PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?

Danscapes
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I've got a customer with a horrible paver patio install and they want me to take it all up, adjust the grade then re-lay the existing pavers. The patio is a 12X20 rectangle. I know my costs for installing a new patio but I have never taken up and reinstalled, do you guys have any idea how long this should take one man?

richallseasons
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I would probably ask the customer if I could de construct a small area of it, say one or two square feet so that I could dig in and get a look at the base construction to evaluate exactly what has to be done to re construct it properly then ad the appropriate labor and material needed.

FLCthes4:11-12
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Pulling pavers up should go pretty quick. Can you get to the area with a skid steer or will it all be hand work. Maybe less time than a new patio considering hopefull the excavation is done and adjustments made to the grade of the base.

ParkviewNursery
03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Do what is mentioned, pull up one corner, as well as somwhere in the middle. Check for depth of gravel, and how well it its compacted and go from there...... pickin them up shouldnt be too hard.

btammo
03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Dont forget that you need to CLEAN all pavers, all sides.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Dont forget that you need to CLEAN all pavers, all sides.

Exactly! This is on average 3 cubes of pavers to clean depending on the size paver. Adjust your time for cleaning by a half day or ad a helper to get this done quickly.

LB1234
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I can't give you an exact time, we have done it in the past. As others have stated cleaning the pavers is the biggest pain. Best bet is to have a trowel in one hand and while one hand is picking the paver up the other is cleaning off the sand/stonedust/etc. that is going to be stuck on there. Best bet is to try and have a pallet right next to you so that you have a place to stack them immediately and really only have to move them twice...once to get them up and out of the way and a second time to lay them down.

Sorry I can't provide a specific time.

BOEpavers
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
There is usually a reason the patio looks the way it does and it is usually because the base was done incorrectly. Frequently when we do these jobs the cost for us to correct is more than if we would have quoted to do the job new (subtracting out the cost of the pavers themselves) due to labor to tear up the old pavers, 90% of the time remove the base down to soil because it wasn't installed deep enough or compacted well enough, or there wasn't fabric under and the stone is migrating into the clay, recompact the excavation, install fabric, reinstall the base and purchase any additional required, purchase and install new screed sand, and reinstall the pavers, edge restraint, and poly sand. Keep in mind if there were any cut pavers you'll probably need some extra matching pavers as you'll never get things back exactly, and possibly have to account for additional edge restraint spikes and poly sand or sweep sand, whatever you use.