PDA

View Full Version : SOLAR SYNC by Hunter

CANADIAN MIKE
03-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Here's another one for you guys, hunter's come out with this solar sync that's suppose to adjust your controller through out the season, suppose to replace the rain sensor. Can only be used with the PRO-C and ICC. What do you think?

AI Inc
03-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Check back with me in 2 months. Hunter rep is going to give me one and Im going to install it at my house.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
On sale at Ewing right now. I think about $62. TomTom and I talked with the Hunter guy at the ProGreen expo. If I remember right he was one of the designers of it. Sounds interesting.

Tom Tom
03-05-2009, 09:03 AM
On sale at Ewing right now. I think about $62. TomTom and I talked with the Hunter guy at the ProGreen expo. If I remember right he was one of the designers of it. Sounds interesting.

62? not bad.

Did it adjust the controller via temperature changes? I don't remember.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
62? not bad.

Did it adjust the controller via temperature changes? I don't remember.

Not sure. Hey - Ewing has some other good sales this month. 3/4" PVB $42. Now if that damn RP would go down in price. Pretty proud of those I guess.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Here's another one for you guys, hunter's come out with this solar sync that's suppose to adjust your controller through out the season, suppose to replace the rain sensor. Can only be used with the PRO-C and ICC. What do you think?
So does it have a rain sensor, or is it going off some wireless weather signal? At least here and in AZ, you cant count on a storm that brings 2" of rain a mile away to bring a drop to your property. There is no substitute for on site rain or moisture sensors.

Flow Control
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
3/4" PVB $42.

I have seen them as low as 36 this spring. Big difference from last year.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I have seen them as low as 36 this spring. Big difference from last year.

WOW! Considering they were around $60 last year, that's huge!! Even at $42 that's a deal though.

JeffY
03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
So does it have a rain sensor, or is it going off some wireless weather signal?

The solar sync is not wireless so you would have to make sure to spend extra time hiding the wire to the sensor if you are used to wireless.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
The solar sync is not wireless so you would have to make sure to spend extra time hiding the wire to the sensor if you are used to wireless.
Right. So wires aside, does it provide an onsite rain sensor or what? OP states it is supposed to replace the rain sensor. With what, is my question.

SprinklerGuy
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Sensors/solarsync.html

JeffY
03-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, it replaces the rain sensor. The solar sync has a rain sensor built into. Three sensors actually. One for short sudden rainfall, the other for sustained rainfall, and a third for temperature to increase or decrease run times.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
What RPZ prices are you seeing this year?

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
What RPZ prices are you seeing this year?

I think around $165 for the 3/4" 825. I think. haven't bought one yet this year. Spring order being placed next week.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes, it replaces the rain sensor. The solar sync has a rain sensor built into. Three sensors actually. One for short sudden rainfall, the other for sustained rainfall, and a third for temperature to increase or decrease run times.
I like it then.

JeffY
03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I think around $165 for the 3/4" 825.

Man, that's cheap. At least for us. My supplier has them for 212.50 at my price. We don't buy backflows at any rate since code here is that the plumbers have to do taps as part of an union agreement.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
All your connection points near the street? I can't see the ASV alternative being installed by plumbers.

JeffY
03-05-2009, 11:22 AM
All our connections are done inside the house. ASVs are not used around here and in fact illegal. If we see them, we are to have a plumber come out and replace them with a PVB or RP.
From our code book:
Sec. 49-275. Scope of license.
The holder of a valid lawn sprinkler contractor's or installer's license may install, repair or relocate only that part of the lawn sprinkler system from the discharge side of approved vacuum breaker or backflow preventer. Only the holder of a valid master plumber's license, or a journeyman plumber's license, working under such a master plumber, shall install the vacuum breaker or backflow preventer.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, not much room for ASV or AVB protection if it must be plumber installed.

AI Inc
03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Boots , do you do the majority of your own plumbing , or do you need a licensed plumber in your area? Not asking about code here , just common practice.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I got licensed plumber access, so it's a matter of indifference to me. I have mixed feelings about the various requirements, like when Jersey went to toxic-rated backflow (National Standard Plumbing Code) while their towns still had local ordinances requiring DCVAs. I remember hearing of one town with an inspector that wanted to see a single atmospheric vacuum breaker for whole system protection, with no master valve, and wanted it located in a valve pit.

AI Inc
03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
In all reality , I only pull permits in 2 towns that I work in . I also do the tie in and BF myself 75% of the time.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
If the plumbing is L copper and lead-free solder, and you use a PVB, it's difficult to see it ever becoming an issue.

I remember one town that had a "sprinkler tax" in the form of a so-many-dollars-per-sprinkler-head permit fee. I asked for a copy of the permit form to take away and fill out, and the clerk said something to the effect that in twenty years of her working in the office, she couldn't recall anyone ever submitting one of them.

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 02:35 PM
wanted it located in a valve pit.

6", I assume.

jimmyburg
03-05-2009, 03:01 PM
i have it at my house, so far its working, my seasonal adjustment was at 100% when i installed it and now its around 40%

AI Inc
03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Cool, keep us updated. How ya been?

jimmyburg
03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
been pretty good, the day i put it up the temp was around 40 degrees and the instructions says to run it at the summer programing. so far my controller has not come on once since i installed about a month ago.

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
so far my controller has not come on once since i installed about a month ago.

Have you checked the lower root zone of your plants with a moisture meter?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I got licensed plumber access, so it's a matter of indifference to me. I have mixed feelings about the various requirements, like when Jersey went to toxic-rated backflow (National Standard Plumbing Code) while their towns still had local ordinances requiring DCVAs. I remember hearing of one town with an inspector that wanted to see a single atmospheric vacuum breaker for whole system protection, with no master valve, and wanted it located in a valve pit.

I bet you can handle toxic stuff a lot better than that Doofus that got elected President.

It is now officially no longer the Bush Economy but the Obama Depression.

Oh by the way we won in Iraq. I'll check out that Hunter. Sounds very promising.

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I bet you can handle toxic stuff a lot better than that Doofus that got elected President.

It is now officially no longer the Bush Economy but the Obama Depression.

Oh by the way we won in Iraq. I'll check out that Hunter. Sounds very promising.

Wrong forum, Tex. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: I think you guys can work it out somewhere else. Lose the accent, by the way.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I heard the Congressional majority caused it to stop raining in Texas :p

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Just got in from 12 hours of talk radio. There is nothing else to discuss. The govt. has nationalized all the forums.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Just got in from 12 hours of talk radio. There is nothing else to discuss. The govt. has nationalized all the forums.
Not this forum. And never will.

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I heard the Congressional majority caused it to stop raining in Texas :p

Round up the usual suspects.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Not this forum. And never will.

Remember Boots will sell us out for an earmark. Still I'd keep a shotgun by your computer just in case.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Just got in from 12 hours of talk radio.

Turn to some sports talk. Political talk will just make us more bitter. Baseball Home Plate on XM channel 175.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Anger keeps me awake and alert.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Anger keeps me awake and alert.Try some opera instead.

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM

And builds ulcers :) I used to be a pretty angry guy in my younger days. Before my Lawnsite days.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Try some opera instead.

You want me dead don't you?

I'm home, coupla beers and some bread plus all the PTI DVRs I saved and I'll be another brain dead american with a screw up his azz again by tomorrow.

At least TO is gone WOOOHOOOO!

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
At least TO is gone WOOOHOOOO!

and AFraud is out for a while!!

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Angst is keeping you going, screw anger, lose the accent, lose the attitude.

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
At least TO is gone WOOOHOOOO!See? Sports is better than wingnut talk.

hoskm01
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Glad you made it home ok, Peter. Im making some bread tonight in your honor.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Angst is keeping you going, screw anger, lose the accent, lose the attitude.

Go Psycho somebody else Dude.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Glad you made it home ok, Peter. Im making some bread tonight in your honor.

Brought some O'Dell's Levity home with me. Just started a batch of Sourdough bread. Tomorrow I get back to work on selling my Dallas stuff and closing the deal on that house in the canyon.

BrandonV
03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
looks like it won't work w/ the ACC :-(

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Go Psycho somebody else Dude.

Go get some humor after you bake the bread, Bob.

CANADIAN MIKE
03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
What RPZ prices are you seeing this year?what's RPZ?

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 07:13 PM
what's RPZ?

Reduced Pressure (Zone)Assembly
Febco 825y is one version

CANADIAN MIKE
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks cookie monster, us canucks don't know all that termaknowllegie

DanaMac
03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Also known as an RP, eh?

Wet_Boots
03-05-2009, 07:25 PM
thanks cookie monster, us canucks don't know all that termaknowllegieFor what they charge, they could support their original name of Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Prevention Assembly.

Mike Leary
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
For what they charge, they could support their original name of Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Prevention Assembly.

Not just that, we require all brass fittings, except for unions, line-bored drain, conc slab and hot box.

mitchgo
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I call it RP.. I haven't heard of it being referred to RPZ other then this site.
Why is it ( zone? ) assembly.
other then the original name we refer it as RPBA . ( Backflow ) assembly.

I never get to test SVB's or PVBs because they don't allow them here... mainly DCVA...

RP's on irrigation is only allow if installed properly.

ARGOS
03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
I call it RP.. I haven't heard of it being referred to RPZ other then this site.

Hold on. I think I can take this one. Fresh out of class.

The RP has two check valves similar to the DC, but not completely. The RP has a 10 pound spring in the front and a 5 pound spring in the back. This creates a "zone" between springs. So, if 100psi is coming in then you would have 90 in the zone and 85 after the second check.

The DC's two checks are both 5 pound.

mitchgo
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
The RP has a 10 pound spring in the front and a 5 pound spring in the back. This creates a "zone" between springs. .

That's right. I forgot that one. Our proctor didn't emphasise the importance of the "zone" ohhh. Well now I'm in the "zone" so it's okay.

How did your class go? Learn any importance?

ARGOS
03-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Since before the class I could only identify the assemblies I learned tons. Learning the Differential Gauge and different valves was fun, but I must admit I enjoyed learning about how different cross connections are formed and how back flow events can take place. Crazy.

mitchgo
03-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Yeah it is. Scary if you think about it.

I test on average 10-30 backflows a week.
And coming up in a couple weeks We'll start our ' backflow festival ' ... Testing around 30-40 Backflows a day for about two weeks.

On every new customer I get the same question..
" So what is it?? What does it do?? "
So I explain.. Some think it's a great idea and others are like oh the chances are bs bla bla bla.
Anyways on irrigation assemblies you can't really see the dirty water too much. But I love testing fire suppression assemblies . With usual red or black water coming out I show the cup and say " Want to drink this?"

Most people just don't think about cross contamination or contaminated water.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 07:56 AM

I like it. It seems to be a solid up sell and I have high hopes to do so with a few systems with ICC's and Pro C's. Might be able to swap out some older controllers too with new Hunters.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I like it. It seems to be a solid up sell and I have high hopes to do so with a few systems with ICC's and Pro C's. Might be able to swap out some older controllers too with new Hunters.

Thats a bandwagon Im jumpinh on this yr . Gonna order up a couple hundred tear sheets.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Anybody want me to write my next blog on upselling?

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Anybody want me to write my next blog on upselling?

Yes.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Yes.......

All it takes is one to encourage me.

I've already got a title.

LOOK BEYOND THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM

Give me the weekend. I have a lot to catch up on.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
You the man.....

I'll be happy to "borrow" your writings for my own selfish gains. :laugh:

Definitely will be owing you a :drinkup: or two!

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
what's RPZ?

What this should have been..........found this beauty yesterday doing maintenance bidding.

Around here with our low pressure people go to great lengths to save a little PSI and a buck.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Blow out inside? What a PITA.

JeffY
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Not sure how you guys do it, but if we came across a situation like that, we would just hook up to the test port and blow it out through there. Of course, it would all depend on how large the property is, how long would it take to setup the hoses if we connect inside. There is a lot a variables and no one solution to a problem.