PDA

View Full Version : what do you charge

resurectionlawn
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
what do you guys charge per sq ft to install pavers

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
03-04-2009, 06:45 PM
100 bucks! Seriously do a search and you'll get a wide range of answers. You have to see what it cost to run your business and go from there. SQFT pricing will just give you headaches.

Bru75
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
100 bucks! Seriously do a search and you'll get a wide range of answers. You have to see what it cost to run your business and go from there. SQFT pricing will just give you headaches.

Agreed! With sq. ft. pricing somebody loses, sometimes you, sometimes the owner. Look at each job individually and figure the price.

ford550
03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Don't charge per SF!!!!!! Estimate the job, every job is different!! We don't sell pavers, we sell labor hours.

LB1234
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
We don't charge by the square foot but after all is said in done after the job is completed we can be anywhere from as low as 12-13 per square up towards 25 per square.

I'd lose my shorts if I decided to simply charge by the square. To many variables.

zedosix
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't charge per SF!!!!!! Estimate the job, every job is different!! We don't sell pavers, we sell labor hours.

Directly outta paver Petes mouth!

kootoomootoo
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
is a sq ft 16x16 or 12x12?

wurkn with amish
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
i'VE SEEN A SQUARE AND EVEN A CIRCLE ONCE..... BUT NEVER A SQUARE FOOT! SHOES ARE PROBABLY HARD TO FIND.

BrandonV
03-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i'll do it for 50¢ less than he will

PatriotLandscape
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
the current rate for going broke slowly is 12 per square. :)

Seriously if everyone charged the same amount this wouldnt be a very good business.

Bush_Baron
03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
You will have to get a few paver installs under your belt before you can do accurate estimates. Do-it-Yourself books make it look so easy. Some other posters brought up some points, every job is different. Pavers are different. How will you finish the edges? If the pavers do not have straight edges, or you are doing a herring bone design, you will have to saw the edges straight. This is very time consuming....trust me. A new patio, even a small one makes a dramatic visual impact that may be overwhelming to the customer. I like to soften the impact with landscaping, or at minimum, new turf grass around the pavers. Use polyurethane block cement to fill all joints around the outer edges so the paver sand does not leak out, creating voids in the joints, even if you use a metal edge. You will get a call back for this. Different paver manufacturers have different install methods. Some pavers require the use of a plate vibrator to set the stones. Some pavers will crack when set with a plate vibrator. If your customer has fallen in love with a certain paver, go to the paver's website for installation instructions before you quote a price. Don’t forget to slope the pavers for drainage. If you are doing a large project, use a transit. If you want to do a square foot price method, be willing to work for minimum wages on some jobs, or maybe even hope you break even on some.

JDavisLandscapes
03-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Never estimate by SQ footage. Factor in your Overhead, total job costs, and your profit margins. A brick paver job could be right in the front of the house on a walkway and a driveway with easy access and not include many intricate cuts. While another job could be all the way in the back of a yard that is hard to get to with a ton of curves and harder cuts. If you estimated by sq. footage you would make out great on the walkway or driveway,(or not get the job at all). Then you would almost lose money on the patio in the backyard b/c of all the added man hours of work.

I never price based on Sq. footage. I always fiigure out exactly what the job will cost me and track my previous jobs and use them as references. I also tell the customer why my prices might be a bit higher(polymetric sand or geotextile),and give them an overview of my installation methods(up to ICPI standards.) This lands me many of my jobs while also being the higher price. It also makes the other contractors look stupid when they can't answer questions from the newly INFORMED homeowner.

B & B Yardscape
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Every brick paver project has a sq.ft. price. It depends on when you use it/figure it out.

Example: If you use $12/sq.ft. to estimate a 10x10 project cost then it would be $1200

Example: If when you are done a 10x10 project had a total cost of $1200, then you know the sq.ft. cost was $12

You shouldn't use your sq.ft. charge to figure your project cost. You should use your project cost to figure your sq.ft. charge.

Does that make sense?

zedosix
03-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Every brick paver project has a sq.ft. price. It depends on when you use it/figure it out.

Example: If you use $12/sq.ft. to estimate a 10x10 project cost then it would be $1200

Example: If when you are done a 10x10 project had a total cost of $1200, then you know the sq.ft. cost was $12

You shouldn't use your sq.ft. charge to figure your project cost. You should use your project cost to figure your sq.ft. charge.

Does that make sense?

No, not at all. I noticed your 6"x6" retaining walls had no tie backs? How do you prevent your walls from leaning forward and falling.

riverwalklandscaping
03-07-2009, 11:10 AM
the only people that should charge per square foot for pavers are the people at the paver store... you could have two jobs exactly the same, one with quicksand under the pavers and tree roots and power/utility lines and gopher holes and legal issues and so on and so forth and another with none of these issues, if you charge per square foot you'd loose your shirt on one, and rip off the customer on the other

B & B Yardscape
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
No, not at all. I noticed your 6"x6" retaining walls had no tie backs? How do you prevent your walls from leaning forward and falling.

What are you talking about? All my walls have "deadmen" and I have not had a wall fall over or lean.

kootoomootoo
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
the only people that should charge per square foot for pavers are the people at the paver store... you could have two jobs exactly the same, one with quicksand under the pavers and tree roots and power/utility lines and gopher holes and legal issues and so on and so forth and another with none of these issues, if you charge per square foot you'd loose your shirt on one, and rip off the customer on the other

So they cancel each other out and the result is the same..