PDA

View Full Version : topsoil screen

JLong
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone had ever built/used a "homemade" topsoil screen, and if so what were the results, was it worth it, and do you have any pictures? I'm just looking at my compost pile out back, however there are still sticks, and also some trash mixed in with it.

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
If your only doing small amounts then you might want to find a used Grain Cleaner.

stuvecorp
03-05-2009, 01:12 AM
I haven't seen to much homemade stuff but no reason it couldn't be done. I screen stuff every couple years as it is a good way to recycle but also to bring in some good money. I have rented the smaller Thomas style screeners and they worked okay but were sort of slow. There is a company I found on ebay called Pro Screen that has a good looking screener but is probably more than you were thinking.

allinearth
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
If you figure out a way to make one post it on here cause I would be interested also.

White Gardens
03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
I think next weekend I'm going to finally go pick up the old grain screen from the family farm. I feel I'm going to need it this season and now will be the opportunity to do it before I get busy for the year.

Regardless, I'll get pics of it to show you guys in case it's a direction you want to go to screen material.