PDA

View Full Version : Electric dump wont dump?

Chris B.
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I bought an older dump truck, it's a 76 chevy c30 with a 454.
The problem is the electric dump wont lift a load of mulch. I looked at the cylinder and it doesnt appear to be leaking, what else should I check or change before I take it to a shop.

P.S. It dumps empty and with a load I can get under it with another person and push with my legs while some1 hits the button and it lifts.

Any ideas?

luis@NJ
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Im no pro but maybe the motor or the pump is weak and it works off a battery
so it could be one of those things.

seabee1
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM
how wet is the mulch ? if the pump runs and is not screaming like it is low on fluid ,the pump may be low on pressure .get it up ,unload it ,check the oil .if alls ok will it lift it empty ? it may be worn out :usflag:

Littleriver1
03-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it's just the battery. It takes a big time battery to push all that. They run between $150 and $200.

LCPullman
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I have seen some trucks with electric dump where you have to put the engine on a high idle, or simply push the gas petal, to lift the bed with a load. Though I've seen it kill the engine when it didn't have enough power, so that might not be your problem.

We have a one ton dump bed with a PTO drive, it'll lift 7 tons.

bobbyr
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
i would take it to a hydrolic shop and have them turn up the relief valve for you i do not reckamend doing this on your own unless you have the correct pressure guages to keep from turning it up to far. besides with it being that old ther is probly a couple of hose they will want to change before doing it to keep you from having a accident

cantoo
03-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I hope you're not actually underneath the hoist when you are "lifting" it by hand. Do you think you and your friend can hold the 1000 lbs or so the bed weighs?
Sounds like you are low on fluid or air in the system. You can usually bleed the air out by loosening the hydraulic line from underneath the truck bed, mkae sure you keep all body parts out of the pitch points.