PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Helpful Landscapers

Emily
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
This is my first post and the reason I joined is because I work for a contracting company that needs 9" landscaping/gripper stakes and I can't find them so I thought I would recruit some wonderful professionals that might be able to help. The spec sheet I received for the job specified that we need the Redpath Gripper Poly-Nails, which are exactly what we need, BUT we're a government contractor and we're not allowed to order out of the country. Redpath doesn't have any stateside distributors anymore. Does anyone know where I can find these nails? They have to be the gripper ones for loose/sandy soil. I would really appreciate it! Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Dreams To Designs
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
This one looked close if you are allowed a substitution.
http://www.ecopinusa.com/

Dewitt also makes plastic anchor pins, but not with the patented toggles at the point.
http://www.dewittcompany.com/other.html

Kirk

Emily
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! The EcoPins are close but they can't be biodegradable D':

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
What are the pins going to be used for, landscape fabric, erosion control, etc....

Danscapes
03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Eco-pins are bio-degradable, I really don't know why though, because when you think about it if you staking fabric down you would want them to last for a long time not rot.

Emily
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
It is going to be used with some sort of fabric to stop landslide issues, if that helps!

yardatwork
03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Lowe's has landscape fabric pins. If you're just looking to stake down fabric do they really need to be 9" and a specific brand?

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
another thought too would to use Aluminum spikes or long nails of some sort.

Otherwise I would go with the fabric pins like suggested. Sure they'll deteriorate, but it will take a very long time for that to happen, and if you're putting anything over the fabric such as rock, that will hold it in place in the long-run too.

Plastic tent spikes might work too.

Emily
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
It's government so they say 9" or more but no less, I found 6" ones but were rejected.

bobw
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Eco-pins are bio-degradable, I really don't know why though, because when you think about it if you staking fabric down you would want them to last for a long time not rot.

Around here, we use biodegradable erosion control fabric on slopes that are hydro seeded. The bio-degradable pins and fabric disentigrate, but they take a while...which allows the wild grass seed to grow to the point that its root systems can support the slope safely

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Around here, we use biodegradable erosion control fabric on slopes that are hydro seeded. The bio-degradable pins and fabric disentigrate, but they take a while...which allows the wild grass seed to grow to the point that its root systems can support the slope safely

I'm with bobw on that one. The only other thing I can think of is just wooden stakes, similar to what they use for silt fence. It takes forever to break them down.

I still want more details of what the stakes true purpose is. Silt screens, weed fabric, ground cover mats, what grade of slop are they controlling, why do they need to not deteriorate, etc......

bobw
03-05-2009, 04:36 PM
The bio-degradable stakes we use here are actually made out of corn starch (!). They actually look and feel like a hard clear plastic. They can be pounded into the ground with hammers and don't take any damage....