PDA

View Full Version : How far will 1 bale of straw go?

NCLawncare
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
i am trying to give a customer a price on sowing there yard....the yard is about 17000 sq ft. how far will a bale of straw go putting it out by hand vs. putting it would with a stawblower

White Gardens
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM
i am trying to give a customer a price on sowing there yard....the yard is about 17000 sq ft. how far will a bale of straw go putting it out by hand vs. putting it would with a stawblower

This is just from personal knowledge from growing up on a farm.

Many factors come into play when you try to figure how many bales to use. What kind of straw is it, how compressed are the bales, size, etc..

So with that said, I've seen bales cover 40 sq ft, up to 160 sq ft.

Another thing to think about too is straw can be laden with weed seed, so is it "clean" straw. I personally don't use it as cover on lawns just for that reason.

I wouldn't think you would need a straw blower for 17 K sq ft. It would go pretty quickly I would think.

jsw2008
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I usually can cover about 125 sq ft with the wheat straw I use. Its baled really tight.

rcreech
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
As stated the tighness and size of the bales are key!

If you are blowing you will use about 50% less straw and you will get a much better and consistent coverage! Plus you can blow about 1-2 bales/minute if you are good at it!

With my bales...which are usually pretty tight and around 35-40#....I figure a 1 - 1.5 bales/k. Anymore then that and it is too think IMO. If you get it too thick it will hender the new turf and blow around too much!

I always try and get somewhere between 60-70% coverage and don't go too thick!

The drier or hotter it is..the more straw I use! I typically try not to use straw in early spring or the fall!

allinearth
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
700 sq ft /bale with a blower. 500 sq ft by hand.