PDA

View Full Version : how not to build a raised patio

KCLandscape
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM

mattfromNY
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Patio doesn't look bad, looks like the wall has the problems. LOL.

LB1234
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
oh come on...doens't look that bad:laugh:

DVS Hardscaper
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
the patio has quite a bit of age to it.

So, if a contractor did the work - then shame on them.

But if it was a home owner that did the work - Then maybe they didn't do all that bad.

DynaMow
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
whats the problem?

That overhang is awesome and one of a kind. Just throw some mulch down and move on!

Danscapes
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
That's one of those new shear decent patios........ya know like the pools. LOL!

IntegrityGuy
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
That's one of those new shear decent patios........ya know like the pools. LOL!

haha yeah an infinity patio. you guys should advertise that. :laugh:

at least it would be very cost affective.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I read about those new cantilever stone patios but haven't seen one until now. Amazing work!!!:clapping: You should send it in to Modern Marvels.

KCLandscape
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
It is a little over a year old. Installed by a local contractor. Who might be getting sued out of business. It is built over a spring w/ no drainage!

DynaMow
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
It is a little over a year old. Installed by a local contractor. Who might be getting sued out of business. It is built over a spring w/ no drainage!
Anybody that does work like that should be sued, should be out of business, and should be put in jail. Community service maybe.

I would sentence him to have to work (for free) underneath the contractor who fixes it. Sued and put out of business!!

PatriotLandscape
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
the patio looked too small anyway. He did them a favor now they should upgrade.

mattfromNY
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I see a running bond...

StoneFaced
03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Perhaps he thought the laws of physics didn't apply in Kansas city, and never heard of gravity or hydrostatic pressure. :confused:

M&N Maintenance
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
What the contractor gave no warranty? LOL

KCLandscape
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Let's just say he has not been the best communicator.
They are in negotiations for the fix, which in my opinion requires a tear down and redo with proper drainage and base. If you look close, about a foot down under the deck it is topsoil. What kind of loser would do that? It is still 2 ft off of original grade. Also, it is all dry stack. Enough said.

KCLandscape
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Any more responses?

shovelracer
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Where's the progress pics?

StoneFaced
03-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I honestly don't see how a natural spring can be in play, but it is most definitely disturbing the natural run off and catching the water inside of the wall. I have a strong suspicion that the landscape may be doing that as well...a bit hard to tell from just those shots, but the problem may be deeper than it appears.

I definitely agree w/ addressing the drainage, as first priority...but I would start at the highest point, probably at the corner of the house (maybe higher) and would have to also consider the existing drainage on the house, the existing drain tile, down spouts and roof water...also look for any overflow on the ground from the gutters.

The patio itself can be picked apart from several angels...I don't even want to get started. Nothing was taken into account beyond aesthetics. Whomever is going to resolve this had better consider all those factors...it may be time also to pull out the site plan and recheck the grades and swales, so they are in check w/ the engineering of the site as well. You can design a better wall and install drain tile on the inside of the patio, better base, etc...and still have problems if all is not taken into account including snow and freeze & thaw cycles. Probably not the best place for a natural stone patio at this point, the correct way to do it will have a cost that will far exceed that of what was paid initially, not including tear out.

One of the problems w/ these scenarios, is that the people already got burnt and are probably beside themselves as to, what to do. They can spend a lot of money chasing this guy and get nowhere. They can win a judgment, but they still have to collect...sending good money after bad. I'll bet they have no idea how long of a ride they have before them, if they think that they are going to get any restitution before all is said and done. Sad but true.