PDA

View Full Version : looking for some flower suggestions

topdog
03-03-2009, 07:18 PM
i was looking for a few suggestions on some flowers to plant in aprox 16 concrete urns.* pretty much all are in full sun areas.* they will be planted in about april or may.** thanks for you suggestions.

hackitdown
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Go to the nursery and ask them to put together a mix of plants for your urns.

glfredrick
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Here are a couple of pics of ones we had done last year. these are featured on the President's property (Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY). Part of my task as manager of grounds is to manage the formal gardens that we rennovated last summer -- we spent $75 K on the project.)

The first pic are mixed urns. You may be able to get some ideas of the flower types, and if not, I can probably get the plant sheets from my grower. Our cost is about $40 per urn for these. VERY showy!

The second pic are urns we planted ourselves with red geraniums and spikes. For added interest, add vinca vines to drape over the sides. Our cost is about $20 per urn for these. Keep the geraniums deadheaded and they perform all summer long, even in hot sun. (BTW, deadheading geraniums means snapping off the entire flower stem at where it joins the main stem -- not just popping off the flower head like many other plants. Do that, and they just keep on spreading and growing.)

GracesLandscaping
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
that looks really really nice!

glfredrick
03-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks... That was a complete rennovation last summer. We spent about 250K on the entire affair (incuding house work).

Here's a couple of before shots... Virtually every inch of the grounds was touched. We laid over 3000 yards of sod, plus all the beds, gardens, tuck pointing the home, painting everything, renovation of the brick, walks, roofs, installation of irrigation, etc. All completed in 27 days while the president was away on sabbatical. More, we didn't even have any of the grounds contractors in hand when the project kicked off. My own crew and selected contractors finished the project.

topdog
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
thanks. we were kinda thinking of spikes, but wasn't sure of what to put in with them other than vincas.** what are the plants in the first pics?* you are correct they are very showy.* might try to mix some in different areas to help keep the cost in check.

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Keep in mind too that as the season progresses and the urns become root-bound, they'll need to be watered almost twice a day.

I hate urns, only because you can't put a dish or saucer under it to contain some of the water to extend watering periods.

As for height in the urn I would go with a dracienda(sp?), or smaller elephant ear.

Middle you could do geraniums, or begonias as they tend to be hardy.

As for hanging, go with a variegated vinca, sweet potatoes vine, purple heart, or silver mist.

I like doing things in three, or odd numbers. Never even numbers.

Only suggestions, there are many different plants and configurations to consider.

glfredrick
03-05-2009, 06:22 AM
For urns and pots, try out the new water crystals. Terra Sorb is one brand name, and you can pick that up at John Deere Landscape (Lesco).

The crystals mix with the dirt and retain water (they swell up like little chunks of jello) then allow that water to flow back into the soil as it dries.

They make 2-a-days a thing of the past -- and can even make 1-a-day watering unnecessary.

I'll get the flower list from my grower for the urns and post it. Remember, that is but one suggestion. Just make sure that everything you plant needs to work together, and it needs to deal with either sun or shade, depending on the placement. Things like urns can have very localized needs.

White Gardens
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
For urns and pots, try out the new water crystals. Terra Sorb is one brand name, and you can pick that up at John Deere Landscape (Lesco).

The only problem with the crystals is that if you don't maintain a certain moisture level in the urns then the crystals dry out and actually suck moisture away from the roots. And at that point, just like any basic soil, it's hard to reestablish a consistent moisture level in the urns as the water runs right out of them. (no dish to hold water at the bottom)

I've used them a few times, and I'm not sold on the product. Besides, it seems to me that your adding another man-made product to the soil and "contaminating" it to some degree.

terrapro
03-06-2009, 08:38 PM
your in zone 5 or colder. those are annuals glfredrick planted, if you plant those in April or early May you have a chance of them getting frosted which means lots of money in replacement. wait until May to plant containers.

no offense to the pots glfredrick they look great.

glfredrick
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree! Zones are critical for annuals.

The plants in the pots work well in various zones -- I've lived in central Wisconsin and also Kentucky and used similar in both areas. I always make sure to buy from a LOCAL grower. Big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, and the various "marts" import plants from all over. You never know what you are getting and if it will perform in your zone.

For some of you up nort' guys, we're about to start mowing here in Louisville. We're power seeding right now, and all the spring stuff is up. Some of you have a lot of winter left!

afg
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM

weird question, but you any kin to Grace's from Kirkmansville area?? i'm a Grace in Nashville, but grandparents and rest of family are in Hoptown.

afg
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

The crystals mix with the dirt and retain water (they swell up like little chunks of jello) then allow that water to flow back into the soil as it dries.

They make 2-a-days a thing of the past -- and can even make 1-a-day watering unnecessary.

I'll get the flower list from my grower for the urns and post it. Remember, that is but one suggestion. Just make sure that everything you plant needs to work together, and it needs to deal with either sun or shade, depending on the placement. Things like urns can have very localized needs.

Terra-Sorb will push your flowers up, they expand too much. There is a product out now sold by Sigma Organics in Nashville, I believe called Root Gel. It does not expand, only turns in a gel that allows the water to be taken in more slowly; dried out in tests, in extreme heat, in about 8 days. No need to add more product, just re-wet.... very impressive. It even has a positive charge and plant roots are attracted to it, giving more of a chance for water uptake.

mattfromNY
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Wave petunias w/ geraniums, vinca and a spike in the center look really nice. The petunias grow down the side, intertwining w/ the vinca, and the geraniums provide a bit of dappled shade for them so they dont get too leggy. They also come in many colors.