PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Xtreme 3 Place Racks on 5x8 open utility

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
It is finally going to get warm enough here in MN for me to get in my shop and get my Xtreme racks mounted on my 5x8 trailer. For those that have them for their open utilities....how did you mount them? I have heard several say that just mounting to the top rail resulted in rack sway and I don't want any part of that. Has anyone used the alternate mounting instructions for a more secure mount OR has anyone used the Xtreme extensions for a better mount?

Also, I am strongly thinking of mounting the rack to the front of my trailer instead of the passenger side rail. Any opinions on this?

LCPullman
03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
I haven't actually mounted an Xtreme, but I mount my racks to the front of the trailer, its a better place for me.

South Florida Lawns
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Here this dude already did what you want to do. I see from the pic what you are talking about with nothing to tie the two together. I would never waste my money on a rack like that, and have it not stable enough. I got a rack that can support my truck and I know its secure. Good luck!

Matt TrailerRacks.com
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
It is finally going to get warm enough here in MN for me to get in my shop and get my Xtreme racks mounted on my 5x8 trailer. For those that have them for their open utilities....how did you mount them? I have heard several say that just mounting to the top rail resulted in rack sway and I don't want any part of that. Has anyone used the alternate mounting instructions for a more secure mount OR has anyone used the Xtreme extensions for a better mount?

Also, I am strongly thinking of mounting the rack to the front of my trailer instead of the passenger side rail. Any opinions on this?

If you use extensions any sway will be eliminated. Most trailers we have encountered have rails that are strong enough to support the rack without needing these, however if you want to be sure you can use the extensions. There are other mounting methods to mount it to your trailer also, please see:

http://www.trailerracks.com/xtremeinstructions.pdf

The alternate mount method works really really well. If you have any more questions feel free to call or email.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Update - I went ahead and mounted the racks to the top-passenger side rail of my 5x8 trailer. I was able to mount both uprights over a support, so I went for it. The alternate mount method looks solid, but would have required I drill though some pretty thick steel so I passed. I also passed on a front trailer mount - with a 5 foot trailer the trimmers just stick too far beyond the sides of the trailer for my comfort.