PDA

View Full Version : Subbing out your shrubbery trimming?

Think Green
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I have responded to other questions about this topic for some time on this site and in the field. I have struggled with the notion of another competitor performing the service of pruning or shearing our prized efforts. What I am having trouble with is the fact that we have put many years of blood,sweat, and tears into our customers shrubbery accounts. Last month before our enormous ice storm, a competitor approached us with this hair-brained notion to offer us his services of performing our trimming and mulching for my customers. He obtained a list of all the licensed LCO's in my area and called us each with his sales speech. What is funny, is that he spent most days last summer, while the whole lot of us were out busting our hump in the heat, while he sat in a quick shop soaking up their a/c. He always replied, "That he was taking a break and resting!" With clean clothes in 115 degree weather was at best..........a laugh! He told us that he is hiring a crew of 4 men whom will do all the work and he will oversee their efforts. He wants to bid the work out and bill us for the work. All we have to do is provide him with a list of names, addresses, and he will do the work as requested by us......!?!?!?
I will go on to add that he has been in the business a little less than 8 years, and hasn't been able to keep employees or accounts much over a year.
He quit doing leaf cleanups this season because of the fuel prices and dumping fees......................Their is just something that chapps my @#$ about this guy.
My question is----do you or would you attempt to allow someone to come in like a snake in the grass, with access to your customers names and addresses to slither into their good graces?
I told him that we have always taken care of our clients with pride and will continue to do so unless something horrific happens to me or my partner.
Shrubbery maintenance is an art an takes some precision and not just hacking on the foliage. I told him that if myself or my partner isn't on the lawn at the time of the cutting, then their isn't going to be anyone else doing it. How am I to know that his so-called employees are qualified to prune or trim multi-thousand dollar shrubbery and ornamental trees.?

Does everyone see my point???????????

I have been in this market for quite some time now, and sometimes a person will strike me wrong! But in the same token will spark an interest in their idea.
I always keep in the back of my mind that something thought of today has already been thought of before--the work of today has been done yesterday, and the work done tomorrow has already been done last week..........it isn't going to change.
Can someone whom is already doing this or has outsouced your services respond. I'm not considering his offer but would like to inquire for the sake of the business aspect of these types of LCO's who think they have the million dollar offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cod8825
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Think Green:

I will somewhat answer your question. The bulk of my business is subcontract work in that I do the Lawn Applications for companies that do not want to do it themselves. I treat their properties as my own. The reason that most of the people go with me is that they say they trust me and have a good "feeling about this" I suggest to people that it is only beneficial to sub out if you can't hire the manpower or equipment resources to do a job right. This guy is a snake period. Don't give him the time of day also don't give to somebody your prized possession if your good at prunning then absolutely don't sub it to anybody period. Even if someday I wanted to mow lawns their would not be a single company that would give me work because that is their bread and butter and what they are very good at. I hope this helps you out.

Matt