PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chevy 3500 6.5TD

DBFlawn
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some insight on what you think about this truck or the 6.5 in general for that matter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1998-GMC-SIERRA-3500-DIESEL-4X4-W-PLOW-108K-MILES-N-R_W0QQitemZ120383953417QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=ite m120383953417&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
DBF

EagleGrounds
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I think it looks like a solid truck. Worn, but solid.

You may want to ask him for more details like typical useagle, any work thats been done to it, maintenance logs, etc. Plow trucks tend to be worn in much more than regular work trucks.

But good luck with the bid!

DBFlawn
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
not arguing with you but what signs do you see that shows that its worn? is it just implied because it has a plow on it? it seems clean and didt seem that worn.

thanks for your help

nosparkplugs
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
The 6.2L & 6.5L GM diesels have their gremlins, as do all diesels I would not consider these two a "modern" diesel engine. I have owned both displacement diesels over the years. Goes I wish Health diesel was around back then. Like all diesels their are specific weak points that should be addressed, some are critical, others optional for longer life.

http://www.heathdiesel.com/

For those wondering why most OEM's don't build their engine's & transmissions with the absolute best parts is COST. I would spend the exrta money for a truck built right; however their are always those consumers who would complain about the extra cost. This is why we turn to the artermarket automotive industry for answers.

For a Plow truck it looks clean, for $2500 it could go either way if you get 1 year out of the truck you have made your money IMO. Go for it

DBFlawn
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah i know it sounds like a deal but ive been debating that one. i worry something eill go wrong with it.

does anyone know how many miles these 6.5's will go without major repair?

genesis215
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
My friend knows many people with the 6.5L, and it's the worst diesel ever made according to him (at least the '94-'97 6.5). Lots of premature engine failures, injection pumps going out every year, fuel problems, and very hard starting even in warm weather. Many people I know have terrible problems with them, and some others have zero problems. The ones that aren't having problems all have 1998 and 1999's. The '98-'00 6.5L's are much better because they finally fixed the injection pumps, but they still aren't near as reliable as the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke, and the Dodge Cummins. They do get much better fuel mileage though (23+ mpg highway). As for how many miles these can go, I have seen many 6.5L's with 350-400,000 miles on the original engine. But that is about as far as these will go, and pales in comparison to the Powerstroke and Cummins which can go 800,000+ miles with few problems.

I think that a '98 6.5L will be fine as far as reliability, but if you can get a Powerstroke or Cummins for only a little bit more I would do it.

DBFlawn
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
My friend knows many people with the 6.5L, and it's the worst diesel ever made according to him (at least the '94-'97 6.5). Lots of premature engine failures, injection pumps going out every year, fuel problems, and very hard starting even in warm weather. Many people I know have terrible problems with them, and some others have zero problems. The ones that aren't having problems all have 1998 and 1999's. The '98-'00 6.5L's are much better because they finally fixed the injection pumps, but they still aren't near as reliable as the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke, and the Dodge Cummins. They do get much better fuel mileage though (23+ mpg highway). As for how many miles these can go, I have seen many 6.5L's with 350-400,000 miles on the original engine. But that is about as far as these will go, and pales in comparison to the Powerstroke and Cummins which can go 800,000+ miles with few problems.

I think that a '98 6.5L will be fine as far as reliability, but if you can get a Powerstroke or Cummins for only a little bit more I would do it.

thanks. i think im just gonna pass this one up. they sound good but i just cant take that chance of something happening. i think i ill find somethuing a little closer that i can drive b4 i buy.

thanks for everyones help

Gravel Rat
03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
If the truck was 454 powered it would be worth looking at but powered with a 6.5 Turdo diesel forget it.

DBFlawn
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
yeah i know. ive never been in a 6.5 so i dont know what they are like. so like i said. i think im better off waiting and finding something a little closer.

my dad has the 454 in his work truck and its a complete beast with tons of power.

Gravel Rat
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
The 6.5 engine was the worst engine GM ever produced. The 6.2 was a little better but it was a gutless wonder.

The 454 powered trucks are good a little piggy on fuel but I would take it over a 350 powered truck.

RightLawnsKY
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM
interior looks real dirty. i would look else where. shows the guy didnt take care of it.

Classified
03-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a 93 chevy with the 6.5TD and to be honest, its the coolest truck! Its slow, its ugly, and its doesnt sound like other diesels but if you know these engines, they are actually very simple, and easy to work on. I would never hesitate to buy another one. There are a few things that are suggested that you should do to ensure a longer lasting engine which can be learned at www.dieseltowingresource.com. I had all sorts of little issue with mine and for less than $100 and my time, it runs great and it gets about 18-22 mpgs TOWING.

I say get it IMO

EDIT: I just looked at the link, I would buy that truck in a heartbeat (Pun intended) if I were looking. Thats a real nice truck.

nosparkplugs
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree with you 100%, the 6.2L & 6.5L diesels were my first introduction into the diesel world. let me tell you a little secret about these diesels there gasoline engine blocks converted over to burn diesel. Giving the 6.2L & 6.5L their distincitve sound, and troubles as well:) MY issues were always glow plugs, I lived in Northern Michigan back then, and if you plugged the diesel in you had ZERO problems starting them. Diesels are not for everyone these GM diesels can "nickle & Dime" you, but will last for 600,000 miles easily. Yes that is accurate their are GM diesels out their with half a million miles on them. Yes the owners have replaced everything but the axles on the truck too. If your looking for a pre-modern era diesel with absolutely zero troubles GOOD LUCK.:rolleyes: o

Memphis based Autozone, just reported record profits yesterday, why becuase folks are fixing their current vehicles to keep from having to purchase new. With our economic future uncertain, Cash is king right now. If you cannot afford to purchase new, these older used trucks are worth the risk. Gone are the days of the throw away, or buy new if it's old economy. Yes folks are still buying new, but were looking harder at "can I make what I already have last longer"

I have a 93 chevy with the 6.5TD and to be honest, its the coolest truck! Its slow, its ugly, and its doesnt sound like other diesels but if you know these engines, they are actually very simple, and easy to work on. I would never hesitate to buy another one. There are a few things that are suggested that you should do to ensure a longer lasting engine which can be learned at www.dieseltowingresource.com. I had all sorts of little issue with mine and for less than $100 and my time, it runs great and it gets about 18-22 mpgs TOWING.

I say get it IMO

EDIT: I just looked at the link, I would buy that truck in a heartbeat (Pun intended) if I were looking. Thats a real nice truck.

Looking Good Lawn Service
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
OHhh, hey wait, dont bid that truck yet...I can look at it in person for you, it is down the street from my house. I have seen it there for about a month, I have seen it being driven around to dunkin doughnuts and such, the truck appears in ok shape, but the plow is beat, I can see that from a distance. However, I would recommend asking the dealer for more underbody pics...it snowed quite a bit in RI this winter and it was used to plow their lot, and there is a lot of salt thrown on the streets here so an old truck like that might have alot of rust. BUt if u want me to snap some pics I will be backl in RI from florida this end of the week. GOod Luck

genesis215
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
The '92-'93 6.5L Turbo Diesel was a quite good engine, as was the 6.2L (though the 6.2L has no power at all). It was pretty powerful, quite reliable, got great mileage, and lasted nearly as long as the Cummins and Powerstroke. It was the introduction of the electronically controlled injection pump and other things in '94 that ruined the 6.5L.

genesis215
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Nothing beats an '89-'98 Cummins 12-valve Turbo Diesel IMO. They have nearly no problems at all, and will get over 20 MPG.

DBFlawn
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
OHhh, hey wait, dont bid that truck yet...I can look at it in person for you, it is down the street from my house. I have seen it there for about a month, I have seen it being driven around to dunkin doughnuts and such, the truck appears in ok shape, but the plow is beat, I can see that from a distance. However, I would recommend asking the dealer for more underbody pics...it snowed quite a bit in RI this winter and it was used to plow their lot, and there is a lot of salt thrown on the streets here so an old truck like that might have alot of rust. BUt if u want me to snap some pics I will be backl in RI from florida this end of the week. GOod Luck

that is a real generous offer of you and i appreciate that but i deceided to wait and pass it up to find something a little more local for me.

thansk again to veryone who had an input

DieselOnly
03-14-2009, 12:32 AM
I agree with you 100%, the 6.2L & 6.5L diesels were my first introduction into the diesel world. let me tell you a little secret about these diesels there gasoline engine blocks converted over to burn diesel. Giving the 6.2L & 6.5L their distincitve sound, and troubles as well:)

This is pure myth. These engines have nothing to do with gassers. They were originally designed by Detroit Diesel as a Diesel. What makes them sound so distinct is the IDI design of them. Sound very similar to the International 6.9/7.3, which are also IDI. Most of the troubles come from not enough testing before releasing stuff. Example is the 94+ injection pump. It wasn't tested well enough, and the little box on the side called the PMD failed from heat soak, leading them to gain the reputation of being unreliable and needing injection pumps.

I suggest researching them at sites like dieselplace.com and dieseltowingresource.com. Really very good little boogers after a few quarks are worked out, and can make reasonable power, be very reliable, and get great mileage with only a little money, and be simple and easy to repair.

nosparkplugs
03-14-2009, 01:51 AM
While I have no problem accepting the fact this could be true, I was born & raised in Flint, MI, my father was a GM engineer with 40 years of experience, we owned several of GM's failed attemptes at a true diesel during his life. If the 6.2L would have been a Detroit Diesel he would have been proud to let everyone know that. He was a GM diesel Guru:)

The Wiki page is a total paste word for word from the dieselplace forum page:confused:

It's surly good PR to get this information out, and granted with the economy tanking those looking for "cheap" diesels have found the perfect match. You could not pay me to own another 6.2L or 6.5L diesels; however I learned alot about diesels during that time period in my life. Everyone should go through the agony of a GM diesel to appreciate something else.

The 6.2 & 6.5L diesels are dinosarus now, I have nightmares about them from time to time, and wake up realizing I am with Dodge Cummins now.:)

This is pure myth. These engines have nothing to do with gassers. They were originally designed by Detroit Diesel as a Diesel. What makes them sound so distinct is the IDI design of them. Sound very similar to the International 6.9/7.3, which are also IDI. Most of the troubles come from not enough testing before releasing stuff. Example is the 94+ injection pump. It wasn't tested well enough, and the little box on the side called the PMD failed from heat soak, leading them to gain the reputation of being unreliable and needing injection pumps.

I suggest researching them at sites like dieselplace.com and dieseltowingresource.com. Really very good little boogers after a few quarks are worked out, and can make reasonable power, be very reliable, and get great mileage with only a little money, and be simple and easy to repair.

DieselOnly
03-14-2009, 02:19 AM
While I have no problem accepting the fact this could be true, I was born & raised in Flint, MI, my father was a GM engineer with 40 years of experience, we owned several of GM's failed attemptes at a true diesel during his life. If the 6.2L would have been a Detroit Diesel he would have been proud to let everyone know that. He was a GM diesel Guru:)

The Wiki page is a total paste word for word from the dieselplace forum page:confused:

It's surly good PR to get this information out, and granted with the economy tanking those looking for "cheap" diesels have found the perfect match. You could not pay me to own another 6.2L or 6.5L diesels; however I learned alot about diesels during that time period in my life. Everyone should go through the agony of a GM diesel to appreciate something else.

The 6.2 & 6.5L diesels are dinosarus now, I have nightmares about them from time to time, and wake up realizing I am with Dodge Cummins now.:)

I, honestly, love the 6.2 and 6.5. I wouldn't mind another, really. Mine has been very reliable for a 15 year old/191K mile truck. Don't know what you mean the wiki page is a copy word for word from Diesel Place, but I know the wiki has been copied and pasted onto DP several times. The military also calls the 6.2/6.5 a Detroit. They were both, IIRC, made by GM, but where originally designed by Detroit years ago when Detroit was part of GM. I, personally, consider them a GM/Detroit, especially the 6.5. The later 6.5's are more of a GM/Detroit/AM General.

chevyinlinesix
03-14-2009, 03:21 AM
I agree with you 100%, the 6.2L & 6.5L diesels were my first introduction into the diesel world. let me tell you a little secret about these diesels there gasoline engine blocks converted over to burn diesel. Giving the 6.2L & 6.5L their distincitve sound, and troubles as well:) MY issues were always glow plugs, I lived in Northern Michigan back then, and if you plugged the diesel in you had ZERO problems starting them. Diesels are not for everyone these GM diesels can "nickle & Dime" you, but will last for 600,000 miles easily. Yes that is accurate their are GM diesels out their with half a million miles on them. Yes the owners have replaced everything but the axles on the truck too. If your looking for a pre-modern era diesel with absolutely zero troubles GOOD LUCK.:rolleyes: o

There is so much wrong with what you just said, have you ever had one of these engines apart before. Let's start with the block, there are several different blocks that these engines came with, 141, 506, 599, ect. Completely different castings.

The cylinder walls/decks are much thicker.
The main bearings are huge.
All main caps have 4 straight bolts.
They have a central thrust bearing.
Starter mount is different.
The timing cover is a thick aluminum piece that houses the timing chain, injector pump gears, and hold injector pump in place.
The rear main seal is twice the size of a gas engine seal.
Factory piston squirters.
Different oil pan bolt size, spacing, and design.
Factory nitrided crankshaft bearing journals.
Very large crankshaft snout that accepts a huge fine thread H/B bolt.
Entirely different firing order.
Large forged connecting rods.
Piston pins that are nearly solid they're walls are so thick.
Full floating piston pins.
Factory hydraulic roller camshaft and lifters.
Entirely different oil pump/oil pump drive shaft
Factory double roller timing chain, with all steel timing gears.
Enclosed lifter/push rods inside engine block, dry valley.
No valve relives in pistons.
Longer, and excessively heavy duty, tip hardened push rods.
Factory shaft mounted rocker arms.
Different exhaust ports and bolt pattern, like no other.
Different intake ports and bolt pattern, like no other.
High pressure fuel injectors, precups in heads, prechamber with glowplugs, no combustion chamber, only a "fire deck"
Different valve cover size/bolt pattern all together.
Different head bolt pattern.
Different cooling system, bypass type setup.
Entire unique water pump.
Factory Aluminum single plane intake manifold.

It would have been MUCH easier to say what's the same on them, like the bell housing bolt pattern, or the.... what else.

chevyinlinesix
03-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Sorry, I Timed out and had to repost

There is so much wrong with what you just said, have you ever had one of these engines apart before. Let's start with the block, there are several different blocks that these engines came with, 141, 506, 599, ect. Completely different castings.

The cylinder walls/decks are much thicker.
The main bearings are huge.
All main caps have 4 straight bolts.
They have a central thrust bearing.
Starter mount is different.
The timing cover is a thick aluminum piece that houses the timing chain, injector pump gears, and hold injector pump in place, and is molding to fit precisely to the front of the engine block.
The rear main seal is twice the size of a gas engine seal.
Factory piston squirters.
Different oil pan bolt size, spacing, and design.
Factory nitrided crankshaft bearing journals.
Very large crankshaft snout that accepts a huge fine thread H/B bolt.
Entirely different firing order.
Large forged connecting rods.
Piston pins that are nearly solid they're walls are so thick.
Full floating piston pins.
Factory hydraulic roller camshaft and lifters.
Entirely different oil pump/oil pump drive shaft
Factory double roller timing chain, with all steel timing gears.
Enclosed lifter/push rods inside engine block, dry valley.
Cast in tongue on pistons to accept flame front from precups.
Longer, and excessively heavy duty, tip hardened push rods.
Factory shaft mounted rocker arms.
Different exhaust ports and bolt pattern, like no other.
Different intake ports and bolt pattern, like no other.
High pressure fuel injectors, precups in heads, prechamber with glowplugs, no combustion chamber, only a "fire deck"
Different valve cover size/bolt pattern all together.
Different head bolt pattern.
Different cooling system, bypass type setup.
Entire unique water pump.
Factory Aluminum single plane intake manifold.
Stanadyne high pressure rotary injector pumps.
No coolant running through the intake manifold.
Selective fit pistons.
Have their own factory, dedicated to building them.
No provisions for a distributor.
No provisions for spark plugs either.

It would have been MUCH easier to say what's the same on them, like the bell housing bolt pattern, the engine mounts, or the name on the valve cover.
Now don't try and tell me that the 6.2/6.5 is just a converted gas engine, there is virtually nothing the same between them.

btammo
03-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Same or not....I absolutely HATED that motor in my dump truck. I cringe when someone even mentions that motor. Hard to make money when i was dumping money by the wheelbarrow into that pc of garbage. I know it could have just been that truck and my luck but i didnt like anything about it. The thing couldnt get out of its own way and was an electrical nightmare.

TXNSLighting
03-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Get a duramax. The only good GM diesel.

LCPullman
03-15-2009, 01:11 AM
I personally wouldn't buy one. We had one, and the electronic injection pump is a real big problem. Problem is, you never know how long the pump is going to last, could last 6 months or it could last you for 10 years. We got rid of the truck when we were going to have to replace the cylinder heads, they cracked and it was burning coolant like crazy. I know these problems aren't uncommon.

However, there are people who have run these will very few problems. Also, alot of these problems can be addressed with aftermarket fixes, as someone mentioned earlier, check out Heath Diesel.

gmlm
12-12-2013, 11:13 PM
i have a 1996 6.5td in a 3500 standard transmission and i have a 2006 2500hd with a 6.0 gasser. they both pull the same payload each week and i have barely any problems out of either of them. the TD is not s speed deamon but the trans and motor seem bullet proof. i just dont spend as much on fuel for the 6.5td. just happy to not own a 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke. talk about problems...thats example one and two.