PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned Hunter ASV

irrig8r
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Got this via email today:

New and Improved PGV-ASV for the California Market

Hunter Industries is proud to announce the new and improved PGV-ASV for its California market. Totally redesigned to be the toughest valve in its class, heres all thats new:

* Durable glass reinforced nylon bonnet
* Six-bonnet bolt design
* New cap design incorporates more supporting ribs for a significantly stronger performance
* New material provides higher strength and performance in high heat site conditions

I don't know why they decided to redesign it except to look more like the Rain Bird ASVF.

I took aprt and cleaned debris from 2 Hunter 1" inline SRVs a couple of weeks ago that I installed 10 years ago... still going strong.
Diaphragms (white) were intact and pliable.

The four bolt PGV seemed to be an update of that valve, and the ASV was essentially that valve with and A/S added.

Only problem I ever had was with the inlet/ outlet threads of later models.

http://hunteralliance.net/PGVASV.jpg

DanaMac
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Not a big fan of ASVs. But I know they are used a lot more in Cali. I also wasn't a fan of those SRvs you mentioned. Had a lot of seeping problems. And the damn Hunter solenoid issues. Not a big Hunter valve fan for any of the models.

AI Inc
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
They stopped making the SRV ( simple and reliable valve) Before we stopped using clocks with zone delay we used to use top end hunter valves on systems with wells.

Mike Leary
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
They stopped making the SRV ( simple and reliable valve) Before we stopped using clocks with zone delay we used to use top end hunter valves on systems with wells.

I have no idea what you are talking about, am I missing something?

Wet_Boots
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
If they keep tinkering with their ASV, it might become as good as an Irritrol (which got there {as Richdel} about thirty years ago)

irritation
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Never understood the advantage of several ASV's over a single PVB.
They have to be installed above ground so why not go with a single device for a better look.:confused:

Wet_Boots
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
They have to be installed above ground so why not go with a single device for a better look.:confused:No one steals ASVs.

DanaMac
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
They have to be installed above ground so why not go with a single device for a better look.:confused:

You mean something beautiful like this?

Mike Leary
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Why not go with a DCVA and be done with crawling up the side of the house?

Mike Leary
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
You mean something beautiful like this?

That is one classic pic, is that out of the I.A. manual or the Texas test?

irritation
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Why not go with a DCVA and be done with crawling up the side of the house?

DCVA's are not acceptable in my area.

DanaMac
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
That is one classic pic, is that out of the I.A. manual or the Texas test?

About a mile from my house. Ugly as sin. Haven't worked on it in years.

DanaMac
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
DCVA's are not acceptable in my area.

nor here....

irrig8r
03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
nor here....

Nor here...

But you can install either a PVB or and RPZ if you want to do inline underground valves.

Basically I guess they don't want your backflow preventer to be installed below grade here.

irritation
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Nor here...

But you can install either a PVB or and RPZ if you want to do inline underground valves.

Basically I guess they don't want your backflow preventer to be installed below grade here.

Or maybe they want them toxic rated and installed to code.

irrig8r
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Or maybe they want them toxic rated...

If that's why, then how come PVBs and ASVs are allowed?

AI Inc
03-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about, am I missing something?

Meant to say before we started using clocks with a delay.

Mike Leary
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Meant to say before we started using clocks with a delay.

That makes sense.

AI Inc
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
That makes sense.

Hey , every now and then I do.

Kiril
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
If that's why, then how come PVBs and ASVs are allowed?

If I am not mistaken, PVB's and ASV's are toxic rated.

gusbuster
03-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Hunter Industries is proud to announce the new and improved PGV-ASV for its California market. Totally redesigned to be the toughest valve in its class, heres all thats new:

* Six-bonnet bolt design
* New cap design incorporates more supporting ribs for a significantly stronger performance
* New material provides higher strength and performance in high heat site conditions

I don't know why they decided to redesign it except to look more like the Rain Bird ASVF.

I took aprt and cleaned debris from 2 Hunter 1" inline SRVs a couple of weeks ago that I installed 10 years ago... still going strong.

The four bolt PGV seemed to be an update of that valve, and the ASV was essentially that valve with and A/S added.

Probably a reason for the re-design is to address one issue that i see a lot with there asv's is cracking that happens here in the valley when temps drop a few days below freezing. Also, a continuous problem that I had was with how threads were cut, I would always have to double, even triple teflon any male adapter screwed into the valve to prevent leakage. One of the reasons i went to a slip version,now just need to be careful not to use too much glue.

I hope this was addressed.

mitchgo
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
I like that they are black. Way cooler then the irritrol avb's.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I like that they are black. Way cooler then the irritrol avb's.
Ugly light grey? Hideous.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Irritrol just wants you to use grey sch 80 plumbing, to get that color-coordinated look.

sprinklerchris
03-06-2009, 03:51 PM

* Six-bonnet bolt design

Are these in the Home Depots yet?

irritation
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Are these in the Home Depots yet?

Might as well be, they're sure not for professionals.:laugh:

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Might as well be, they're sure not for professionals.:laugh:

Never installed one, for pikers only.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Hunter had to redesign it, and we've heard from Rainbird ASV customers with problems. Funny how humble Richdel managed to build an effective ASV some thirty years ago.

irritation
03-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Hunter had to redesign it, and we've heard from Rainbird ASV customers with problems. Funny how humble Richdel managed to build an effective ASV some thirty years ago.

Never installed one, for pikers only.

AI Inc
03-07-2009, 07:29 AM
We dont see inspecters around here much , but if they saw one of those, we would see em on every job after that.