PDA

View Full Version : HELP Flagstone patio

chilsonslawnandlandscape
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
so the customer wanted me to install a patio and put some perrenials in the gaps so i left the gaps wider, then when we got done she said she liked it the way it was so I had to harden up the sand in between. I tried this spray stuff and it didn't really work and poly sand the cracks are too big for. Any ideas?? I have pictures on my comp. but i cant figure out how to get them on here.

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Have a moderator put this in the Hardscaping section. You'll get more responses that way.

Mikel50
03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
you could put some sand topping mix in the joints and wet it and let it go...its basicly quickrete but its alot sandier or mix in what ever you already have down...it may however crack eventually and may need to be gone over, worst case.
its an option.

chilsonslawnandlandscape
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
What is sand topping mix? Do you think it will hold on the bigger cracks that are about up to 3"?

FLCthes4:11-12
03-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Just use mortar. It may sound intimidating but it is the best answer. Here in the south I use Type S and make it a little stiff (less sand). Also depending on the stone color mix in either buff or black color mortar. It will help hide mistakes. What kind of foundation is the patio sitting on? squeeze mortar into joints and let sit until you can press a thumb print in it. then trowel it smooth and level. let sit almost dry then take a mason's brush and sweep the joints this will make the stone stand out. Try not to get mortar on rock. But if it does let dry the flake it off with a plastic brush or muratic acid the next day. I had a lot of problems with dry laid flagstone when I was just starting out. Now I try not to lay them unless the customer insists. Hope this helps some.

chilsonslawnandlandscape
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
It's sitting on top of soil

White Gardens
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM
It's sitting on top of soil

ooooh. not good.

Mikel50
03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
The fact that the flagstones are sitting on the soil probably arent a huge deal depending how heavy they are...not sure what your soil is like down there but they hopefully wont move to much.
That being said you are limiting yourself with your options even more because if the soil does force them to move around , they're considered to be "live" and you need to fill the voids with a "live" product.. ie; sand, stone.
Quickrete makes a product 5-/80lb bag of sand topping mix. its basicly mortar but it has alot more sand in it .pick it up at home depot or a similar place

If if were me and i had this problem i would let the customer know the issue and give them a few other options,
Moss between the stone
Stepping Herbs ..they have several varieties at home/garden stores
3/8 gravel or as we call it up here pea stone or even (rice stone=$$)
or just plant grass...more maintenance unfortunately

Mikel50
03-07-2009, 06:57 AM
oh a yeah , it'll fill them pasky 3" gaps.. good luck

Tell the customer what you'r gonna do , even though you think it makes you look unprofessional , that you're unsure of the situation. it may give them the heads up and want additional options...unless you'va already done that.

FLCthes4:11-12
03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah if it is on soil then deffinatly not mortar. I like the idea of the rice size stone. or planting with herbs or moss. And it may be an upsale that if the stone is directly on soil pull'em up pour a little concrete or crushed stone base and lay on mortar bed and fill joints with same. Hope it works out.

chilsonslawnandlandscape
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Well thank you very much ill let you guys know how it went.