for z turn thats great but I also need to spray and I would think one of those jrco spreaders would be hard to operate, and calibrate due to speed variation of zturn.
I had some post cards printed at vista prints last week should be here tommorow. Im going to distribute them around areas I already service Ill see how it goes. I just talked to anouther LCO that I know that does not do applications he reffers all work to ChemLawn trugreen. He just told me that he will be reffering to me now. hope it works out well:Thumbs Up