PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Issues

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey Gang, i bought a trailer from a friend of mine back last year around this time and to make a long story short, he passed away and we never got the title transferred. A few days ago i tried with the executor of the will, which was his brother and the trailer never belonged to my friend who died. It was given to him by a friend who got it from my friend Mark. There is a License plate on it, but its registered to another trailer in the friends name. I quized the original owner, Mark, and he said there is no title to this trailer. What do i do? The registration on the LP is up in November. Any help would be great.

Chris

South Florida Lawns
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I bought a used trailer with no title or anything, off a friend. I went to the DMV and told them I built it myself. Without question they gave me a tag and it was about $25. Now if your trailer is more that 2000 lbs like an enclosed you may have problems. And I'm not sure about the rules in your state.

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Did you have to show proof of it? Like receipts for parts and or get it inspected after you received you plate?

Chris

South Florida Lawns
03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
No I even took pics but the people at the DMV never asked to see them, lady there gave me a serial number and told me to engrave it into the frame.

What is the size and weight of your trailer?

Greg78
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
No I even took pics but the people at the DMV never asked to see them, lady there gave me a serial number and told me to engrave it into the frame.

What is the size and weight of your trailer?

Same here. You got to love Florida.

IdealLawnCare
03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Thats what Minnesota does too. They call it a home made trailer.

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
My trailer is 16 feet from tongue to rear. As for the weight i have no idea. Let me post a pic. She isnt the prettiest, but 500 bucks was a good deal.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/Blackdog3/Landscaping/DSC01332.jpg?t=1236122500

Chris

South Florida Lawns
03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
That there is a 6.5-7x12 its probably around 900 lbs. Try and tell them its home built take some pics for proof, make sure there aren't any manufacture stickers/warning decals on it and you should be good to go.

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Ya its a good lil trailer! I know i need to get tires for it. Somebody put regular car tires on it. It works but not exactly right. I was gonna paint it and clean it all up. I have been told its an 85 Eager Beaver trailer. There are no stickers on it. I did ask a friend tonight, and he told me that i could just get a bill of sale and i can get a plate issued if it doesn't have a vin? Is that true?

Chris

4.3mudder
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
That there is a 6.5-7x12 its probably around 900 lbs. Try and tell them its home built take some pics for proof, make sure there aren't any manufacture stickers/warning decals on it and you should be good to go.

No, I think it is a 14 foot, from tongue to rear, form the tongue to the front of the trailer is is 2 foot, then from front of trailer to rear would be 14 foot. Very rare are there 12 foot trailers made with dual axles.

4.3mudder
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Probably 6.4 inches wide, great to put a 72 inch ztr. You shouldnt have to have a VIN, a bill of sale they should accept.

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
What would be considered a Bill of sale? I payed with a check.

Chris

4.3mudder
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
It would have been a piece of paper or invoice stating. "Selling of 14 foot by 6.4 foot trailer to so and so" with both of your signitures on it, and the amount paid. That is the way I had mine done. I can't remember exactly what it said though.

BlackDog3
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Ah, that sucks my friend who sold it to me past away. I wonder if the executor of the will could do it. Thanks dude for helping me out!

Chris

4.3mudder
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
No problem, i would also try to go online to your specific state and find out the requirements on what to put on the paper. You might even be able to print out a form stating such and such.

Thats not a bad deal at all for a 14 foot trailer, especially dual axle. It looks a little rough, but as long as it gets the job done you are all good to go.

Merlin300
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
First of all condolences.....

The executor should be able to write you up a bill of sale. I have been going through the same thing with my mother's estate. My brother bought her Blazer from the estate and I wrote up a bill of sale. No problems from the DMV.

DoetschOutdoor
03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Just go to the dmv or your local title shop and tell them its a homeade trailer. You will not need any bill of sale or most likely anything else. They ask you the specs on it and assign you a new vin and sticker to put on it. Man I had some hooptie trailers back in the day. Illinois is a pain in the butt majorly to transfer stuff with the paperwork (ie, dam jet ski trailer bought from MN) but Ive never had a prob. getting the homeade title and whatnot.

South Florida Lawns
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Just go to the dmv or your local title shop and tell them its a homeade trailer. You will not need any bill of sale or most likely anything else. They ask you the specs on it and assign you a new vin and sticker to put on it. Man I had some hooptie trailers back in the day. Illinois is a pain in the butt majorly to transfer stuff with the paperwork (ie, dam jet ski trailer bought from MN) but Ive never had a prob. getting the homeade title and whatnot.

Thats what I have been saying this whole time.

lifetree
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I bought a used trailer with no title or anything, off a friend. I went to the DMV and told them I built it myself. ...

Where I am you can tell them that you made it yourself and then they will send an inspector out to look at it to make sure that it is road worthy ... at that point they would issue a registration, tag and title !!