PDA

View Full Version : Best Spring Gate Assist

GravelyGuy
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
What do you guys think is the best gate assist out there for your trailer ramp gate?

My gate is at the welding shop right now getting reinforced and extended. It was heavy before and now it will literally be a back breaker to work with every day.

It needs to be able to handle a lot of weight and I need to be able to get it pretty quickly. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

OrangeToys
03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
I use gorillalift. I can pick up my 5ft gate with one finger. I have two lifts on it.

seabee1
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/249_landscape_trailer_accessories.htmlthe one that j Thomas make looks good !

GravelyGuy
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys.

South Florida Lawns
03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
get a garage door spring a piece of PVC pipe and some hooks and build your own for cheap

lifetree
03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I have the Rack Em gate lift assist ... the "double barrel" ... and love it !!

ELEGATOR
04-09-2009, 09:21 PM
There are different specifications for several different applications of heavy-duty extension springs ranging from farming equipment to construction equipment for industrial uses. Even as there are several different types of lawn mowers and landscaping equipment for specific uses and applications. With a garage door spring that you can purchase at a local hardware used for a horizontal overhead application, the diameter of the spring steel ranges between 1/8" -3/16" diameter and has a pull force between 50 - 190 lbs., depending upon the manufacturer and weight of the garage door, with safe lengths between 60 - 72 inches full extension. Also depending on the weight of the garage door and the pull force of the extension spring. At the ends of this type of extension spring there are double loops. In the manufacturing process of the loops there is a sharp bend so the double loop is approximately at a 90 degree angle from the coils. When fully relaxed all the coils are closed. This is the way this type of extension spring was designed to work horizontally, to work in conjunction with an overhead 1/4 to 1/2 horsepower garage door opener.

The specification for the industrial engineered eLegator spring steel is 1/4" diameter; pull force is 234 - 240 lbs.; 24" in length when fully closed, with C-clips (saddle straps) attached at both ends to the coils. The C-clips are rated at 240 lbs. to eliminate the double loop. The eLegator extension spring is mounted vertically on the trailer. eLegator is specifically designed so when it is mounted at specific points in accordance with the Instruction Manual on the trailer and trailer gate, the coils are never fully closed or relaxed as a horizontal garage door spring. The specifically engineered anchor eyelet bolts are: 125,000 lbs. PSI tensile alloy steel (Grade 5-6). When mounted correctly according to the manual when the trailer tailgate is down and the extension spring is fully adjusted, in this position the extension spring was designed not to reach its total safe length. Any further information or specifications of eLegator, visit www.elegator.com