PDA

View Full Version : how should I advertise

tom's lawn care
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I am almost sixteen and I have my own company. I started last year with about three accounts down the street from me, and I would like to really get my buisness going this year. I have all the equipment that I need, which consists of a 52 wright stander, 18ft open trailer, ford f-350, toro super recycler, stihl trimmers and blowers, and much more. I have printed out about one thousand fliers, and I was going to hand them out on doors. i was wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to advertise. Also deos knocking on doors help more? Also what should I say? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IntegrityGuy
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
you should say,

hello i am sixteen and am fallowing in my brothers footsteps. My brother does a much better job than me and here is his card, give him a call if you need any lawn or landscaping services.

tom's lawn care
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
joe you just ruind my thread

tom's lawn care
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
By the way I like how you put my mower picture as your profile picture

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
i still don't understand why people have to be a** on here. but it is hard for some people to belive at that age that u have that equipment. im not denying that u do but what u say u have is your mater. u can do what u said with passing out flyer's. dint leave them in mail boxes against federal law. u could do direct mailers, that get expensive. also get yard signs and stick them in the yards that u cut. u can letter your truck and trailer or get magnetics signs.

IntegrityGuy
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Ill fix it.

Toxey
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
some people are just a$$holes in general.

mowerbrad
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I would advise against going door to door as that usually requires a permit. Even with a permit most people don't like the door to door salesmen. I would suggest that you just pass out the flyers in newspaper boxes.

tiggazee
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
What's up bud. I passed out two thousand flyers last year and had too much business to handle. I would highly suggest passing out at least five thousand so you can pick and choose your yards since you are just starting out. I had much luck putting flyers ON THE FLAGS of mailboxes. Have a sign on your truck so people know who you are when you drive up and down their streets doing these flyers. Some people say not to put flyers even ON THE OUTSIDE of mailboxes. However, it really just depends on where you are and what the rules are. I called the United States postmaster and they said putting flyers on mailboxes is out of the question. Then they told me to call my local postmaster. My local postmaster said that they don't usually go after people until it becomes a problem. I also asked about five local postcarriers and they said I can absolutely do it....just to be professional about it.

Suggestions:

- have signs on your car so people know you are a business and not tampering with their mailboxes

-my friend said to go out and do it around 1 or 2 in the morning. that is stupid just because is sketchy

-don't put them out if it is going to rain in the next day or two

-go back the next day or two and pick up flyers that people did not get. ex. houses that are for sale. also pick up any remaining flyers that are blowing around the streets

-pass up or either go to the door when you see a mailbox that has no lid or the lid is not shut. better safe than sorry!

-wave and smile at neighbors and people walkig their dog or exercising

- be a professional.......... "if you look professional and act professional, you are professional"

tom's lawn care
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
thanks thats some good info, i'll try it.

Grits
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM
i still don't understand why people have to be a** on here. but it is hard for some people to belive at that age that u have that equipment. im not denying that u do but what u say u have is your mater. u can do what u said with passing out flyer's. dint leave them in mail boxes against federal law. u could do direct mailers, that get expensive. also get yard signs and stick them in the yards that u cut. u can letter your truck and trailer or get magnetics signs.

I think they know each other....possibly related.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I think they know each other....possibly related i see what u mean, did notice that at first. but that they way it came across to me sorry for that my fault

IntegrityGuy
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
ya hes my brother. were 1 year appart and always give each other a hard time. And yes i can be an ass to him some times, but on the other hand were brothers.

tom's lawn care
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
ur still an ass. Just jokin I would ask my brother about advertising, but he wouln't help me, he would rather be an ass. So I decided to ask you guys.

lawnproslawncare
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
lol...brothers

IntegrityGuy
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
ur still an ass. Just jokin I would ask my brother about advertising, but he wouln't help me, he would rather be an ass. So I decided to ask you guys.

I told you to hang flyers on mailboxes or doors, and then if you see a house that you would really like to cut then ring there door bell.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
just go to the house that he cut an cut your price by a few dollars, or tell them that your are taking over for him and just bill it to you instead .

mowerbrad
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
If you really want to spend some money, you could have a website designed. Also get a bunch of business cards made, always is handy to have those around. Then you can try getting some t-shirts made up and wear those around, both when you are working and not. The basice idea, is to just get your name out there so people remember it. Make sure that your truck is lettered too.

BTW, how did you get all your equipment (truck, trailer, mower, etc.) with just mowing a couple lawns?

tiggazee
03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Just a little feedback guys. I was in a residential neighborhood this afternoon putting flyers on the flags of mailboxes. I was on the wrong side of the road with my flashers on. A police officer past me. He smiled and waved.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Just a little feedback guys. I was in a residential neighborhood this afternoon putting flyer's on the flags of mailboxes. I was on the wrong side of the road with my flashers on. A police officer past me. He smiled and waved.
this may be all fine and dandy in your neighborhood but it may not be in other neighborhoods. here in parts of VA they will write you a ticket if u leave ur truck running and leave it unattended. “Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of
accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or
delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage
thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.” this is the law from the federal government covering post boxes and the fine if they do fine u is 10,000 to me it just doesn't seem worth the risk

tiggazee
03-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I somewhat agree. You should definately be aware of federal laws, and all it takes is the right person, who wants to enforce this law, to catch you. However, keep in mind this was a 16 year old young man whom asked the question that I initialy responded to. I mean do I have to say anything else? Absolutely nothing is going to happen to a 16 year old guy for putting flyers on a damn mailbox. At most, they will ask him to stop and have him take the flyers down (with a regretful smile, because they are happy he's not running the streets.)

Be careful and be professional!

tom's lawn care
03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Also I got my equipment, because I worked for a guy over the summer last year, and I just have been saving my money. My dad bought me my truck, and I bought the rest.

tom's lawn care
03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Also I had shirts made, and buisness cards, and I will soon be getting magnets for my truck.

Florabama
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Make a cool flyer and copy it two to page. Use the basic principles of advertising, 1) Catchy line, 2) Make it personal 3) What you can do 4) A deal ("free cut after 3rd visit with contract") and 5) Last - Your business name and contact info. Have the flyers profesionally printed on color paper and trimmed to fit a ziploc bag. Cut in half and stuff and you can get 1000 flyers for less than $100. I go out on weekdays around 9:30 PM and gently and quietly place them on the front porch near the door. Works for me.

tom's lawn care
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
don't you think that 9:30 is a little late, don't you get in trouble for that?

IntegrityGuy
03-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Id say its a little sketchy

Florabama
03-12-2009, 04:20 AM

Finishing up around that time anyways. The neighborhoods are so quiet, everybody seems to be inside watching TV and the process garners very little, if any attention which I actually like. I've only had one guy come out when his dog barked and we chatted a bit, other than that, no problems. A few people are out anyway walking dogs or jogging in the early evening. The key point is that ziplocs may sound cheap but I've gotten jobs because customers chose my flyer over others since they were in a bag and placed on the doormat and weren't blowing around or wet/dirty from dew. I don't have to "touch" the doorknob or residence and they can also be read through the bag (2 sided).