PDA

View Full Version : It's a dry world...Or seems that way

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Driving home from Fort Collins and everything looks so dry. No snow cover anywhere. Every pond has white banks, I'm assuming salt deposits. Is that water even safe? Now I'm going from Amarillo to Dallas through the heart of the Texas drought. Went and visited all the Fort Collins supply houses and one counter girl asked me to come to a water feature seminar the next day. I almost broke into my EVIL EYE but held back and politely declined. Ran into two counter girls and three dogs at the FC area supply houses. Should be fun. Can't decide whether to drop my HOWDY greeting or make everybody suffer it.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
If you get into one supply house, does that get you into all their branches? I'll do whatever I can for you in the Springs. Introduce you to the local managers or sales reps, talk to other contractors. But the contractors I've talked to about remotes are the same as I have been up until now. Don't have a remote and reluctant to start.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Forecast for here has at least three days with possible moisture in the next seven days. Here's hoping!! Not nearly as warm as the last few days. Highs in the 50s and maybe one or two in the 40s.

Pikes Peak looks like it normally would in May or maybe even early June.

Armadillolawncare
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Pikers Peak? They have a peak for scrub irrigators?

SprinklerGuy
03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Is somebody else moving to colorado? Better PM me first...

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Is somebody else moving to colorado? Better PM me first...

If you haven't read, Fimco is.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
It's late fall and the Native Americans on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Because he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell squat about what the winter would be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should start collecting firewood to be prepared.

But, being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, 'Is the coming winter going to be cold ?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be ready.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'

'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'We continue to believe it's going to be a very cold winter.'

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'

'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'

'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.

The weatherman replied, 'Those Indians in South Dakota are collecting firewood like crazy.'

THE MORAL: always remember this whenever you get advice from the government!

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Yup pretty dry. I took these two pics today while installing a pigtail today in Monument. jluksic - this is Lake Woodmoor. This is pretty full in the summer, and I don't think it is usually this low in the winter. BUT - I think they have been letting it drain due to faulty dam and valves that they will be repairing. Where the little "creek" is running in #2, is usually full of water.

Here is a link that has a picture in the header. Rocks on the left and building on the right are also seen in my top pic. http://www.woodmoorwater.com/

jluksic
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I know LW but typically don't drive by the lake - I'll take 105 or Woodmoor Drive through Woodmoor to get home.

Wow - picture comparison really show low level. Still lots of winter left though - at least 2 significant storms left so too early to panic. You know how it is here...

Where are you - Fox Run?

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Where are you - Fox Run?

Why yes I am. Actually Pleasantview Estates. About 3 blocks from FR Park. House cleaning and taking dog to the vet today. Going to do some shopping while dog is at vet. Trying to do some last things before I start working again. Although next week looks cool, and I've had 6 calls today.

Also putting together a water conservation postcard to send out.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I know LW but typically don't drive by the lake - I'll take 105 or Woodmoor Drive through Woodmoor to get home.

Wow - picture comparison really show low level. Still lots of winter left though - at least 2 significant storms left so too early to panic. You know how it is here...

I took the photo from The Barn in Woodmoor. We take care of the sprinklers there.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I took the photo from The Barn in Woodmoor. We take care of the sprinklers there.

What time of year does it green-up?

jluksic
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
nice area

Fox Run is great.

Small world between Fox Run, Woodmoor, KD, King Soopers, HD, etc... probably crossed paths.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
nice area

The low poster provides courtesy camping during elder tours.