PDA

View Full Version : How To Handle Multiple Wires At The Transformer

MEXANDME
03-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I have a 300W MT transformer with a single common lug. I have two (2) #8 wires and one (1) # 12 wire leaving the transformer. All three (3) wires will not fit under the single common lug. I know there are several ways to handle this but, in the professional's opinions, what is the BEST way? Should I use a separate terminal block to terminate the three (3) wires on and then run one (1) #8 jumper to the transformer? Should I use a split-bolt clamps for the three (3) wires with a #8 pigtail to the transformer? Your opinions, please. (The reason I have two (2) #8 runs leaving the transformer is because the loop is 275 feet from the transformer and I have six (6) 20W bulbs. Three (3) on each #8 lead. The #8 runs for 125 feet of the 275 feet run and the balance is #10.)

Thanks,

Mex

JoeyD
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
You can just run an 8ga jumper wire and wire nut or connect to the end of that but be sure not to exceed the 380 watt rating of the 8ga cable.

MEXANDME
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. The total load on the transformer is only 140 Watts, i.e., seven (7) 20 Watt lights.

Thanks!!!

Mex

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I can see this thread turning into another review of "Big Lugs". :)

Mike Gambino has some pretty nice lugs on his transformer.
I have always appreciated the big lugs on the Nightscaping Powercenters.

Who else out there has nice big lugs?

JoeyD
03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Well personally I have big lugs.......LMAO

But seriously the only reason we have never been a fan of big lugs in a transformer is if you only run one cable into the lug you leave a lot of open room for arching which can result in a meltdown.....Hence why we have 3 smaller holes in one single lug....Our I-Force and NEW H-Force units have a larger single barrell lug though.....

MAGLIGHTING
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I can see this thread turning into another review of "Big Lugs". :)

Mike Gambino has some pretty nice lugs on his transformer.
I have always appreciated the big lugs on the Nightscaping Powercenters.

Who else out there has nice big lugs?

Thank you James that was very kind of you to say.

worx
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Joey, what is the new H force?

MAGLIGHTING
03-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Well personally I have big lugs.......LMAO

But seriously the only reason we have never been a fan of big lugs in a transformer is if you only run one cable into the lug you leave a lot of open room for arching which can result in a meltdown.....Hence why we have 3 smaller holes in one single lug....Our I-Force and NEW H-Force units have a larger single barrell lug though.....

Possible although it has never once happened to me and I've been using big lug transformers for a very long time. You just have to be carefull that you have all of the wire strands inside the lug, torque it down and then give a firm tug on all wires to make sure they are tight. No problem.

LightYourNight
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
mike gambino what transformer are you using?

MAGLIGHTING
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
mike gambino what transformer are you using?

Gambino Magnum transformer.

S&MLL
03-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Is it based of a mdl?

MAGLIGHTING
03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Take the best features of all the transformers out there. Add some proprietary features such as 8 independant power taps 11.5-15V, 2 commons per each 25 amp circuit. Very solid and accurate .5 V regulation between taps ie-15V output at 15V tap under full load with 120V prmary.
LED cabinet work lights, Magnetic breakers on the secondary and primary, plus thermal on the primary, built in surge protection, built in and switched LED indicator lights, plug and hardwire capability, several different generous sized knockouts under low and primary voltage compartments, Huge wiring compartment, Transformer is field serviceable as all parts are connected with stainless steel screws no rivets, Capacity to house several different control modules and you have the Magnum available in 600VA and 300VA models.

irrig8r
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Everything I hear about this trans makes it seem like an installer's wet dream.

Is it UL rated?

JoeyD
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Mike makes one of the nicer units avialable.

We have gone to using more larger open lugs to plese the masses and so far in the I-Force things haev worked out.

The H-Force is a new Transformer we have coming out in the next 30-40 days or so that has 13 common taps, each one equipped with ts own secondary fuse so essentially every home run you pull into it will have its own common tap to wire too. The unit will come in 1500 and 1838watts! There are far to many features to list right now.......plus I dont have all the specs yet so just know it is oging to be N I C E!!!

irrig8r
03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
1838 Watts?

Lemme guess.... you're rounding down to that to confuse people about the whole UL1838 issue?

Or (on a more positive note) to remind them (if it is) that it's 1838 compliant?

irrig8r
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
BTW, I meant no disrespect calling MG's transformer a wet dream... I meant it as a sincere compliment...

I'm also assuming that the only time I'll ever get my hands on one is in my dreams...

JoeyD
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I just got word thatthe H-Force should be available within 10 days!! No it seriously is 1838watts and it just happeend to be the most we could work out of that core...LOL..Coincidence, a funny one at that!!! I will call it the 1800 for lack of confusion!

irrig8r
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
That is a very strange coincidence... and a huge transformer... please send me specs when available.

TXNSLighting
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeh i would like specs as well Joey. Thanks!

MAGLIGHTING
03-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Everything I hear about this trans makes it seem like an installer's wet dream.

Is it UL rated?

It's in the process of being tested.