PDA

View Full Version : Anybody driving an 08' 3500 Duramax

johnnybravo8802
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I've still got my eye on an 08' 3500 for sale up from my house. It's brand new. It's a standard cab base model with the Duramax/Allison and has a 12' flatbed dump with electric hoist. I drove it and really liked it!!! They will sell it for less than $23,000. I have had others, including other dealers, tell me that that price was unbelievable. One guy said that he didn't believe it and thought they were yanking my crank. On one hand, I should hold off on a truck but this is a steal. On the other hand, I never see the Chevy and wonder why-I thought the Duramax/Allison was the sh@#!!! I know I've aske this before but just decided to revisit the Chevy thing.

Gravel Rat
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
If this is a private sale I would be leary why its being sold so cheap is it stolen or ????

MrRob
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
it must not be that good of a price if its still for sale.....

mjealey
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Sorry, but something isn't right if it is that cheap. You never know, they might be really desperate to get rid of it. That truck wouldn't last for more than 2 days around here, whether it was a private seller or dealer. You need to find out how long it has been for sale, and more than a week ask a lot of questions. Run it through carfax also.

Duramax/Allison is a great combination!!!

johnnybravo8802
03-03-2009, 11:46 PM
It's a brand new truck being sold at a dealership. If they are pulling something, I'm not sure what. They really have no reason to be desperate-they are a very large dealership that is the largest Corvette dealer in the South.

GravelyNut
03-04-2009, 07:47 AM
If it sits in the lot too long, they have to start paying interest on it. And taxes. Plus it being a 2008 means it already is a model year old and dropped in value.

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
If it sits in the lot too long, they have to start paying interest on it. And taxes. Plus it being a 2008 means it already is a model year old and dropped in value.
You're exactly right but nobody I talk to can believe the price they have on it, even at that. I had another dealer tell me that they were losing $7000 on the truck and that there was no way he could sell one for that or he would be out of business. It's really odd.

MrRob
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
is it new & did you carfax it? does it have a service history?

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
is it new & did you carfax it? does it have a service history?
As stated before, it's a brand new vehicle.

Tim C.
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Make sure that price includes the dump body, some dealers will give you the price just for the cab chassis and tack on the price of the body on top of the advertised price.

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Make sure that price includes the dump body, some dealers will give you the price just for the cab chassis and tack on the price of the body on top of the advertised price.
It included the entire truck with the dump.

signature lawns
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
You are correct in saying Duramax/Allison is the s@*%. For that price I would jump on

it. Plowing with the diesel is practically effortless (barely any throttle needed). Also

pulling uphills is nothing for that engine/tranny combination.

merrimacmill
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I would jump on that. That is an awesome deal and I do believe it. I know a guy that just bought a 08 2500hd SLE II with a lot of options (back-up senors, power everything, heated mirrors, etc) duramax, and allison with a fisher plow all for 23,000. I bought an 07 3500 dump truck last may for 24,000. I believe it. It is just a matter of talking the deal and finding it as well. GO FOR IT!

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm putting a lot of thought into it. I know that dealers are hurting and want to sell vehicles. I have first hand experience at wheeling and dealing with them-if they want to sell it, they'll deal with you. I did want them to sweat a little, however.:laugh:Overall, I'd like to get some more comments about the 3500, in general.

merrimacmill
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
The 3500 is a nice truck. I have two, an 06 and an 07. My 07 is the same as the 09 (new body style) except mine is a GMC. Its a nice size, fits into residential areas nicely, handles a serious amount of weight, and for what it is, is alright on fuel. I have no complaints about mine, I love it. Great truck. Now you will get guys come on here and tell you all about how its not enough truck and you need an F-550 or a cab over or a topkick 5500 or something because you reach the 12,500 gvwr on the 3500 to fast. But that is comparing apples to oranges. It is what it is. Its not ment to haul 20 yards of material. Its designed to be a good all around "light duty" work truck. And are you going to buy a F-550 or top kick for 23,000??? No your not.

I'm not sure what your uses are for it, but with my GMC 3500 dump truck I can easily haul 8 yards of mulch, 3-4 yards of gravel pack or stone dust, 4 yards of salt, 3 pallets of sod is the most I've ever had to carry and it didn't have any problem with that. Its just a good all around truck. And the duramax is just awesome!!

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures at some point!!

Any specific questions, just ask or send me a pm

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 01:55 PM
The 3500 is a nice truck. I have two, an 06 and an 07. My 07 is the same as the 09 (new body style) except mine is a GMC. Its a nice size, fits into residential areas nicely, handles a serious amount of weight, and for what it is, is alright on fuel. I have no complaints about mine, I love it. Great truck. Now you will get guys come on here and tell you all about how its not enough truck and you need an F-550 or a cab over or a topkick 5500 or something because you reach the 12,500 gvwr on the 3500 to fast. But that is comparing apples to oranges. It is what it is. Its not ment to haul 20 yards of material. Its designed to be a good all around "light duty" work truck. And are you going to buy a F-550 or top kick for 23,000??? No your not.

I'm not sure what your uses are for it, but with my GMC 3500 dump truck I can easily haul 8 yards of mulch, 3-4 yards of gravel pack or stone dust, 4 yards of salt, 3 pallets of sod is the most I've ever had to carry and it didn't have any problem with that. Its just a good all around truck. And the duramax is just awesome!!

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures at some point!!

Any specific questions, just ask or send me a pm
Thanks for the comments!!!

stuvecorp
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
For that price I would go for it. It can't haul alot but it is still very useful. I have a Ford 350 and would switch to a Chevy/GM without any hesitation. Do they have another?:)

johnnybravo8802
03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
For that price I would go for it. It can't haul alot but it is still very useful. I have a Ford 350 and would switch to a Chevy/GM without any hesitation. Do they have another?:)
I just noticed today that they have another flatbed out there now. I'm not sure if it's a dump. I'm not definite that I will buy the dump I drove. If you're interested, you should look at it(Maxie Price in Loganville, Ga.). I'd like to see someone get it at that price, even if I don't. :drinkup:

stuvecorp
03-05-2009, 01:23 AM
I just noticed today that they have another flatbed out there now. I'm not sure if it's a dump. I'm not definite that I will buy the dump I drove. If you're interested, you should look at it(Maxie Price in Loganville, Ga.). I'd like to see someone get it at that price, even if I don't. :drinkup:

I'll check it out. I have seen some low prices on Chevy/GM trucks but they didn't have beds and I can't find the flyer so don't know if it was gas or diesel. I think the new body style is a thumbs up as well.

johnnybravo8802
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll check it out. I have seen some low prices on Chevy/GM trucks but they didn't have beds and I can't find the flyer so don't know if it was gas or diesel. I think the new body style is a thumbs up as well.
They also have a couple of chassis/cabs up there with 4 doors and the Vortec engines but I'm not sure of the prices($33,000 on the sticker). The prices on the windows are much different than what they will actually quote. He gave me a come and drive it and I'll talk to my manager price(Have to be there in person). Talk to Bernard(black salesman) and tell him Paul sent you. Good luck!!!!:drinkup:

MrRob
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
As stated before, it's a brand new vehicle.

its worth a check. It could be one of those vehicles that was wrecked while unloading or in transport....Or showed up at the dealer with a blown engine. It happens all the time...

johnnybravo8802
03-05-2009, 09:56 AM
its worth a check. It could be one of those vehicles that was wrecked while unloading or in transport....Or showed up at the dealer with a blown engine. It happens all the time...
I understand what you're saying but I drove the truck and it seemed fine-felt like a new truck. You think there could still be a chance something is wrong?:confused:

MrRob
03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I understand what you're saying but I drove the truck and it seemed fine-felt like a new truck. You think there could still be a chance something is wrong?:confused:

its worth it to get the records & maybe have a 2nd hand mechanic check it out. You'd be screwed if you bought that truck & it turned out to have a bad tranny or engine....

nnj18
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Theyre not pulling anything, I'm willing to bet they bought it off a dealership that when out of business.

My dodge dealer had three 2008 3500 dumps, diesel, 4x4 for $24k. I tried to buy one but was denied credit....he bought them off a dealer for $19k each a state away that went under.

...I'd jump on it if you can get it and afford it.

lawn king
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
If you do decide to purchase this truck, invest a couple hundred into an attorney to look into the deal! I purchased an 08 3500 allison duramax in december 08. I worked the dealership & salesmen for six months and still paid 32 grand! My rig included plow prep with dual 125 amp alternators, onstar,cloth buckets with console,am/fm/xm/cd, AC,ipod ready,heavy duty towing package, etc. That deal of yours seems too good to be true, i smell a rat?

johnnybravo8802
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
If you do decide to purchase this truck, invest a couple hundred into an attorney to look into the deal! I purchased an 08 3500 allison duramax in december 08. I worked the dealership & salesmen for six months and still paid 32 grand! My rig included plow prep with dual 125 amp alternators, onstar,cloth buckets with console,am/fm/xm/cd, AC,ipod ready,heavy duty towing package, etc. That deal of yours seems too good to be true, i smell a rat?
That's what everybody is saying. I maintain a Dodge dealership and went to them to match the price(I told them they would be my first choice and that I had just stumbled along this Chevy) and they were in the low 30's after they told me they would give me a better deal from doing their maintenance. A salesman I know there personally, told me that they were yanking my crank and that something was real fishy. However, if the deal is legitimate, they said they would jump on it. You have to remember that the salesman called the next day and claimed he could go lower than that!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

TF PLUS
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Hello Stuvecorp,

I was looking to trade in F150 for larger Ford (350) would you care to share why you would switch.

Thanks, Tom

GravelyNut
03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Dodge down here was running 2nd truck for $1 extra at one point. The dealers are getting worried and want to move stock. There are alot of dealers folding up and the stock has to go somehow.

stuvecorp
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello Stuvecorp,

I was looking to trade in F150 for larger Ford (350) would you care to share why you would switch.

Thanks, Tom

Sorry for the highjack, Johnny. If Ford still had the 7.3 or even the new and improved 6.0 I would stick with a Ford but I also don't like the new style Fords. I like the newer Chevy/GM style better.

Back to the issue, If the dealer gives a full warranty and you drove it and thought it was okay why not? Hard to beat at that price.

Gravel Rat
03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Lets put it this way if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. That truck here in B.C. would easily be 40,000 dollars.

You sign the papers on the truck then the dealer turns around and does something you could end up owing alot more than you bargained for.

Petr51488
03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds stupid, but if your buying it from the dealer don't you get the standard warrenty?

ppl
03-06-2009, 12:04 AM
I bought my 06 crew cab diesel for 33,500.00 out the door in 06 it is a duramax allison. If the dealler wants to move the truck they can. But, it is a chevy and it will have it's problems.

TF PLUS
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry for the highjack, Johnny. If Ford still had the 7.3 or even the new and improved 6.0 I would stick with a Ford but I also don't like the new style Fords. I like the newer Chevy/GM style better.

Back to the issue, If the dealer gives a full warranty and you drove it and thought it was okay why not? Hard to beat at that price.

I apologize as well Johnny, did not intend to be a High-Jack of thread.

Thank you for the info stuvcorp.

Tom

merrimacmill
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Lets put it this way if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. That truck here in B.C. would easily be 40,000 dollars.

You sign the papers on the truck then the dealer turns around and does something you could end up owing alot more than you bargained for.

If he is looking at buying a brand new truck for his business, I'm sure he has his stuff together enough to read any "fine print" that might be there. There is not to much a dealer can hide on a deal when it comes to how much your paying them for the truck. Esp if your writing a check for it.

johnnybravo8802
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
If he is looking at buying a brand new truck for his business, I'm sure he has his stuff together enough to read any "fine print" that might be there. There is not to much a dealer can hide on a deal when it comes to how much your paying them for the truck. Esp if your writing a check for it.
That's my thought exactly. If the dealer puts $23,000 on a piece of paper, then how can he change that at the final stages? Maybe I'm missing something. The only thing that has made a slight difference in the price in the past is when they add taxes, and that's expected.

jaybird24
03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
We paid around $36,000 last summer for one, we worked them for 2 months, they would not go any lower with 0% financing. That is a deal.

As far as them putting something in there, you'd be surprised how they slip little processing fees in there and such, I'm sure the truck is new, but as one poster stated read everything, and if nothing else have an attorney look at the paperwork.

T.Brandon
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Very nice trucks, For mardi gras I parked in an empty lot. My truck sunk (2006 ford f-350 fx4) and I had one pull me out and pulled me with out a strain

tras
03-09-2009, 11:25 PM
If that price is for real, jump on it. I love mine, and my buddy has 5 of them(all 2008's). Cant go wrong.