PDA

View Full Version : The Ugly truck gets some paint -- Need Opinon

Classified
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I posted this on plowsite as well-

No the frame isnt bent, but it sure looks like in the pics.

My chevy had a company specific paint job when I bought it last year. I painted the cab black but left the box the green color. I bought brown paint for it but didnt get the time to paint it last year.

I used a single stage automotive paint shot out of a HVLP spray gun. I have never painted before so there is a learning process here and im getting better,LOL.

Ill stop blabbing in a second, chances are, you looked at the pics already anyway. But I am also getting a Ford F-350 reg cab long bed in a few weeks and I am going to paint it the same as my 03 ford. I was CONTEMPLATING painting the chevy the same color and just making it my theme from here on out. But I wanted to paint the chevy bed anyway since I dont know if I want to shoot the chevy with paint that costs $350 a gallon. BUT If I do paint it with that paint, I would paint the bed black with the left over paint from the cab.

OK OK here are the pics, what would you do? I know its terrible lighting, Ill get better pics tomorrow but here it is for now.

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4368&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4369&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4370&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4371&g2_serialNumber=3

hondarancher4435
03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
looks great man

Kennedy Landscaping
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
That thing has alot of springs. Looks good!

IntegrityGuy
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Paint job looks A+ 100%.

Should have used black though.

Classified
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
That thing has alot of springs. Looks good!

Ha, yeah it does. 11 leafs! They hold a load but sag more than I thought they would and I checked, none of them are cracked.

Classified
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Paint job looks A+ 100%.

Should have used black though.

Thanks!

I thought about that but with the black cab, black wheels, and the black bed, I think it would be a little much, I dunno. I may paint the other side black tomorrow and see what I like better and Ill of course post pics.

btnj47
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
you did a great job painting it . I would agree black might look better, just get some chrome simulators on it to break up the all black theme. But either way it still looks good

Lucky Star Lawn Care
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks!

I thought about that but with the black cab, black wheels, and the black bed, I think it would be a little much, I dunno. I may paint the other side black tomorrow and see what I like better and Ill of course post pics.

Would be murdered out!! I say paint it black and slap some advertising on it....kinda looks like your hauling a big turd lol

Classified
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
If it helps, pic #3 is the most accurate depiction of the color. I am going to be repainting the wheels black and I am waiting on some stock front fender flares to come in. I will be painting them the same color as the bed if I stick with it.

Travis E
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
If the truck had your decals, it would look better. Also I would agree with doing something else to the wheels. Painting it like your current Ford would be good looking too.

Classified
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Elwer

I will be lettering it up finally. The doors and something on the bed to break it up if I stick with the brown.

The brown is like the dark brickman brown color

Travis E
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks Elwer

I will be lettering it up finally. The doors and something on the bed to break it up if I stick with the brown.

The brown is like the dark brickman brown color

Your logo has brown in it so having it on the doors may tie in the color of the bed.

Classified
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Your logo has brown in it so having it on the doors may tie in the color of the bed.

True, and its the same color brown too hence the color of the paint. I will have to take another look at tomorrow but the paint for the bed was just shy of $200 so Id hate to just basically toss it out so I may just finish the job. It would look cool "Murdered Out" too but I dont want to do that. I think it would look BA the same color as my truck though. Arg, cant decide, LOL.

wayside
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
pm'ed you..........

02DURAMAX
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Throw some flat black paint on the truck frame.

other than that it looks good!

South Florida Lawns
03-05-2009, 01:53 AM
wait so the brown is paint not primer? Hmmm, the job looks good but I'm not a fan of that brown. I'd have gone with black, maybe even flat to keep it different from the cab.

Classified
03-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Throw some flat black paint on the truck frame.

other than that it looks good!

The frame and under the bed is next. I am putting a new hoist on and I am going to paint the underneath of the bed and the frame. I wish POR15 wernt so expensive otherwise id spray it all with that. its pretty rusty under there.

wait so the brown is paint not primer? Hmmm, the job looks good but I'm not a fan of that brown. I'd have gone with black, maybe even flat to keep it different from the cab.

No its not primer,LOL. Primer isnt glossy but the lighting is terrible, it was getting dark out so thats all with the flash on. The 3rd pic is the best representation of the color

MIlawncareservice
03-05-2009, 02:20 AM
an honest opinion from the picture it is about as ugly if i think about it but dosent draw my attentiopn as being ugly just a normal looking truck Paint looks good just the color from what I saw. Personally I like to save $$ so Id went to TSC and bought a $30 gallon of tractor paint and used a roller to paint it like I do to older snowplows and it lasts forever and is tough. Cab of truck looks real nice anyhow.

Classified
03-05-2009, 02:50 AM
an honest opinion from the picture it is about as ugly if i think about it but dosent draw my attentiopn as being ugly just a normal looking truck Paint looks good just the color from what I saw. Personally I like to save $$ so Id went to TSC and bought a $30 gallon of tractor paint and used a roller to paint it like I do to older snowplows and it lasts forever and is tough. Cab of truck looks real nice anyhow.

Thanks for your opinion. Im not settled on it which is why I posted. It does look better in person wit hthe light I had. I cant wait to see it tomorrow in daylight.

I wish we had a TSC around here or any farm type store. Unless farm and fleet carries that stuff, I dont know. Plus im not sure if i would want to paint a vehicle with a roller, I would think it would turn out pretty rough.

Thanks for your input though!

woodbutcher44
03-05-2009, 02:55 AM
now paint the wheels and your a-1

Junior M
03-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks!

I'd do that, except I'd throw a set of simulators on it.. Give it a little pop..

ojpent
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
You should paint the frame and all the understide thats exposed with either a good undercoating or a etching black primer sealer.. Looks great for your first time spraying, congrats..

oakhillslandscaping
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
your paint skills are fine but that brown with a black cab isnt the best compination in my opinion no offense and it is your truck so do what you want, i liked the old color better

South Florida Lawns
03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah if you painted the wheels the same brown and did some brown vinyl lettering on the front fenders or doors to tie it in I think it would look pretty dang cool actually.

IntegrityGuy
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
no that brown has to go. it looks like the terdster.

Paint the bed shiney black and the wheels stock grey/silver.

Green Finger
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice truck.

Good strong work truck. Tough:weightlifter:

nnj18
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd paint the cab blue like the color of your ford and the dump silver....look very charp imo

Classified
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok I pulled it out in direct sunlight today and it looks like my original idea was a good one so it going to be brown!

I did my best to illustrate the complete look. The front fender flares will look a hell of alot better than the ms paint ones on there now :rolleyes:

Also the logo isnt complete because I was not able to import the logo very well but this gives a good idea.

So NOW what do you think?????

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4374&g2_serialNumber=2

Junior M
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I like that alot better, its really dark though, I think I'd add some simulators(I like simulators on this body style GM if you couldnt tell :laugh:) or some stainless underbody boxes just to brighten it up a little bit..

Classified
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
SWEET!

Im debating simulators. they arent cheap though! I would like some underbody boxes but they arent cheap either! Well see, I just wish the truck wasnt such a rust bucket, otherwise id pour a fair amount of money into it.

Junior M
03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
SWEET!

Im debating simulators. they arent cheap though! I would like some underbody boxes but they arent cheap either! Well see, I just wish the truck wasnt such a rust bucket, otherwise id pour a fair amount of money into it.
Yeah, but that truck will last just about forever if you take care of it and they are getting to the age where you can start buying whole cabs from junk yards and places..

they are expensive, but just remember your image is everything..

Classified
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh for sure, image is huge, thats why im painting it! LOL The dump bed and the cab need to be replaced, that is how bad it is. They will all last a good 2-3 years if I use it during the summer only. I just dont think it would be worth spending 4 grand on a new flatbed and hoist and another grand or so on the cab. We will see though!! If I get 2-3 seasons out of it I will have got far more than my monies worth and hope to buy something newer. I also have a 99 F350 that I will be painting the same as my truck in the background there. It will be used to tow the maintenance trailer. The Chevy will jsut be used for mulch, bush trimming, and leaf cleanups.

Junior M
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh for sure, image is huge, thats why im painting it! LOL The dump bed and the cab need to be replaced, that is how bad it is. They will all last a good 2-3 years if I use it during the summer only. I just dont think it would be worth spending 4 grand on a new flatbed and hoist and another grand or so on the cab. We will see though!! If I get 2-3 seasons out of it I will have got far more than my monies worth and hope to buy something newer. I also have a 99 F350 that I will be painting the same as my truck in the background there. It will be used to tow the maintenance trailer. The Chevy will jsut be used for mulch, bush trimming, and leaf cleanups.
Oh, I see, well if this one isnt goin to be used day after day, I wouldnt sink to much money in it..

J&R Landscaping
03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Truck looks good!

Travis E
03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks better doug, Maybe go to the junk yard or make some cheap running boards for it, that is an option that may really tie in the truck.

Classified
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I have been debating putting new doors/new cab on the truck as I just mentioned but I just found these MIRRORS (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000192294/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10465318/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000019229410465318)

They are a little pricey but would look much better than the stainless steel structures on the doors!

mow & snow
03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I would put the black flares on, paint the frame black and paint the rims and box silver.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Ok I pulled it out in direct sunlight today and it looks like my original idea was a good one so it going to be brown!

I did my best to illustrate the complete look. The front fender flares will look a hell of alot better than the ms paint ones on there now :rolleyes:

Also the logo isnt complete because I was not able to import the logo very well but this gives a good idea.

So NOW what do you think?????

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4374&g2_serialNumber=2

I like that doo doo brown paint!!:laugh::laugh:

Classified
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I would put the black flares on, paint the frame black and paint the rims and box silver.

The whole truck is dark colored because of the rust. A light color like silver would be brown in no time! The dark colors help to hide the rough texture of the metal under it and the rust stains that come through.

I appreciate you input though, I agree, that would be a mean looking setup!

jiggz
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
LOOKS GOOD!!!

Now go to Pep Boys .. and get a can of the rubberized black spray Undercoat.. and shoot that frame n springs.. another 6 bucks and itll totally finish that puppy off.. nothing burns my ass more then a decent looking truck with a nasty frame lol

jiggz
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
If it helps, pic #3 is the most accurate depiction of the color. I am going to be repainting the wheels black and I am waiting on some stock front fender flares to come in. I will be painting them the same color as the bed if I stick with it.

Just an idea,, most machine shops ill sandblast rims for like 10 bucks a piece.. get a nice base for the paint to stick to

jiggz
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
LMAO!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYeaKyJ24Y&feature=related

nnj18
03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
why not get it sand blasted then? or sell it and get something a little better condition?

Classified
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
why not get it sand blasted then? or sell it and get something a little better condition?

I may blast the frame but there is no reason to get rid of the truck if it works. :hammerhead: It doesnt look THAT bad. Its just bad up close. If I can run it until it dies, then my initialmoney invested into it will go much farther. Plus there is no payments! :cool2:

nnj18
03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
hey you were the one saying you dont like the body (replacing doors and rust problems) not me....just a suggestion. I mean if silver paint is going to turn to brown then somethings wrong.

I think it'd look beautiful with a matching paint job of the ford....jmo

Classified
03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
hey you were the one saying you dont like the body (replacing doors and rust problems) not me....just a suggestion. I mean if silver paint is going to turn to brown then somethings wrong.

I think it'd look beautiful with a matching paint job of the ford....jmo

Where did I say I didnt like the body?? I said its rusty and I would love to replace it and put new doors on it to use the newer towing mirror style. Otherwise i would have about eight 1/2" holes in each door.

I agree that it would look awesome with the ford paint but if I follow your logic correctly, beacuse I cannot paint the truck bed silver in fear of the rust showing through, I should get rid of the truck? Its a 93 and has been a work truck since day one, its rusty, I bought it at the tail end of its life and I will paint it and use it until it dies. I love the body style of these old chevies and id love to find another one sometime next year. The flatbed is rusty and the cab is rusty, thre is a hole in the floor (air conditioning), but the frame is in decent condition and the engine and trans are rebuilt not too long ago. good enough to run a few more years. For the price I paid, I am getting far more than my monies worth keeping instead of dumping it a year after I bought it.

Lbilawncare
03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I think it looks good with the lettering and the matching fenderflares. It really stands out. I agree a cheap coat of paint on the frame will help a lot.

Classified
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks!!

Man I am not going to take one more picture until I spray the frame down!!LOL One step at a time here ! LOL

I am actually going to spray used motor oil on the frame, it removes rust and looks just like black paint. the black spots on the frame are all oil. I didnt spray the back because I was going to paint it with POR15 but changed my mind and then never sprayed it with oil,LOL. But I am going to now put it on the TOP TOP of the list, LOL.

Classified
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM
OK well I painted the whole thing today. It just needs one more thin coat but it wont look too much different than it does now except for the lines in the paint. Problem is, my air compressor is only a 30 gallon tank and it cant seem to keep up with the demand of the spray gun making my air come out les and less as I paint.

The next photos I take, it will be all lettered up! :clapping:

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4426&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4429&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4439&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4441&g2_serialNumber=3

STIHL GUY
03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
lookin good

Classified
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I managed to get a replacememt panel for the passenger side rear ext cab that was rusted out. I actually cut the section out last spring and realized that I didnt have the right material to patch in a new panel. So it stayed cut open as you can see in post 49 abouve.

I never did this type of work and I think it turned out great. I didnt care to make it look perfect since it is just a work truck but it looks a lot better than it used too!

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6500&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6503&g2_serialNumber=4

During the winter I want to do the rockers and the ext cab rear panel on the other side. Should be fun!

ALSO..... In the first and second pic the door isnt closed all the way. The panel is lined up straight!

M RASCOE&SONS
03-20-2009, 02:48 PM
did a good job .you mig weld everything in ?

Swampy
03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
The panel lines are a little off but hey it looks nice as long as you like it since its your truck. As for paint on the box I would have painted all the pillars, door structure members, and box skirting black to tie it in with the rest of the truck. But then there is more taping and such.

But I'm with you on the paint over rust thing. My 94 Dodge is getting hit with the rust plague pretty bad this past winter it needs to hit the body/paint shop this year.

Classified
03-20-2009, 10:07 PM
did a good job .you mig weld everything in ?

Thanks, yeah its all welded in

The panel lines are a little off but hey it looks nice as long as you like it since its your truck. As for paint on the box I would have painted all the pillars, door structure members, and box skirting black to tie it in with the rest of the truck. But then there is more taping and such.

But I'm with you on the paint over rust thing. My 94 Dodge is getting hit with the rust plague pretty bad this past winter it needs to hit the body/paint shop this year.

Like I said, the lines arent off, the door isnt closed all the way. They line up perfectly. It would look cool with the black accents but I dont care enough, its a rusty work truck. Once I get it lettered it will look a lot better.

albhb3
03-21-2009, 12:11 AM
ya know for some reason i was hoping for Black Green and tan with a mudflap girl down both sides

Classified
03-21-2009, 12:16 AM
ya know for some reason i was hoping for Black Green and tan with a mudflap girl down both sides

Ill tell you what, You buy the truck, ill throw in the paint job and paint mudflap girls on for free:drinkup:

afg
03-21-2009, 09:25 PM
ranch hand bumper..... mean lookin truck.

Classified
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I got the fender flares painted and mounted on. I love the way it turned out so now its time to get the logos on. Hopefully Ill have that done in a week or two.

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7777&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7780&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.mobileaudioguy.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7783&g2_serialNumber=3

Yes, I know the jackstand is down, I was just moving the trailer.

Junior M
03-27-2009, 03:05 PM
A set of simulators and some letter like you were talking about would make that truck look awesome!!

Kennedy Landscaping
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
A set of simulators and some letter like you were talking about would make that truck look awesome!!

I agree, but I'm still not liking that brown too much. But you like it so all is good. Have fun with the season!

nnj18
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
now it looks good ;)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/JJLMC/Shop_day_023.jpg

South Florida Lawns
03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
truck looks great. Those colors make it look tough. I like the wheels too. I like black wheels for some reason. Simulators are for fags.

Junior M
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
truck looks great. Those colors make it look tough. I like the wheels too. I like black wheels for some reason. Simulators are for fags.
I got an obsession with putting sims on these trucks for some reason. black wheels are for fags. :p :laugh:

But yeah they are tough colors, but I think it could use something to shine it up, simulators and the lettering.. :cool2:

Classified
03-28-2009, 12:29 AM

LMAO, I like the black wheels too.