PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a fireplace...

JimmyStew
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Not a big market for these things in my neck of the woods, but I think I'd like to try my hand at one for my house. Any advice you'd like to share during the planning stage? Any good sources for info on the web or in print. I'm thinking that I don't want a huge structure, but probably a little more than just an open fire pit. All suggestions are welcome....

Bru75
03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
You can do this a couple of different ways, depending on what you want to build. You could build the internal parts with block the same as if it were an inside fireplace, or buy an insert or kit so you don't have to worry about measurements, and cover that with your material of choice.
If you build from scratch look in masonry books or talk to a mason for details on the size and shape of the firebox, smoke shelf, smoke chamber, flue size, etc.
If you want to spend the money, there is a company called Fire Rock that sells a kit containing all the block you need to build the internal fireplace parts and chimney, you then cover it with whatever you like. There is also another company that sells a similar system, but I can't think of their name.
Probably a good idea to check with your building dept. before you start, also.

capelawncare.com
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Check out superior clay's website: http://www.superiorclay.com/

Click on rumford fireplace. They are pretty simple to install yourself.