PDA

View Full Version : Need help convincing parents on having 2 trimmers.

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I need your guys honest opinion here. I'm trying to convince my parent to let me buy a second trimmer. I want a FS 90R because of the straight shaft, and keep my JD. I plan on alternating them on jobs. I'll have the money for it even if I don't get the large job I hope to get, later in the season. Paying Cash. So, the question is do I need 2 trimmers? PLEASE HELP!

Puddle of Oil
03-02-2009, 09:31 PM
whats wrong with the first one?

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Nothing but, others on here say to carry 2 trimmers in case one breaks down. Im getting rid of the Ryobi shown in my sig., because it's a Piece of Junk, if I get the Stihl.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
You should def have one as a back up. Good luck glad to see you're not wasting your life in front of the tv.

JeffNY
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
get a husq from lowes. its like $180, and I almost like it better than the $300 echo.

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
You should def have one as a back up. Good luck glad to see you're not wasting your life in front of the tv.

But commercial grade? I have to be doing something outside, weather permitting, or I go crazy!:laugh:

Puddle of Oil
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
get a jd trimmer, stihl are gas guzzlers, dont get me wrong though, they are good trimmers.

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
get a jd trimmer, stihl are gas guzzlers, dont get me wrong though, they are good trimmers.

I have a JD and love it (its a bent shaft),but are the straight shafts as good as Stihls? I want something I can keep for a very very long time.

STIHL GUY
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
you dont really need 2. im sure you customers wouldnt mind if you explained that you would come back and trim cause your trimmer broke. If your running a big business its diffrent but for now one should be fine

LouisianaLawnboy
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
You definetely need a backup. I like Shindaiwais personally. They are heavy, but the best.

MileHigh
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
You will need a back up trimmer...just plain facts.

It's smart to carry at least 2 of everything if possible.

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
you dont really need 2. im sure you customers wouldnt mind if you explained that you would come back and trim cause your trimmer broke. If your running a big business its diffrent but for now one should be fine

Thats what I did last year. There is just something about it that I don't like about going back even though I'm not a big operation. I plan on expanding next year since I'll have my license. So should I wait to buy?

mowerbrad
03-02-2009, 10:39 PM
At this point I don't think that you really need a second trimmer. I don't know the exact number of customers you have but to my understanding you are a small operation. Save your money, if your Deere breaks down then buy a new one while that one is getting fixed but until then I wouldn't worry about it. For large companies it is a must, but you will do just fine without one for now. But once you start getting alot of customers then you should get a second one.

Alpha Property
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
what about a 4mix kombi system? then you can use the excuse that you're going to get it to have it for a trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, tiller, poll pruner.... coming from being 20 and living at home still and when i was still doing this part time, depending on how your parents are, i usual just buy stuff, and make it appear... like i'm not telling you to go get in trouble, but with my parents i usually tell them what ever i bought was used, or open, scratch and dent special kinda thing.... and low ball the actual cost your telling them its worth.... but i accept no responsibility if you listen and get it big $h!+ lol

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
At this point I don't think that you really need a second trimmer. I don't know the exact number of customers you have but to my understanding you are a small operation. Save your money, if your Deere breaks down then buy a new one while that one is getting fixed but until then I wouldn't worry about it. For large companies it is a must, but you will do just fine without one for now. But once you start getting alot of customers then you should get a second one.

Yes I'm a small operation. That's what I'm leaning towards as of now.

Sturob
03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
It sounds like to me that you just want a new trimmer!! If that is the case and you can pay cash for it then go get it!! If so, buy an echo and you will not need a second trimmer as long as you take care of it. I'm a big fan of echo. Never had any problems. If you are on a tight budget then just stick with what you have this season and rely on this site for any repairs that you might need help with. Any trimmer will work in a part time situation as long as you take care of it.

JB1
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Cuttinitclose;2817803]Yes I'm a small operation. That's what I'm leaning towards as of now.[/QUOTE

listen to your parents, now go to bed. :)

Cuttinitclose
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
It sounds like to me that you just want a new trimmer!! If that is the case and you can pay cash for it then go get it!! If so, buy an echo and you will not need a second trimmer as long as you take care of it. I'm a big fan of echo. Never had any problems. If you are on a tight budget then just stick with what you have this season and rely on this site for any repairs that you might need help with. Any trimmer will work in a part time situation as long as you take care of it.

No, I just don't want to look like a unprepared fool.

Lugnut
03-02-2009, 11:12 PM
If your Deere breaks down then use your Ryobi. It seems to me like you already have a backup unless I'm missing something

Lynden-Jeff
03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I wish this was my biggest worrie LOL.

MileHigh
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I wish this was my biggest worrie LOL.

lol....drink a beer:drinkup:

how's that megablade been treating ya Jeff?

lawnproslawncare
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
My honest opinion. Go with the Stihl Combi system so you can go with a edger, or broom, or pole saw, or or or or lol.... I have three power units, 3 trimmer heads, long reach hedge trimmer, edger, and going to get two brooms this year! Best bang for the buck. Go with the biggest model, I don't know how else to convince you. Haven't touched them at all maintenance wise, except the air filters ever 5 months

Sturob
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
The key is to have a good enough relationship with your customers so that it would not matter. I try to go above and beyond for the valued customers that I have. If there is a little trash in the yard, I pick it up. If their garbage cans are out front, then I bring them in. A few minutes spent on the little things will go a long way in the end. Don't worry about your eaquipment just yet. Just get the job done and do a good job at it. Save that money and those tips and soon enough, you can buy all the equipment that you want. It's the service that counts!! The customers do not look at the new equipment that you have. They look at #1 the job that you do #2 the relationship that they have with you.

lawnproslawncare
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I forgot to mention, before you buy a stihl: Can you get service for it? If not buy from the dealer you know you can trust! It doesn't matter what kind you buy if you can't get it fixed.

Oh, as for the gas guzzler part: Stihl 4 mix units are just as bad on gas as every 2stroke out there, they are just quieter

Lynden-Jeff
03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
lol....drink a beer:drinkup:

how's that megablade been treating ya Jeff?

Year hasnt even started yet and I could use a beer lol. Mega blade has been burtal, ill be glad when I get a second generation blade next year, good concept, bad execution.

Runner
03-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Put mommy on...I'm sure ONE of these guys will convince her that a straight shaft is better than a curved! Tell her it'll not only save time, but can reach in and under areas alot farther than any curved shaft can. Also, don't forget the point that a straight shaft has alot more power than a curved. It may be a bit more expensive, but it will sure outlast a curved shaft trimmer.:weightlifter:

juspayme
03-03-2009, 05:16 AM
tell your4 parents that i said to let you buy the extra trimmer. at least your not spending your money on drugs or dumb video games.

second, my parents discouraged me from working in this industry. i told my parents that you had your life now its time for me to chose mine. im not rich, but i love what i do.

my advice. wake up every day and do what you want to do. let no one and i mean no one tell you how to live your life, for its your life.

i always told them i had the master plan! good luck:)

Enclosed trailer.. what should I look for .. what things to consider

Richard Martin
03-03-2009, 05:21 AM
I agree with Runner.

Oh, and whatever you do please, please, please don't ever lie to your parents. Trust by a parent is easily given the first time. Once taken away it's hard to get it back a second time.

topsites
03-03-2009, 05:31 AM
I suppose there might be a better way to put it...

But you want a new trimmer why do you have to consult with your parents,
just grab your money and go buy one already, they're only like $400...

lawnproslawncare
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Well put topsites. Kid, you need proper equipment if your gonna be successful in any business. You can't run a newspaper company out of your bedroom, so why run a lawn care business with equipment that won't last period!

Marcos
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Put mommy on...I'm sure ONE of these guys will convince her that a straight shaft is better than a curved!

Oh, no question about it!
Mommy likes the straight shaft! :rolleyes:

Danscapes
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
My question is, do your parents run your business or do you? If you do then say, "get off your arse and drive me to the store so I can buy a new trimmer"

Cuttinitclose
03-03-2009, 05:31 PM
I suppose there might be a better way to put it...

But you want a new trimmer why do you have to consult with your parents,
just grab your money and go buy one already, they're only like $400...

There the ones who have to take me to buy it.

tiggazee
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Dood if you are just starting out, go buy a craftsmen from sears. They are good and will last you a long time considering you prob wont be using it that much.

Cuttinitclose
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm not starting out they moved me from commercial and res!

DynaMow
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
My answer to you is this, without knowing your op, or props, or finances.

It is good to have a back up, no doubt. Its also nice to have a straight shaft trimmer, no doubt. I believe your parents are trying to teach you to make smart conscience business decisions.

I have always been one to let the business dictate the equipment and not the equipment dictate the business.

If only having a backup, probably not enough. Needed cause its curved, probably not enough. Back up and straight combined, could be enough.

Make any sense young man?

Grits
03-04-2009, 12:22 AM
When your business has enough money to buy extra equipment....then let the business buy it.

jhastrello
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
If you are running a business (no matter what your age or experience), then you should be running your business. Obviously, you have already decided that you need a second trimmer. So, the question now is:

' Help me convince my parents of the need.'

That's your job. And if your parents are (or have been) giving you advice - then take it. Use your current trimmer, and if it breaks - go get another one and/or get it repaired. Almost any one of us, at some time or another - are going to have something break or need repair where we don't have a backup.

J.R. Services
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I personally love Echo 210s, and stihls are very nice and very powerful but... they are heavy and oddly designed. At least for me. I was also looking at getting an echo with changeable attachments but i haven't seen anyone else with them so I'm not too sure about them.

jhastrello
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Personally, I decided against going with one with changeable attachments. Had a 'residential' version several years ago. Changed it once (twice actually). Simply found that it was one more piece of mechanical linkage to deal with, and didn't really care for the 'connection'.

If on a budget, it might be a decent item till you can get additional funds. The other thing to look at, is that it takes TIME to change the attachments, and if something goes wrong with the motor end, everything is dead.

Just items to consider.

Bustus
03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I dont see the need for a backup trimmer on a small scale. If it breaks down, then head over to buy the new one you want. I really don`t think a client will get rid of you if you leave and then come back.

ambersLawnmowing
03-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Go and buy one. But You Want a John Deere, stay away from those. Spendy to fix, spendy just because of the name i had a bunch when starting out. Also the last time i was in to my Dealer "that was about 8 hour ago" they dont sell the John Deere models anymore they are now a Stihl dealer so if they disco them parts may be hard to find in the future.

Jay Ray
03-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I have a JD and love it (its a bent shaft),but are the straight shafts as good as Stihls? I want something I can keep for a very very long time.

I have an FS80 I bought as a homeowner at least nine years ago, I know because I had it at my last house before moving. It's my backup. Had to call on it a couple days ago, started 2nd pull, ran great.

Some time ago, year and some maybe, it quit because dirt dobbers got in the muffler. With the muffler off for cleaning the bore still looked perfect. I have put one new carb on it, maybe two.