PDA

View Full Version : For tx irrigators

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
An interesting flyer I got from Irrigation System Solutions

www.isstx.com

Anybody have feedback? Offering a Technician class.

Non-Texans....Don't go away mad....Just go away....

But leave your comment we love jealousy

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I wish we had something like that here. We're kind of at the mercy of the supplier run courses. Sometimes Rainbird will have their courses in Denver as well.

I couldn't find prices on the site. Any idea what it costs?

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Now we know where Sprinkler Daddy got his chops.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Non-Texans....Don't go away mad....Just go away....

Those comments will come back to haunt you when you move north.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Those comments will come back to haunt you when you move north.

Nothing haunts me but my teenage memories. From this point forward I'm LIKE COMPLETE DUDE. What you see AND HEAR is what you get.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Nothing haunts me but my teenage memories. From this point forward I'm LIKE COMPLETE DUDE. What you see is what you get.

Thank gawd I don't have a audio feed.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I wish we had something like that here. We're kind of at the mercy of the supplier run courses. Sometimes Rainbird will have their courses in Denver as well.

I couldn't find prices on the site. Any idea what it costs?

See Dana isn't offended by my humor.

They are two day classes and run 349.00

Or you can take it at Richland College for 279.00

Guys name is Phil Sheppard. Really nice mailer card as well. I've never met the guy so I can't give any feedback.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 10:03 AM
They are two day classes and run 349.00

Or you can take it at Richland College for 279.00

Guys name is Phil Sheppard. Really nice mailer card as well. I've never met the guy so I can't give any feedback.

Maybe that is your next Colorado calling. Set it up.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe start an initiative to have Colorado duplicate the Texas irrigation laws.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
See Dana isn't offended by my humor.

I think we've all gotten better at reading each others humor, sarcasm, cynicism, tongue-in-cheek comments. I know I have.

Anyone realize we had a thread deleted last night? Not sure if it was my comments? Of if it played out more after I logged out. Oh well. Been a while since that happened.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Seriousness or Sarcasm here?

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Hey, now that is just crazy talk. Let's not go that far buddy.

hoskm01
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
We dont need to lower our standards.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Question Peter......what is the consensus of irrigation contractors regarding licensing in Texas?

There's an initiative here in Michigan that has progressed to the point where they are on the final draft of the licensing language. Legislative support may be difficult due to term limits.......new asse$ will occupy most seats come this November. The lobbyist and committee remain determined to educate and get this pushed through at some point in the future.

I'm all behind making the irrigation trade legit, as we are currently tagged as just landscapers with no real voice.

Anyway.......I asked the IA rep (privately) at this meeting if this has helped the Texas contractors, and in what way. He told me most don't like the licensing and they have real enforcement issues. Is this true? Will it just take time to work out all the bugs?

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Are those courses for entry-level techs or are advanced courses offered, too?

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 10:26 AM
For graduate work, there's a course in how to find a valve in 37 hours or less.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Question Peter......what is the consensus of irrigation contractors regarding licensing in Texas?

There's an initiative here in Michigan that has progressed to the point where they are on the final draft of the licensing language. Legislative support may be difficult due to term limits.......new asse$ will occupy most seats come this November. The lobbyist and committee remain determined to educate and get this pushed through at some point in the future.

I'm all behind making the irrigation trade legit, as we are currently tagged as just landscapers with no real voice.

Anyway.......I asked the IA rep (privately) at this meeting if this has helped the Texas contractors, and in what way. He told me most don't like the licensing and they have real enforcement issues. Is this true? Will it just take time to work out all the bugs?

Asking the IA for an opinion on TX irrigation is like asking Rush Limbaugh an opinion on Nancy Pelosi. TX does not recognize the IA auditor's course because it is a one day course and they feel it comes WAYYYY short on what needs to be learned.

LI has been a fact of life for 99% of TX irrigators so I don't know how any would have a reference point to complain from. I've been doing this for 30 years and was in the first group of LI fresh out of TAMU. My personal opinion is that LI has been good for TX and irrigators. It forces real learning on people who never took any classes to become irrigators but the pre exam course. Every service industry has enforcement issues. The bugs never get fully worked out. It is always a process. I would encourage every State to have a LI law for irrigators myself. Each state has unique water issues and a national organization like the IA would be very inadequate in addressing issues of local concern.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
For graduate work, there's a course in how to find a valve in 37 hours or less.

Everyone likes a nice ass , no one likes a smart ass.

Kiril
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I would encourage every State to have a LI law for irrigators myself. Each state has unique water issues and a national organization like the IA would be very inadequate in addressing issues of local concern.

I would encourage educating the general public so they can make informed decisions about their property.

I agree with your take on the IA, but in all honesty, from what I have seen most LI's are just as bad as the trunk slammers in these parts. Too much emphasis on profit margin and not enough emphasis on intelligent landscape design and management. I would have a hard time believing it is any different elsewhere.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I would encourage educating the general public so they can make informed decisions about their property.

I agree with your take on the IA, but in all honesty, from what I have seen most LI's are just as bad as the trunk slammers in these parts. Too much emphasis on profit margin and not enough emphasis on intelligent landscape design and management. I would have a hard time believing it is any different elsewhere.

The point to CEUs inmo is to educate the irrigator to educate the public. The opportunity for REAL learning exists here. Learning to incorporate REAL learning, our public duty, and entrepreneurial success is a tough challenge. The public needs to be educated on how to separate the wheat from the chaff in ALL services. Contractors can do this through reputation and advertising.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
We dont need to lower our standards.

;)..................;)

Kiril
03-06-2009, 10:49 AM
The public needs to be educated on how to separate the wheat from the chaff in ALL services.

Precisely! Why does the gov't need to create legislation/laws to do this for them?

The biggest problem I see with licensing tests and CEU requirements is
for every 1 person who actually learns and retains
there are 100 that forget what they learned almost immediately after the "test".

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Asking the IA for an opinion on TX irrigation is like asking Rush Limbaugh an opinion on Nancy Pelosi. TX does not recognize the IA auditor's course because it is a one day course and they feel it comes WAYYYY short on what needs to be learned.

Each state has unique water issues and a national organization like the IA would be very inadequate in addressing issues of local concern.

I could agree to the local concern (as we don't want to give our Great lakes water up), but the CLIA course I took was a 2 1/2 day dilio with an 80% failure rate.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Precisely! Why does the gov't need to create legislation/laws to do this for them?

The LI is part of that process. By telling the public this profession requires training and licensing they send a message to the public. Sort of like a stop light at a busy intersection. Do you question every stoplight?

Kiril
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I could agree to the local concern (as we don't want to give our Great lakes water up), but the CLIA course I took was a 2 1/2 day dilio with an 80% failure rate.

Point in case!

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Everyone likes a nice ass , no one likes a smart ass.I'm down with that

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:0uCv_SnIzlGbhM:http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/24/97/11415_20070719-vida-guerra-ass-1_122_535lo.0.0.0x0.432x599.jpeg

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Then I apologize. I'm just repeating what my instructor said. I'll followup what he was referring to.

Kiril
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
The LI is part of that process. By telling the public this profession requires training and licensing they send a message to the public. Sort of like a stop light at a busy intersection. Do you question every stoplight?

Sorry Pete, can't agree with you there. Seen way to many "licensed contractors" in many different fields that produce nothing more than garbage, whether it be intentional or just plain ignorance.

And yes, I do question stop lights.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Then I apologize. I'm just repeating what my instructor said. I'll followup what he was referring to.

None needed. I took it (and passed) in 02.......could be different now. Wasn't trying to trip you up. I know better than that.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Point in case!

I'm missing the point. Should show the difficulty in passing. It's not like a builders license where they GUARANTEE passing it for like $25.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM

I do! I come here to learn more about this. :laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Sorry Pete, can't agree with you there. Seen way to many "licensed contractors" in many different fields that produce nothing more than garbage, whether it be intentional or just plain ignorance.

And yes, I do question stop lights.

No need to apologize dude. I know where you are coming from but anarchy isn't much better.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Stop lights are unconstitutional :p

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
We had the first one in the country at Woodward & Michigan Ave.

Kiril
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm missing the point. Should show the difficulty in passing. It's not like a builders license where they GUARANTEE passing it for like $25.

80% fail .... but how many try again? Is there a real incentive to learn here or are the vast majority of people doing just enough to jump through whatever hoop is put in front of them?

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
80% fail .... but how many try again? Is there a real incentive to learn here or are the vast majority of people doing just enough to jump through whatever hoop is put in front of them?

One can have a drivers license and still be a crummy driver.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Good questions.

I would think those who are determined to get the initials behind their name and national accreditation that goes with it put forth the effort. I bet a bunch give up. It takes time and $$ to get it.

Our company rewards those who get certified in their field of choice. It may not bring in more $$ for the company, but it's bragging rights as far as having XXX amount of employees who are certified. Many in out industry could give a rats pituty being certified. I think it separates one company from another, and larger clients seem to favor this.

It's not horrible marketing either.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
As Mike would say - "I don't give a rip" about having any of the alphabet soup after my name. I care less about a college degree. I like to learn for the sake of learning. Not to justify myself or achievements. Also just as Mike said about crummy drivers with a license, there are plenty of crummy real estate agents, building contractors, lawyers, veterinarians, etc. that all have degrees and certifications. There are also many successful business owners without degrees.

I like the idea that Peter linked to for the sake of training people when we don't have the time, or patience, to train.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM

I do! I come here to learn more about this. :laugh:

"Attend well, Grasshopper, and you will gain enlightenment."

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:JERb1yln8TWmwM:http://www.dirtysouthwine.com/.a/6a00e551440084883401116858a9e6970c-pi

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 12:07 PM
"Attend well, Grasshopper, and you will gain enlightenment."

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:JERb1yln8TWmwM:http://www.dirtysouthwine.com/.a/6a00e551440084883401116858a9e6970c-pi

But Master......why are there those that don't see the benefit of smart asse$? :confused:

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I like the idea that Peter linked to for the sake of training people when we don't have the time, or patience, to train.

One of the reasons I sold the business was I could not find qualified personnel and had burned-out on the training gig.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Does get old, Im spoiled now. My 2 are in their late 30,s and have worked with me for 12 yrs. Some days I just take out the boat and give them calls via cell phone.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
One of the reasons I sold the business was I could not find qualified personnel and had burned-out on the training gig.

For me, I think it is tough to train somebody on how to fix, repair, and service a system when we don't install systems, since that would train them on how a system operates and should be designed.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
But Master......why are there those that don't see the benefit of smart asse$? :confused:"Those are the dumb asses."

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:sJBLwH62cFf0sM:http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/thumbnails/150thumbs/275822.jpg

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Does get old, Im spoiled now. My 2 are in their late 30,s and have worked with me for 12 yrs. Some days I just take out the boat and give them calls via cell phone.

Yep, I had my lead for 15 years, the second lead claimed to have experience, but had to be retrained. He had a messy divorce, got a meth habit and embezzled from the company account. So much for trusting employees. :dizzy:

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Yep, I had my lead for 15 years, the second claimed to have experience, but had to retrained. He had a messy divorce, got a meth habit and embezzled from the company account. So much for trusting employees. :dizzy:

My #1 I've had since '02, and he's about 32 or so. We were still doing installs that year so he learned form that, and I sent him out on service calls with another employee at that time. My #2 is about 52 or so, third season with us now, and probably has more years in than me. But none of his employers ever sent him to seminars, product seminars, training, or anything. He'd never see a rotor with a flow stop or knew what it was until I showed him. I've sent him to quite classes/seminars already and going to do more this year.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Yep, I had my lead for 15 years, the second lead claimed to have experience, but had to be retrained. He had a messy divorce, got a meth habit and embezzled from the company account. So much for trusting employees. :dizzy:

Is meth bad out that way? I was kinda surprised how bad it was when I was in WY in 05. It never realy took off around here, ya realy dont see or hear much of it.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Is meth bad out that way? I was kinda surprised how bad it was when I was in WY in 05. It never realy took off around here, ya realy dont see or hear much of it.

From the Denver Post

Methamphetamine appears to be making a retreat in Colorado.

The number of meth-lab busts in the state dropped from a high of 450 in 2002 to 46 in 2007, according to the National Clandestine Laboratory Database. Last year the North Metro Task Force serving northern Denver-area communities busted two small, mobile meth labs, compared with about 100 a year from 2002 to 2005.

I know Eugene, OR is or was bad for it. That's where my GF is from. And my sister works on an Indian reservation in Montana, and it is bad there.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I did not even see it coming, I knew the divorce was getting to him, child custody and all. But he was such a bright guy and prolly the best mechanic I ever had, I choose to ignore what should have been obvious; un-explained absences, mood shifts, etc. What a nefarious drug! :dizzy:

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 02:00 PM
From the Denver Post

Methamphetamine appears to be making a retreat in Colorado.

The number of meth-lab busts in the state dropped from a high of 450 in 2002 to 46 in 2007, according to the National Clandestine Laboratory Database. Last year the North Metro Task Force serving northern Denver-area communities busted two small, mobile meth labs, compared with about 100 a year from 2002 to 2005.

I know Eugene, OR is or was bad for it. That's where my GF is from. And my sister works on an Indian reservation in Montana, and it is bad there.

If Im not mistaken , OR has been the intravenous (sp?) drug capitol of the country for some time now.

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
As Mike would say - "I don't give a rip" about having any of the alphabet soup after my name. I care less about a college degree. I like to learn for the sake of learning. Not to justify myself or achievements. Also just as Mike said about crummy drivers with a license, there are plenty of crummy real estate agents, building contractors, lawyers, veterinarians, etc. that all have degrees and certifications. There are also many successful business owners without degrees.

Well of course there are. Certs and degrees are not the end all/be all. Although training is very important.

But do you really not see the importance or advantage of acknowledgment that is bestowed (by peers, teachers, others) through achievement, accomplishment and success, rather than self elevation? Kind of like getting home schooled and getting an "A", as opposed to going head to head with others. Recognition for meeting or exceeding standards and benchmarks can't be bad, can it?

Not that home schooling is bad.............could be a bad analogy.

My point being it shouldn't be dismissed or ignored, it should be reckoned with wouldn't you say?

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
For me, I think it is tough to train somebody on how to fix, repair, and service a system when we don't install systems, since that would train them on how a system operates and should be designed.

Agreed. I don't know how someone can be a great service tech without that experience.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Well of course there are. Certs and degrees are not the end all/be all. Although training is very important.

But do you really not see the importance or advantage of acknowledgment that is bestowed (by peers, teachers, others) through achievement, accomplishment and success, rather than self elevation? Kind of like getting home schooled and getting an "A", as opposed to going head to head with others. Recognition for meeting or exceeding standards and benchmarks can't be bad, can it?

Not that home schooling is bad.............could be a bad analogy.

My point being it shouldn't be dismissed or ignored, it should be reckoned with wouldn't you say?

Wish homeowners felt that way, most dont care.

DanaMac
03-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I just get tired of people saying we can't succeed without having a degree, licenses, certifications, etc. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, and too many people give me the evil eye because I never went to college. Never wanted to go. Hated school. Could I have benefited from it? Hell yes. I may not be a millionaire, but I'm doing pretty good. And right now, better than many college educated folks that can't get a job.

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I hear ya there, I went to a trade school and speant 4 yrs taking nothing but a pen to clesses. By the time that was done the idea of college just didnt do it for me. I know millionaires that never finished 10th grade.

If ya want a good read , read " the millionaire next door" surprising info in it.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I just get tired of people saying we can't succeed without having a degree, licenses, certifications, etc. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, and too many people give me the evil eye because I never went to college. Never wanted to go. Hated school. Could I have benefited from it? Hell yes. I may not be a millionaire, but I'm doing pretty good. And right now, better than many college educated folks that can't get a job.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Dripit good
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM

I can relate Dana.........never went to college and HATED school myself.

It is a measure of success though.......even though having it won't buy you a cup of coffee (or beer) for free.

I'm not even fit for public consumption, not when you have a freak flag like me.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 02:42 PM
When I was getting started, I went to "Toro U" and W*M seminars; I learned tons without the hype. Plus, we got lunch!

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
speakin g of lunch, I went to a supplier show yesterday . Shittiest lunch I ever saw . I think they put this show on for about $350.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
speakin g of lunch, I went to a supplier show yesterday . Shittiest lunch I ever saw . I think they put this show on for about $350.

I've had to remind my suppliers, more than a few times, "you work for me, I don't work for you."

AI Inc
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Sign of the times I guess. I noticed last March , the shows were getting weaker.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Mods Delete all the meaningless blah blah blah non TX posts.

Thank you

irritation
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Thank you

They need a Texass only section.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
They need a Texass only section.

I believe I addressed the thread accordingly.

I'll start a new thread for you guys.

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll start a new thread for you guys.

Oh, be still my foolish heart; can't wait for the insight from someone who's never installed a sprinkler system.

Bruiser
03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
This class is for the new Irrigation Technician license. This license will replace the Irrigation Installer license that will no longer be issued after June, 1 2009.

Licenses for installers will expire on December 31, 2009. After June 1, 2009, no new installer licenses will be issued. Holders of a new license type, irrigation technician, will be able to install a backflow-prevention device and install, maintain, alter, repair, or service an irrigation system. A licensed irrigation technician must complete an approved training class and pass an examination.

There is a new requirement to have either a licensed irrigator or irrigation technician on-site during the installation of an irrigation system effective January 1, 2010.

Wet_Boots
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Thank youWe lose more threads that way.....

Mike Leary
03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
We lose more threads that way.....

Like it matters.The hard core will persevere.