PDA

View Full Version : Bored and antsy

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I am so bored and antsy to start working again. I have a list of things to do before we work again, but I can't motivate myself to get them done. Nothing is pushing me right now. I'm not normally this bad. Usually I'm pretty self motivating. Not sure if I'm just too comfy and content, or bored with the business. I've actually been happy hanging out at the house, cooking, and doing some home improvement projects. But then I feel guilty when it's warm and sunny out, and I'm staying inside.

Might need Peter to push me more towards the water conservation aspect. Maybe we can meet up again when you're here full time. Or hire you as a consultant. :)

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Bake some bread :)

AI Inc
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I do better under pressure, when there are 45 phone calls I try to return them all, When there are 4 I dont even want to retreive them.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Bake some bread :)

Yesterday I made a big pot of sauce and then lasagna with it. Left overs for a few days!! Took 6 hours of cooking and simmering the sauce. Fresh garlic bread. Mmmmm.....

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I do better under pressure, when there are 45 phone calls I try to return them all, When there are 4 I dont even want to retreive them.

I am the same way. I like to work when there is work to be done. And play when there is no or little work.

AI Inc
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Yesterday I made a big pot of sauce and then lasagna with it. Left overs for a few days!! Took 6 hours of cooking and simmering the sauce. Fresh garlic bread. Mmmmm.....

Joey , um I mean boots thinks sauce is supposed to come from a jar. And to think I respect his opinion on irrigation matters.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Homeade sauce is great, but I still get the coupon freebies. Cans and jars do keep, you know.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Homeade sauce is great, but I still get the coupon freebies. Cans and jars do keep, you know.

I don't think we EVER ate jarred sauce as a kid. Not until I moved out at 19. Just out of convenience and cost. We still get the jarred as well, but a pot of homemade is oh-so-good. Doesn't compare. A quick pic from yesterday

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree with the homemade - somewhere in a card file is the homemade sauce my mom made by the gallons, to be frozen at double-strength. For now, I'll content myself with some homemade meatballs.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not a patient person. But I am when cooking. It also relaxes and calms me down. Nothing like cooking and drinking for a few hours. Sauce (some of us call it gravy), chili (red or green), risotto. Something that takes a little time and patience. Gotta try it along the way. Several times in fact, and wash it down with beer and wine.

Maybe this is why I've put on 15-20 pounds this winter :) I need to start working again!!

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Risotto is neat stuff. I dig mushroom risotto.

EagleLandscape
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Here's something to think about. While you're at home bored, there is some other contractor out there securing business that could have been yours.

That single thought right there, is what gets me up and out the door in the morning.

There is work out there to be done, and someone has to do it. It might as well be me.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Risotto is neat stuff. I dig mushroom risotto.

Oh hells yes!! Mushroom with parm and fresh basil...... I like doing a multi shroom risotto. Porcini, shitake, basic button, portabella, maybe some morrells.

Once again, we got onto a food and drinking subject. Let's start up the irrigators cookbook.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's something to think about. While you're at home bored, there is some other contractor out there securing business that could have been yours.

That single thought right there, is what gets me up and out the door in the morning.

There is work out there to be done, and someone has to do it. It might as well be me.It's below twenty degrees and the wind is twenty mph and gusting higher, and I'd consider shoveling snow, if the wind wasn't moving it all by itself. Any intrepid contractor is welcome to jump in and collar all the trade I'm missing out on. :p

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM

There is work out there to be done, and someone has to do it. It might as well be me.

John - I'm glad you have that drive. Good for you. Not for me. I enjoy taking time off. And in a cold weather climate in this industry, there isn't much to do right now. Every contractor I deal with has NOTHING going on right now. I enjoy taking the time off. The things I need to get done are getting phone and internet here at the shop(swiping a signal right now), order return envelopes, create new postcard, etc. All busy work. Not actually bring in $$$ work. If I do too much $$$ work right now, I will regret it as it WILL freeze and snow again.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Oyster mushrooms are the ones that give the risotto the depth I like, although I haven't tried the porcinis or chanterelles. (I'm too cheap :)) What I really need to make is another batch of veal stock.

Mike Leary
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
chanterelles.

We gather those in the wild up north.......ambrosia.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 02:24 PM

My brother goes picking in Montana but I don't remember what kind

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I can skip the mushroom picking. I'm just sorry I never made it to Joe's restaurant in Reading, before Jack Czarnecki relocated in the Northwest.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Where he hangs out nowadays (http://www.joelpalmerhouse.com/Scripts/aboutus.asp)

Waterit
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM

You ought to gather some around where you are now - take a trip and never leave the twinkie!

Mike Leary
03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Where he hangs out nowadays (http://www.joelpalmerhouse.com/Scripts/aboutus.asp)

We've had dinner there, perfection.Those high-end places are having trouble with the economy, hope they survive.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
We've had dinner there, perfection.Those high-end places are having trouble with the economy, hope they survive.Most of venerable French restaurants in Manhattan closed after the first dip in this decade's economy. Look for me outside the Joel Palmer House, with the sign that reads "Will install Shrubblers for a five-course dinner" :)

Mike Leary
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Most of venerable French restaurants in Manhattan closed after the first dip in this decade's economy. Look for me outside the Joel Palmer House, with the sign that reads "Will install Shrubblers for a five-course dinner" :)

Other than some Peruvian flake, that's the best $200.00 I've ever spent.

AI Inc
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think we EVER ate jarred sauce as a kid. Not until I moved out at 19. Just out of convenience and cost. We still get the jarred as well, but a pot of homemade is oh-so-good. Doesn't compare. A quick pic from yesterday

Hey , what the hell is my stove doing in your kitchen?

Stuttering Stan
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM

I had the same mindset a few years ago. Early 20's, married, didn't have to worry about anything but the business. 2 years ago had a baby girl, my life changed for the better. Rather than thinking about growing the business, i now focus on the family and business comes 2nd.
John, wait till you have a family. Priorities change in life. I'd much rather watch my baby girl then go out looking for more work.
You'll grow wiser with age. Just look at old man Leary, he's no dummy.

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Just look at old man Leary, he's no dummy.

Whoa whoa. Hold on there. Don't get too hasty. :)

DanaMac
03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey , what the hell is my stove doing in your kitchen?

Just got it a month ago. And installed an over the range microwave Saturday.

AI Inc
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Waiting for boots to post a pic of a vetwilaquist ( sp? ) with an imperial hat.

Kiril
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

There is more to life than work JW. If you want your marriage to last, my advice to you is never forget that.

AI Inc
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
There is more to life than work JW. If you want your marriage to last, my advice to you is never forget that.

Use this advice , or use an offshore account.