03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Everything looks good!

Nick

Kennedy Landscaping
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Looks mucho better!

billslawn89
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
nice job! i wish there was the hardwood mulch here in my area. i only have that red / gold woodchip junk or cypress. the cypress is nice but fades way to fast!

mjealey
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a few questions for you:

1. The small wall in the 2nd picture looks really good. When you are working with stone and a wall like that size, are you putting down some sort of base or are you putting the stones straight on the dirt?

2. Are you using a mortar to hold the stones in place?

Sorry for the questions, never have done too much work working with stones and just trying to learn.

4.3mudder
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Very nice, I hope to be doing more landscape work this year. That was a day and night difference with the bed in the yard, man, keep up the good work, it will pay off.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Nice Nice!

2brothersyardcare
03-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I have a few questions for you:

1. The small wall in the 2nd picture looks really good. When you are working with stone and a wall like that size, are you putting down some sort of base or are you putting the stones straight on the dirt?

2. Are you using a mortar to hold the stones in place?

Sorry for the questions, never have done too much work working with stones and just trying to learn.

im also wondering

landscaperman
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
It all depends on the soil. The soil that I made the wall in has a lot of clay which compacts very nice. I did not install it by the book, because as you can tell money was an issue on this project. I did compact the soil as much as possible and added about 2-3 inches of stone dust. Any small walls I do like that I guaranty it for a life time. If it does ever sink at all it is not costing me much to go out there and fix my mistake, and it also helps sell the job.

riverwalklandscaping
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I can understand a warranty but a lifetime is way too much if you get into bigger jobs.. Especially when you do everything right and then some and it still falls down because of climate change or some random thing.

IntegrityGuy
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Everything looks good.

The one thing i would comment on is that...
- tipically with most new landscape installs people do not put in deep edges for the beds. I never have known why but it is always true.

- so next time make them more defined.

- great job though.

landscaperman
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't wait till spring to make some money.

treeman06
03-05-2009, 12:48 AM
whats with the polish stone around the trees? i think it really takes away from the rest of the plantings. edges are not very crisp, rent a bed edger they do wonders.

Lawnut101
03-05-2009, 01:45 AM
I think your work looks nice! Keep it up.

pitrack
03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Everything looks good.

The one thing i would comment on is that...
- tipically with most new landscape installs people do not put in deep edges for the beds. I never have known why but it is always true.

- so next time make them more defined.

- great job though.

Wouldn't making the edges more defined be making them deeper? I have seen both around here and I personally think a real crisp 2-3 inch edge around the bed looks best.

pilot75
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't making the edges more defined be making them deeper? I have seen both around here and I personally think a real crisp 2-3 inch edge around the bed looks best.

I have never really dug any beds down before. It has been my experience to build it up to create that crisp edge. In situations like slab homes where you cannot build up much in the bag we have typically built it up 3 or 4 inches in the front and let it taper off a little towards the back and be more level than sloping away from the house. A small load of good clean topsoil would do those beds easily.

pitrack
03-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I have never really dug any beds down before. It has been my experience to build it up to create that crisp edge. In situations like slab homes where you cannot build up much in the bag we have typically built it up 3 or 4 inches in the front and let it taper off a little towards the back and be more level than sloping away from the house. A small load of good clean topsoil would do those beds easily.

I was talking about digging a couple inches down along the edge, then tampering up. Similar to Chestnut Oaks, looks great:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/pitrack/IMG_1249.jpg

ponyboy
03-05-2009, 07:57 PM
sorry looks like a home depot job but i do like the red bark mapel one of my favorits , how about some height of even depth in the landscape

DoetschOutdoor
03-05-2009, 08:28 PM
integrityguys sentence structure makes it hard to see what hes saying but I think he meant that most guys do not put deep edges in but they should....

The edging job is one of the more important parts of mulching...rent a bed edger for 65 bucks a day or use a good spade edge shovel and get a nice on the edge to hold the mulch back and define the bed.

terraman21
03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
in the pics of the small wall whyd you put white rock all around the trees Im pretty sure that is not a good idea for the trees espcially buildint them up around the base of the tree not good at let me know what you think. dont get me wrong I think it looks nice around the trees but i think its to thick thats all let me know

pitrack
03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
integrityguys sentence structure makes it hard to see what hes saying but I think he meant that most guys do not put deep edges in but they should....

The edging job is one of the more important parts of mulching...rent a bed edger for 65 bucks a day or use a good spade edge shovel and get a nice on the edge to hold the mulch back and define the bed.

I agree with you, he probably meant that it was just hard to decifer it.